More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by Shandy Shandy

Right, Left, or stairs?

Right

Shrugging, you flip a mental coin and turn down the right corridor. You pass two doors marked with brass number plaques, then find a third with "Headmistress" on it. You knock, then hearing no answer open the door. You step into an outer office that seems vacant. An open door leads to an inner office.

"Hello? Ms. Naylor?" you call out.

There is a sound from the inner office and a woman appears in the door. She looks at you with a severe expression, glancing at a wall clock.

"Mr. Carter I assume. You're late." Her voice is tight and clipped, matching the expression on her cold face.

"I had a little trouble finding your office."

"Not an auspicious start. Come in Mr. Carter." She gestures with a sharp nod then steps back into her office. You follow her, trailing your suitcase behind you.

"You can leave that at the door. Have a seat," she says, indicating a wooden chair in front of her desk as she seats herself behind it.

"Very pleased to meet you Ms. Naylor, and very pleased to be here," you say with as you sit down. Now that you're closer you see that she's younger than you had first thought, somewhere in her mid thirties, but doing her best to dress and look austere and authoritarian.

"I'm sure," she replies. "Well let's not waste time. The students will arrive tomorrow, although a few of them are already here. Monday there will be orientation meetings for students, sorted by grade. Here is the schedule. Classes begin on Tuesday. Here is your classroom, and schedule of classes. You will be housed in Faculty cottage 4. Here is the key. You will share it with another Faculty member. A man of course. Here is a map of the campus grounds. Do you have a vehicle?"

"No Ma'am"

"Should you acquire one, there is a parking stall at your cottage. Any questions so far?"

"It all seems straightforward so far."

"There will be a staff meeting tomorrow evening in the Faculty lounge. Seven o'clock. Precisely. Understood?"

"Yes Ma'am," you pause, returning her stern gaze. "My apologies for being late Ma'am. We seem to have got off on the wrong foot."

She looks at you without expression for a moment then takes a deep breath as though to steady herself.

"Mr. Carter, if you find my attitude curt, you are correct. I am not in agreement with the decision to bring men into the faculty. The board of regents may believe that male teachers will have a positive influence, but I disagree. I suspect the presence of men will lead to some unhealthy and inappropriate behaviour among the more wilful students."

"I see."

"Do you? I hope you do. I trust that you can behave in an appropriate manner even if some of the girls cannot," she sighed, looking at you with careful eyes. "Your credentials as a teacher are very good, Mr. Carter, but I cannot say the same for you behavioural issues. The board of regents may believe you have reordered you life and deserve a second chance. That is their business. I have my doubts and will deal severely with any evidence of wayward behaviour on your part, or any such behaviour in students which I have reason to believe you are responsible for. Is that clear?"

You nod solemnly.

"I came here to teach Ms. Naylor. That's all I came to do."

Is she done?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)