More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Gfoxx2 Gfoxx2

Who's getting in the booth, and who's popping the changes into the touchscreen?

Pff, that's way too dangerous. Let's try animal testing! With a dog!

"While I appreciate the enthusiasm," Sam responded, missing Roy's tone entirely, "I don't believe it would be ethical to use a human being for the first test."

Roy couldn't believe his luck. "Alright then, no people. So what's the plan?"

Sam held up a finger, as he quickly made his way to a smaller, sheet covered object that Roy hadn't noticed at first. He pulled the sheet off revealing a medium sized dog crate, and housed inside of it was a Welsh Corgi that Roy immediately recognized. It was a smallish dog, with stumpy short legs and upward pointing wolf-like ears; the fur on its back and legs was a golden brown color, and its underside was stark white.

"Umm... You're putting your dog in that machine? Is Geddy going to be okay?" Roy asked, apprehension coloring his words. Being that he wasn't a heartless maniac, the last thing he wanted to see was a dog getting hurt. Especially a dog he knew personally. Sam had adopted Geddy around two and a half years ago. The two of them had strolled into the local animal shelter originally just to get an idea for what kind of pet Sam would've wanted for his sixteenth birthday, but ended up leaving with her instead. She wasn't technically a rescue, as she had actually been born in the animal shelter they adopted her from. It was rare, certainly, for a breed as desired as Corgis to be abandoned, but there Geddy's mother was all the same. To no one's surprise as soon as they were weaned, all of the puppies from the litter were adopted within a few days. They were very lucky that day, as Geddy was the last of the litter, and Roy knew that Sam loved her nearly as much as he loved his experiments.

Sam scoffed at Roy's trepidation. "Of course, she'll be fine. All we'll be doing is changing her fur color to black. I've run the calculations, and at worst, the device simply won't do anything at all." To Roy, his confidence was simultaneously reassuring and unnerving.

Before Roy could respond, though, Sam handed him a small Polaroid photo. It was a picture of Geddy the Corgi, sitting in the green grass of Sam's backyard, looking straight at the camera with a quizzical doggy head tilt.

"Listen Sam, I'm not sure we should..." Roy began, but by the time he looked up from the photo, Sam had already opened the booth door and placed the dog carrier inside. Geddy let out a little whine, obviously uncomfortable being confined, but Sam easily quieted her with a small bone he pulled out of one of his lab coat pockets. Sam closed the door gently, and whispered something inaudible to his beloved dog, before moving over to the touchscreen. He quickly typed something in, before turning to address Roy once again.

"It'll only be a moment. There's no need to worry. After all, we occasionally, for the sake of SCIENCE, must press beyond our individual comfort zones, and into the realm of the UNKNOWN! Now, I need you to stand here, where I am right now, while I move back towards the stairs, and hit the Engage button. You're going to be the control group; that's what the Polaroid is for."

Roy shrugged, deciding that Sam would do this regardless of whether or not he kept protesting. In any case, he knew Sam would never try anything that stood a chance of seriously harming that dog. He took his place by the touchscreen, and Sam moved back towards the stairs, holding a similar Polaroid photo. "Lab assistant! Hit the button!" Sam exclaimed, obviously relishing in the drama of the moment.

Oh man, I hope that dog's going to be okay.

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)