More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 39 by Lalelilo69 Lalelilo69

Transmutation

Professor Vihaan

John walked into a small classroom and was surprised to be greeted by cacophony. In the center of the room was a table laden with small animals. Squirrels, hamsters, mice, chickens, and a hedgehog. Standing around the table were ten or so students and what must have been another one of Aarav’s brothers. The professor nodded at John and motioned that he should come close to the table.

John walked up to an empty space and waited for the lesson to begin. After a few minutes, the professor waved his hand and the animals went silent. He began to lecture.

“Today, we will be practicing a facet of Transmutation that is often overlooked. That is, the transmuting of living creatures.”

There were several audible gasps from the students.

“It is often thought of as inhumane and taboo, though it is actually a respectful branch of the art. It is only inhumane if used inhumanely. The general prospect of it can actually be quite humanitarian if used with such intentions. With it, one may strengthen an ally in battle, lend speed to a steed, or even give courage to a timid creature. It is a very complex process to alter a mind, though, so we will not be covering it in this class.

“What you will be doing is picking an animal, performing a minor transmutation, and then removing the transmutation. I will guide you in the process. First, you reach into your Spirit and grasp your power. Then, you guide the power towards your target. This will trigger a connection between their spirit and yours. Through that connection, you will gain a basic understanding of what functions are within your power to alter. Once you understand this, you will guide your power to alter. If you are successful, you will be able to see a manifested aura. If you are not successful, you will feel your power rush back into your body. This rush is often uncomfortable, so I advise you to carefully choose the transmutation you wish to attempt.”

Some students shifted uncomfortably.

“The process to remove a transmutation is similar to that of applying it. The difference is that once you trigger the bond, you will feel your power within the creature and then you must pull it back into yourself. It is rare to fail a removal, but if it happens it will not cause discomfort to either party so just try again.”

He paused, looking at the students one by one.

“You may begin.”

With another wave of his hand, the little animals started chittering, clucking, and squeaking again. The students all had looks of intense concentration on their faces. John looked at the animals. They were just scampering around the table.

How are we supposed to know who’s trying to alter which animal? What if everyone goes for the hedgehog?

John’s question was answered as one by one the animals stopped moving randomly and started turning to specific students. A squirrel pattered right up to a girl and just stared at her. John shrugged.

Makes sense I guess. Spirit connection.

He closed his eyes and reached inside himself like he had in Alteration the day before. He felt the warring elements, and grabbed at them. Curious as to what it would do in this situation, he grabbed at the flaming mana and pulled it to the surface. He didn’t stop there, like he had in Alteration. He reached out with it and opened his eyes. He saw a tendril of his mana, though not as he was used to seeing it. It literally burned, bright orange pure energy flames flickering along the length. He reached out with it, slightly concerned that he might burn the creature he touched.

To his surprise, a mouse ran from across the table towards his mana and nibbled at it. An info box appeared right in front of his face.

Transmutation Menu: Fire

+10 Strength

+5 Agility

+1 Libido

Interesting. If I had picked a different element, I wonder what kind of things I could have altered.

He tapped the Agility option, making sure that the students were focused on their own tasks. The mouse cocked its head, then John’s mana enveloped it. The mouse ran away, noticeably faster and now covered by a burning layer of orange energy. John let the magic whip back into him, curious as to what the “discomfort” would feel like. He flinched. It was like being pinched in the brain.

Interesting.

“Well done, Mister Newman. I see that my brothers were not exaggerating your skill. Now remove your transmutation.”

John nodded and reached out with his mana again. The mouse sped to him, nibbling again.

Transmutation Menu: Fire

+10 Strength

-5 Agility

+1 Libido

He looked down, making the menu flat against the table, mentally berating himself for forgetting the professor. He drummed his fingers on the table, then used it to mask his tapping of the Agility option.

The mouse shuddered as the aura got sucked back into John. Then he pulled the mana back, carefully this time. The mouse walked away, scampering around and trying to get the attention of the other mice, who were all in the midst of spirit connections.

“Well done. You may continue attempting different transmutations if you wish, but you passed today’s assignment.”

John nodded, already reaching for the push and pull of his mana. He reached out with it, and it was much slower this time. The tendril of bright orange mana pushed and pulled, slowly making its way away from John like the tide coming in. The same mouse came scampering back to nibble its new favorite snack.

Transmutation Menu: Water

+10 Wisdom

+5 Agility

+1 Intellect

John frowned at the menu.

Wisdom and intellect won’t show very well.

He shrugged mentally and let the magic seep back into him. The mouse stayed where it was, looking at John expectantly. He reached for the shock of his electric mana. It eluded his grasp for a bit. When he finally grabbed hold of it he let it out as he had done with the other magic, but this time his mana manifested as an arc of orange electricity. It zapped out of him and hit the mouse in the chest. The mouse shook its head as if dizzy, little sparks darting to and fro on its fur.

Transmutation Menu: Lightning

+10 Agility

+5 Intellect

+1 Charisma

How fast would it go with that much Agility? He thought as he tapped the option.

The mouse sped around the table, almost a blur. John grinned as he took the energy back and reached for the last of his elemental mana. The immovable, unquestionable strength. It was quite that though: immovable. He could grab it, but he couldn’t bring it any farther than the surface. He didn’t dare leave it on the surface though, for fear of triggering an earth aura skill.

His grin faded and was replaced by a slight frown. Then he shrugged and decided to watch the other students’ efforts. So far, two of the animals had auras. A hamster was glowing purple and hopping around. A yellow auraed chicken ran around the edge of the table, its feet a blur. The professor seemed pleased with his students’ progress as he paced around the edge of the table, murmuring encouragements and advice.


Spanish lyrics started flowing. Bass guitar flowed with a bobbing gait. A guitar shredded a lick. Bongos and Congas kept a steady rhythm. Loudly. Arabella bobbed her head to the beat as the bachata played over her radio. She shuffled side to side a bit, trying not to dance as she walked down the hallway and hummed the lyrics.

Being suspended kinda sucks but this is nice.

Oye, Ara! Turn that down a little I’m trying to concentrate!”

A voice from the living room cried out to her. Arabella sighed, then took a deep breath and yelled back.

Mira malagradecida no soy tu sierva! The damn radio’s in the room you’re in! Turn it down yourself!”

An exaggerated groan.

“Fiiiine!”

The music lowered slightly. Arabella continued her half-dance-half-walk to the patio, where she sat and sang.

estoy enamorada y el no sabe nada

de cuanto lo quiero

es que yo tengo un secreto ... ... ...


John stood and watched as all but two of the fourteen, he had counted, students succeeded in transmuting their animals.

“Class is nearly over. Miss Jones, Miss Murphy, you failed today’s assignment. I hope the next lesson is not as difficult for you.”

He waved his hand and all the animals started to run around randomly again. The students walked away from the table in twos and threes, talking loudly. John turned towards the door just as the bell rang, and was teleported to his next class.

Enchantment

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)