More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by A.Dent A.Dent

Uh...what?

Onward, to Exposition!

"Ahh...excuse me?" I wasn't able to get much more than that out.

"That dice. Well, die. It's not one of ours. We don't sell that particular...model. Yet it keeps showing up. Sometimes a couple days after someone finds it. Sometimes a couple years. The last time I saw it was, oh it must have been five years ago."

"What do you mean, people return it? Five years is a rather generous return policy for a single die."

"I suppose they could be bringing it back." The elderly man before me says. "Though, if they are, they're not saying anything to me. Either way, it's yours now."

"It's mine? I wasn't planning on buying it, I just ducked in here to get out of the storm. I don't even know how much it is."

The storekeeper seems to be staring off into space. "Heh," he chuckled "they're always trying to get out of a storm. But, like I said, we don't sell that die. It's yours. Now, the storm's cleared up. If you're going to be buying anything, I need you to make your selections soon, Mr. Guinness. We're trying to close up."

"Wait, how do you know my name? I'm positive I've never been in this store before. I've only been in this town for a couple weeks."

All mirth left the shopkeeper's eyes as he stared at me. "I don't know where that...thing comes from. I don't know how it keeps showing up in my store, and I don't know how, but I always seem to know about the next person who will find it. Now, if you would, I need to go take inventory. Please check out with my granddaughter at the counter." And with that, the old man hobbled off into the back room.

Completely bewildered, I looked out the window. Sure enough, the storm has completely ended. No more rain, no more hail. Hell, barely any puddles line the streets. How long have I been in this store? Moving quickly, I grabbed a DM's guide book and made my way to the front. When I saw who was working the counter I was stunned. I'd always had a bit of a thing for inked up beauties with colorful hair. How the hell did I walk by this blue haired vixen? Man, my head is in a weird place.

The girl seemed nice enough, but she definitely had the air of someone who desperately wanted to get the hell out of work. "Well that be all?" She asked as she rang up my book.

"Well, your grandpa said this was free? Or it was already mine? He wasn't clear." I placed the die on the counter.

"Fuck...the Eye of Ceridwen...it's back...Can...can I have it?"

The disinterested look had completely left the clerk's eyes, she was staring at the die like was an oasis in the desert. Figuring what the hell, I took a chance. "The eye of Karidin? What? Tell you what, I'll roll you for it. 1-10, you get the die, and I owe you dinner. 11-20, I keep it, and you tell me everything you know about it. Sound fair?"

"You're on! This is the first time I've had a chance to make it mine, so I'll gladly take even odds."

I picked up the die and offered it to the girl to blow on, but all I got in return was some epic side eye. As I rolled it around in my hand, I noticed that it seemed to be getting warm in my hand. Releasing it onto the counter, it clanged heavily across the battered wood surface, coming to a rest at a...

Who wins the toss?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)