More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by sebbsio sebbsio

What's next?

She continues the interview while giving you a tour of the kitchen.

"Please, John, follow me - we're getting ready for service and I want to check with the kitchen - let me apologize for having to do this at this time, my schedule is pretty tight and this was the only time I could fit you in." Chef Jane says.

"Not a problem, chef - lead the way."

She shoots you another smile and gathers her clipboard along with your resume and tucks it under her arm. You can't help but quickly eye her up and down as she stands and makes her way towards the kitchen. Chef attire isn't the most appealing, but her chef whites aren't as baggy as you're used to seeing and they hug her body rather nicely, not to mention her apron which is tied just above her shapely bottom. You snap out of it and button up your suit as you follow her, taking another moment to admire the dining area as it comes to life with servers, back waiters and bar-backs all getting ready for evening service. You've worked at fancy restaurants before, but none of them come close to this... this is what it's all about once you get to the Michelin level - details, details and even more details.

Chef Jane stops for a moment to talk with Amuse's master sommelier for the night's wine picks - you crane your neck back and watch what seems like and elegant dance going on before you as the dining room comes to life, almost like something out of 'Beauty and the Beast." Every single person knows exactly what to do as each table gets a white table cloth which is quickly ironed out for any wrinkles. Plates, glasses and silverware are are carefully handled with cloth gloves and gently placed on the table and measured to make sure they're the correct distance from one another. Hand picked bouquets are placed in the center of each table as well in elegant glass vases, highlighting the crisp atmosphere of the spring season.

"Sorry, John let's get back to it. I wouldn't want to keep you here once the doors open." Chef Smith leads you towards the back of the kitchen and through a heavy set of swinging traffic doors. Suddenly, you find yourself standing in one of the best kitchens in New York City, Chef Jane points to a table over in the corner of the kitchen, reserved for VIP's who'll be treated to the sight of chefs preparing food and what it really means to work in a restaurant of this caliber. She scurries over to her sous chefs to go over some last minute menu changes, all while watching every station like a hawk - knowing exactly what each of her line cooks should be doing. You also can't help but notice that most of the chefs, if not all of them are female... you saw a man come in and out the kitchen, but he was carrying plates, and receiving orders through the back door, so they were most likely a porter.

You unbutton your top and take a seat just as Chef Jane makes her way back towards you. She apologizes again for the inconvenience and takes several minutes to go over the cuisine at Amuse, and how menu changes work in her restaurant. After answering a few questions about your previous work experience and how you've grown as a cook, she takes down your contact information and assures you that with the kind of experience you have, there won't be a need for a second interview and you have the job. She goes over the starting pay, culture and the opportunities for growth cooks have here - you eagerly accept, and she tells you to come in at the end of the week to start.

Are you ready for your first day?

  • No further chapters
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)