More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Cantalope Cantalope

Which path do you take?

Right: check the noise

You weigh your options and decide that it's probably worth investigating the noise. Maybe it was an exit? Or a monster... Maybe it was another prisoner? You weren't totally thrilled about that idea either, most of the criminals you knew weren't a friendly bunch. Come to think of it, maybe you shouldn't be going this way-

A faint light appears at the end of the hall and you quickly snuff out your torch, relying on the deep shadows to conceal you. With baited breath you watch as the light grows brighter, shining from around a bend. Heavy footfalls echo down the passage to you and you flatten yourself against the wall, edging closer. With your abilities in order for you to have any chance at all you'll either need to outrun or surprise them, there was nowhere to hide in the empty hall. Tightening your grip on the torch you get into position behind the corner, holding the club high for a surprise attack. The footsteps round the corner and-

The very surprised face of a young man is all you catch before the light vanishes and darkness envelops you. You make a wild swing and catch something soft, eliciting a loud OOF and scuffling footsteps. "Wait-cough-I mean-cough no harm! cough" you step back quietly. You hadn't really intended to pummel the next person you saw but the circumstances made you jumpy.

After a moment of gasping breaths the light rekindles, revealing a gangly youth bent over his stomach. He's wearing a faded grey cloak with the insignia of the magi emblazoned on its front. He appears to be holding flame in his open hand. A mage? An apprentice by the looks of it: he was still dealing with the tail end of puberty. Shoulder length sandy hair falls in a tangly mess around his slightly pockmarked but otherwise sharp features. The too small clothes and too long limbs complete the image. You actually feel a little bad for hitting him with the club, he just looked so awkward.

He eyes you up and down warily, your black-clad figure and concealed face were intentionally intimidating and he takes a few steps back before straightening. "You a prisoner too?" You nod wordlessly. Your voice was a bit too high to be intimidating. "O.K. then, I'm Daniel, apprentice... well, former apprentice to Charms Master Alexi." He waits for you to introduce yourself. You remain silent. "Alright then. Pleased to meet you. Don't suppose you could point me in the right direction?" You shake your head slightly. "Bummer. Mind if I stick with you? The two of us would stand a better chance together." He looks at you hopefully.

Wow. Not as awkward as you'd have thought. Considering he'd just had the wind knocked out of him by a shadowy figure dressed in black he was taking this encounter in stride. You consider him for a moment. It would be nice to have a mage with you: you wouldn't have to worry about light and as a local he was bound to know more about this place than you did. Worse comes to worse you could shove him in the direction of the monsters and run. Then again you did just meet him, as a mage his awkward appearance might be just an illusion.

Do you accept Daniels offer?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)