More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by serpent3000 serpent3000

What's next?

Orientation

All students in your year, which total to less that sixty, filed into the Grand Hall, a large open area which serves as an auditorium. All students took their seats, separated by House, you noticed glumly.

But thankfully, Professor Dove touched your arm, and led you over to a small area separate from the other four Houses.

“I’m sorry it’s so lonely, sweetie.” she said a little sadly, “But we do-“

“It’s fine.” you took a breath, “I’ll be separated from everyone else my whole time here anyway.”

“Now hold on just a second. Just because your room doesn’t have another teen in it doesn’t mean you’re cursed a life of solitude. Make friends, mingle, live a little. Then take solace in the fact that you have a room all to yourself.” Professor Dove ordered. You almost responded with ‘yes ma’am’, but decided against that, due to her earlier reaction.

“I’ll try.” you said, and she rubbed your shoulder before hurrying towards podium, where she joined two other members of the faculty who were about to take the podium. An elderly but intimidating man introduced himself as Frederick Hallgrave, the Headmaster of the academy, and a former Cerberus student nearly a century ago, much like Professor Dove had told you.

Next, a young disheveled professor in a white lab coat introduced himself as Samael Schwartz, head of the school's medical department and professor of Alchemic studies.

Finally, a familiar busty, curvy brunette in a short sweater dress and knee high griffin leather boots introduced herself as Rebecca Dove, the dean of students and professor of Archaic Sorcery. You weren’t sure how her outfit had completely changed in the minute since you’d last seen her, then recalled you were at a school for magic.

After a few more lectures on the importance of working together and studying hard, the orientation came to a close with the public grading of student's magical potential. This is when each student is led onto the stage and tested for their magical aptitude by Professor Schwartz.

A white crown carved from the branch of a thousand year old tree is placed on the student's head and depending on the color the wood turns, a student's potential magical ability is determined by Professor Schwartz on a scale of 1 to 100.

Most students average about 40 to 52 on the scale, he announced as part of his introduction speech. You watched, however, as a short but beautiful blonde with sage green eyes and an ample chest took the crown and managed to get a score of 93. Loud whispers that even you could hear broke out amongst the students and you overheard the girl's identity with ease. She was from House Phoenix and her name was Harmony Ashcroft. Her family founded the Academy centuries ago, meaning she comes from deep magical roots and a privileged background. They said she's very antisocial and finds the other students beneath her not even acknowledging them if their score is below an 80.

Too quickly your turn came, so you nervously walked up to the stage and prayed that you’d get a number that won't embarrass you. Schwartz clearly sensed your anxiety and gently reassured you there's nothing to be nervous about. You sat down and felt the crown be placed upon your head. It constricted almost instantly and it almost felt like it was scratching your brain as the process commenced.

A moment later, Professor Schwartz made the announcement, like he had with every student.

“100.” he proclaimed with a confidence in his voice that assured you he's not just messing with you. The Hall fell silent for just a moment before erupting into a sea of questions. No one knew who you were or how it was even possible for anyone to hit a score of a hundred. The headmaster himself, widely regarded as one of the world’s most powerful magicians, is only at 97. The Headmaster quickly silenced the room with his booming voice, before dismissing the others to their classes and asking you and the other professors to join him in his office.

“I expect Professor Dove explained things to you.” Headmaster Hallgrave said as he sat down at his desk. Professor Dove, who’d sat down beside you on a loveseat, one of her tantalizing thighs touching your leg, nodded.

“I explained to him that he comes from the High Four. All of them, hence his maximum score.” Professor Dove said.

“Indeed. A maximum score has only ever been achieved by Rylant Ashcroft, the founder of this Academy. And there was a theory conducted not long after that announcement that suggested that a maximum score could, in fact, be well over a 100, but the Ivory Crown is only designed to read potential up to 100.” the headmaster of Ash Forest Academy said with a small smile.

“So I might be higher than 100?” you asked in shock.

“You definitely are. I can sense that myself, but without the aid of the Ivory Crown, I cannot give you an exact number.” Professor Schwartz apologized.

“It’s uh, it’s fine.” you shook your head, blinking.

“I think it would be best for you to attend a class today, if only one. Just to give you some normalcy. Professor Dove, I believe your class is meeting now.” Headmaster Hallgrave said, and Professor Dove nodded.

“Indeed it is.” she agreed, and rose to her feet, and you rose to follow.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)