More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by MidbossMan MidbossMan

Whose strip-show would you like to see?

Palutena (Kid Icarus) by MidbossMan

Some believe the goddess of Skyworld tends to do nothing but sit in the clouds and allow her champion angel to do all the work for her, while she enjoys a nice bubble bath and kicks her feet up. Not true! While Pit handled the rough-and-tumble work of facing down the minions of darkness on the surface and below the clouds, Lady Palutena had her hands full taking care of all sorts of matters just as important to humankind's survival.

In this rare case, that meant swallowing her pride and accepting a mysterious deal. A message had arrived to her sky palace one day with an offer: a vessel of power that would give Pit the strength to match any demonic forces. All that was required of her was to spend one day entertaining in an extra-dimensional space, participating in a certain game-show. She was told her dignity would be tested, but, being a noble goddess herself, she had no doubt she'd come out on the other side smiling.

"Bargaining with a goddess? I feel there's something in the scripts I handed down to humanity that warns them against doing that. I give in my wisdom, they give in tribute-- that's the way it's supposed to work, isn't it? I'll let it slide this time, since I'm not really in a position to turn down any help," Palutena sighed to herself as she reclined on a cream-colored, gold framed lounge sofa, reading over the message's contents one more time. She was dressed in a regal white toga with a fabulous gold laurel clown and matching accessories, kicking one slender leg idly. She flipped her voluminous green hair over one shoulder with the back of her hand, then rested her cheek on her palm.

With Pit out of the palace, she was alone, and glad for it. Something about the message gave her the feeling she wanted to do this one without him. The thought had occurred to her that she might be flying straight into a trap, but the goddess was capable of protecting herself with her divine powers if it came down to that. She felt confident and unfettered-- whoever thought they were strong enough to grant power to a goddess was someone she was interested to meet.


Palutena remembered flying high above the clouds, heading to the meet-up point the message had mentioned, when suddenly, a star-filled portal had popped out in front of her. Before she could change direction, she'd been swallowed up by it, then thrown into a void of blackness. She hadn't been able to get back out. Now she was certain that this was a trap-- and she was growing increasingly concerned she'd be unable to beam-of-light her way out of it.

"Pit's going to be worried sick," she spoke quietly to herself. As she did, she noticed that her voice didn't seem to reverberate as though in a void. Rather, it sounded like she was in a theater with strong acoustics. "Is anyone there? I'm still interested in that vessel you talked about, but this is a pretty lousy way to treat a guest, especially a goddess!"

"You would talk to me of poor treatment of goddesses? Then perhaps you have forgotten how it was you treated me!"

"That can't be..." Palutena gasped, raising her rod in a defensive pose. She cast light from its tip, illuminating the whole area. "Medusa? Hades revived you again?"

"That ship sailed when I cut off his head, sister," the fallen goddess laughed bitterly, her venomous voice seeming to reverberate all around. "Not Hades!"

"Then this is all your doing? You tricked me into coming out alone to meet you?"

"This isn't my trick," Medusa replied. "I'm a mere spectator. But I'm going to savor what you're in store for... as will the surface world, skyworld, and even the hells below! Your punishment is about to be broadcast as a vision directly into their minds! All eyes are on you!" At her words, many one-eyed, tentacled monsters appeared-- Monoeyes, the rank and file of Medusa's army.

"So that's your scheme. But if you're not behind it, who is? And why would they trap me here? Is there really even a vessel?"

Medusa's gigantic face, pale-skinned with snakes writhing all around it, leered out of the dark. "The vessel is real, though I'm loathe to say it. As for why they'd trap you: entertainment, as I understand it! I'm only hear to be something they call a 'guest announcer.' To really enhance your humiliating experience. They also said that you aren't trapped at all. You are a contestant who may opt out at any time... Of course, if you do, you forfeit the sponsor's vessel and all of its strength."

Palutena was beginning to understand that Medusa really didn't understand this much better than she did, although she was clearly pleased by the arrangement regardless. If what was about to happen played to her desire for vengeance that strongly, it must be something truly wicked. "This is all to throw the people into despair, huh? They're not one of my fans, then," she joked with a bemused smile.

"... Actually, I think that they are one of your fans. I don't believe anyone will be feeling despair but you, actually. The people of your realm might be delighted, slobbering fools that they are."

The goddess raised one eyebrow and tilted her head. "Is this a riddle, Medusa?"

"Enough of your inane questions! It's time to move on to the next stage of your humiliation!" Medusa's eyes widened and shined in the dark, along with her fangs.

A chill ran up up Palutena's spine, causing her bare shoulders to shiver. It seemed fighting Medusa wouldn't do her any good. Her experience lately had been battles where she could juggle people into the air with light rays and then beat them senseless with magic, but it seemed none of that would do her any good here. Just what was in store for her?

What costume will the contestant wear?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)