More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by jealco jealco

What, exactly, are you doing when your curse strikes?

On a job, in a manor

The local Thieve's Guild had posted a job to acquire a particular item from a lesser noble, one who had made a deal with the Guild a while back and become lax in his part of it. You were to infiltrate his manor, seize his signet ring, and leave. While the Guild hadn't exactly forbidden taking anything else from the premises, they had somewhat discouraged it, as too many things going missing would defeat the purpose of the message you were to send. You had headed over to the manor in the wee hours of the morning, aiming to make your heist and escape just before the sun came up.

Entering the manor had been a relatively simple affair. While it was guarded, the guards weren't particularly competent. They were more for show, to keep the curious away and deal with occasional teenager or common thief who sought entry to the manor. For someone of your talents, bypassing the guards and making entry through a second-story window had been a breeze.

Once inside, you carefully moved down the hallway you found yourself in, your eyes and ears probing the dimly-lit hallway for any signs of guards or servants who might be about at this hour of night. From the complete stillness of the manor, it seemed there were no guards who roved the interior, but it wouldn't do to let your guard down.

It wasn't long before you found his room, and you quietly turned the knob, slipping into the room and closing the door with nary a sound. With cat-like grace, you slipped toward the noble's bed, ensuring he was both there and asleep. Once you had reassured yourself that he was, in fact, sound asleep, you swiftly checked the nightstand for his ring. After a brief search brought up nothing, you carefully moved across the room to his armoire, figuring it would be in his jewelry box. If it wasn't there, you'd have to check his hand.

Locating his jewelry box, you found it locked, though it posed little challenge to your talented fingers. Upon opening the box, you immediately saw the prize you sought. It was a small ring, with a small, flawless ruby in the center of an ornate symbol embossed upon it. You promptly snagged it from the box, slipping it into one of the bags of holding on your belt.

As the necklace slipped into your pouches, you felt a strange tingling sensation course through your body, followed by a brief tickle of plush carpet against your soles, and the brush of cool air against your torso and arms. You looked down in shock, barely managing to stifle your gasp of surprise at seeing your shirt, breastplate, bra, and shoes having all seemed to vanish into thin air.

Despite your confusion at the sudden loss of your gear, you maintained enough control of yourself to realize that you needed to get out of here, quickly, before anything else came up missing. With the same cat-like grace you had entered the room with, you slipped back out into the hallway, padding down the hardwood floor toward the window you had entered through.

How does your escape go?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)