More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by SecondOrion SecondOrion

Whose story do you follow?

Ripley Dewbend, Tutor

I will be writing this story in first person as I am far more comfortable with it than third person.

-

Getting a class outside of the norm isn't always something to be happy about. It's dozens of times more likely for it to be something completely worthless than something exceptional. Fortunately, mine seems to be neither. As the word "Tutor" shone in the air above the crystal, the auditor stepped up to the podium, pressed a card up to the ball, handed it to me, and swiftly sent me on my way.

"Well shit, now what?" I wondered aloud, standing blankly outside the testing center. Being from a middle class family living in the capital, I've had a decently good life, as good as you could get without being a noble at least. Setting off in the direction of home, I glance down at the card I now hold in my hand. It's a simple identification card with my name, age (which would supposedly update automatically), and class written on it. Consulting my mind as I had been told before, I brought up a mental image of my status.

Ripley Dewbend (Lv. 30 Tutor)

HP: 2376/2376

MP: 204/204

Skills

(Passive) Head Start: Initial level +30

Acquire Skill I (Cost: 150 MP): The user gains basic knowledge of a skill that a tutee wishes to learn. Requires at least one tutee.

Tutor I (Cost: 10 MP): The quintessential ability of a tutor. The user forms a tutoring contract with a tutee, granting the following benefits:

1. The tutor gains experience points relative to the growth of their tutee. (If a tutee gains a level, the tutor will gain a level, no matter the difference in level-up requirements.)

2. Tutees will improve 20% faster in all areas when taught by a tutor.

3. Weak mental magic will be applied to the tutee in order to facilitate understanding and willingness to be tutored. (Ignores all resistances and immunities)

Warning: Tutoring contract cannot be created without consent from both parties.

Woah. I read and re-read my status over and over. I've gotten an insane class! Starting off at level 30 is a MASSIVE advantage. I don't know if it works like other classes, but if it does, I could end up with 9 skills right off the bat! Not to mention, over 2000HP is incredible. With that much I could tank a hit from Crowley without issue! Those skills too, if I could get a tutee, I'd be set for life! Even better, if I could get my hands on an attractive girl...

Excited beyond belief, I decide not to head home just yet, and instead make a beeline for the Class Advancement Center. The place is full of people milling about, some overjoyed, some despondent, others anxiously awaiting their turn. I join the line, unable to contain my giddiness. Anxiously I wait as one by one people walk away from the counters, the line slowly inching ever forwards. 5th in line, 4th in line, 3rd in line, when suddenly I catch sight of a familiar face. Laura. The most beautiful woman I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and yet somehow the most vile in character. Of course, she is Crowley's fiancée. How cliché. You would think that these two evils would be united in their of those around them, but they hate each other as much as they hate me, and would often try and one-up each other in their of me. Turning slightly away in the vain hope that I could hide from her, I find myself the person next in line. My heart is thumping as I glance as subtly as I can over at Laura. She still hasn't noticed me.

"Next!" called the clerk, and just like that I was safe.

"Identification card." I laid the card on the counter in between him and his destiny. The card was placed against a flat slate, presumably a magical tool, then handed back to him. The clerk turns to the table behind him, grabs a leather sheet with a rune engraved on it, and lays it on the counter.

"Place your hand in the center." commands the clerk, clearly tired of saying the same thing over and over. I lay my hand on the sheet and close my eyes. Of course, closing my eyes doesn't do anything to prepare me mentally as the status update appears immediately in my brain.

<6 Skill choices available>

<29 Skill points available>

I jumped with joy. Literally. I hop up and down, shouting with glee. All my dreams could come true! It took some half a lifetime to reach level 30, and here I am, getting it entirely for free. Though, such a boon couldn't come without a price. My sudden outburst had attracted the attention of most in the room. Including Laura. Not having realized my mistake, I run happily for the door, only to run directly into the plush wall that had stepped into my path. I savor the feeling for just a moment before I'm knocked clean off my feet.

"Pervert!" shouted Laura, reveling in the opportunity. A guard walks over to the two of us, takes in the situation of me on the ground and Laura standing tall and unfazed above me, and somehow makes the snap decision that I'm still at fault. Brusquely grabbing me by the shirt, I'm lifted off the ground and dragged towards the door to the guard room. If this is how this is going to happen I might as well make the best of it. I quickly call up my menu to choose at least one of my skills that might maybe possibly help me out of this predicament.

Skill Choice:

(Passive) Authority: The user emits a constant aura of authority, causing others to respect, trust, and submit to the user more easily.

Or

(Passive) Teacher's Superiority: Tutees will be unable to harm the user, directly or indirectly. Tutees will become unable to harbor thoughts of harming the tutor. Inadvertent harm is unaffected.

Great, now what. Authority has a higher chance of helping me out in this situation, but Teacher's Superiority sounds like a great skill to have in future, and if I let it go now, who knows if I'll ever be able to get anything like it again.

Which skill should I choose?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)