More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by adam17017 adam17017

Who would you like to play as? An established character, or someone new?

Monsters....so far.

Nekkers

Nekkers rarely attack alone, they tend to be found in groups near a nest.

Drowners

Drowners inhabit both natural and artificial bodies of water, from rivers and lakes to mill ponds and city sewers. It is commonly thought that these creatures are drowned men, somehow arisen from the dead to prey on the living. This opinion is as widespread as it is false, for the beasts are in fact another post-Conjunction relic.

Sirens

The Witcher 3, Wild Hunt, Siren concept art, spliced

Sirens are sea creatures which typically take the form of a half-human (male or female) with a fish's tail, a lot like mermaids or mermen. They appear to rule the undersea world and wield mysterious power. Their language is a sing-song variant of the Elder Speech. It is possible, but not confirmed that they can summon the dreaded krakens if the need arises.

Giants

A giant, sometimes also referred to as a titan, is a large, strong creature that usually inhabits mountains, but can also be found in other areas.

Necrophages

Necrophage is a hypernym used to refer to monsters that generally haunt cemeteries and battlefields, places where dead bodies lay, eating the remains. Some, however, have decided they have no qualms about being the ones to fill the area with corpses instead of just being carrion crows.

Wraiths

Sometimes witchers must put to rest ghosts who haunt the living. Wraiths appear near cemeteries or in homes they inhabited during their lives. They usually have no memories and are guided strictly by hatred towards the living. May they rest in peace.

Higher and Lesser Vampires

Unlike most vampires, true Higher Vampires are incredibly rare and oftentimes are mistaken with lesser vampires on some occasion. True Higher Vampires can look exactly like a human being and can even evade detection from a witcher's medallion, only through the Higher Vampire themselves revealing their nature. Higher Vampires are also incredibly intelligent, and have abilities that can benefit them in multiple ways. Higher Vampires do not need to drink blood to survive, they drink it for the same reason humans drink .

Because of the rarity of Higher Vampire, classification is difficult due to the unique abilities each possess. Encountering one is an incredibly rare occurrence, however, not all higher vampires are dangerous to humans, as some live life that may help humans, or evade humans in general. Geralt of Rivia encountered several vampires who are incredibly powerful, but short of true higher vampires themselves, true higher vampires are impossible to kill through normal means.

Werewolves

Werewolves are Lycanthropes, this means that they are shape-shifters, humans which transform due to the result of a curse. These creatures generally hunt near to human settlements.

Dragons

Dragons are flying monsters, which are said to represent the forces of Chaos. Apart from cats, dragons are the only creatures known to absorb magical energy.

Many people consider them to be the single greatest enemy of the human race and many legends revolve around the beasts. However, the primary motivation for hunting dragons tends not to be the preservation of the human race, but plundering their legendary hoards of treasure. People's fear of these creatures is largely misplaced as the simpler folk cannot distinguish dragons from other flying reptiles.

Dragons are divided into different types, loosely by colour: green, red and black. Dragons are also the source of many alchemical materials, especially their tears and teeth, which are used in the manufacture of medicine and elixirs, and blood, which is used in cosmetics. The tail is considered a great delicacy in some parts.

Leshens

A leshy, also known as leshen or spriggan in The Witcher game series, is a forest monster that is described as something that "lives only to kill". When they kill something or someone, they do not leave much for any carrion eaters.

Trolls

Trolls are giant, humanoid creatures. Trolls possess a certain level of intelligence, and are able to use simple sentences to communicate with humans and amongst themselves. They usually reside in the wild, but often are found living under bridges (which they often build themselves) and demand toll from travelers. While witchers used to kill trolls in the past (as some trolls eat or ate human flesh), nowadays often people are used to having a troll around, especially that paying the toll is cheaper than maintenance of the bridge.

Bruxa

The bruxa is dangerous for three reasons: she is incredibly agile, steel-resistant, and a manipulator capable of bending any man to her will.

Fortunately for us all, bruxae are rare creatures. Most live far from population centers, for they care greatly for their own safety and make their lairs in places where they cannot be taken by surprise. Those who decide to live near men avoid crowds and emerge from their shelters only at night. When they do, one could almost mistake them for delayed travelers hurrying towards their night's lodging, yet subtle details give them away: their close ties to birds, their piercing voices and the breathtaking speed of their movements. Bruxae are far swifter and stronger than men, but their greatest asset is their ability to turn invisible.

Bruxae dart about with uncanny speed, and with their power of invisibility they can easily confuse opponents and attack unexpectedly or from behind. Thus when fighting these vampires the Moon Dust bomb is a great aid – while it cannot eliminate the vampire's invisibility altogether, it can make it easier to track its motions. A generous smearing of vampire oil is also effective.

Bruxae use their sharp claws to attack and can easily break through an opponent's guard by buffeting him with a hail of blows from all directions. They will try to bite their prey and drink its blood once it is weakened, so every witcher who expects to encounter such a monster should swallow a Black Blood potion beforehand. Bruxae are also known for their sonic attacks, which knock down and stun their prey.

Foglets

Foglers, foglings or foglets are magical beings said to have arrived during the Conjunction of the Spheres. They tend to be found mainly in swamps, forests, or in the mountains. They are able to lure their prey in traps using magic. Foglers are regarded as essentially humanoid, but with an ethereal quality. They have glowing eyes and mouths, keen ears and long pointed fingers. They feed on the bodies of their victims.

The Kayran

The creature defends itself with long, heavy tentacles - and ordinary man would die from a single blow, for these appendages weigh as much as a trebuchet arm and are covered in poisonous mucus. These tentacles should be cut off or immobilized during combat, for example using a special trap. Once the kayran is unable to shield itself, one should approach its trunk - but beware its venom! The monster spits its vile poison as skillfully as a street urchin. Its armor, tougher than that of any other creature - with the possible exception of dragons - is the final obstacle to overcome. One needs to find a way to pierce the carapace and get to the inner organs.

Water Hags

Water hags, like the drowners and swamp bints with whom they often share hunting grounds, dwell near shallow streams, rivers, and wetlands. Though bulky, they are excellent swimmers. They can even swim through thick mud with astonishing agility, surfacing beside their victims to attack them with their sickle-shaped claws.

They are also able to form this mud into balls, which they toss to temporarily blind opponents. Water hags are particularly active and dangerous during rainstorms, conditions which furthermore hinder the use of the Igni Sign, usually the most effective weapon against all moisture-loving creatures.

Chorts

Chorts are the somewhat smaller kin of fiends and bumbakvetches. Yet any witcher who thinks their diminutive stature means they present no danger commits a grave error – the kind that can end his career permanently. These denizens of dark and ancient woods are some of the most dangerous monsters known to man.

Legends often mistake chorts for sylvans, ascribing to them the ability to speak, stand on two legs, gobble up cabbage, play pranks and work mischief around the household. The arrival of a true chort in a region soon puts an end to such tales. The creatures do not speak, at best communicating with each other through grunts, snorts and moans. They get about on four legs and as for their "mischief"... they destroy farmsteads, devouring anything that can be devoured, including cabbage, if such is available, but also extending to poultry, pork, the family dog and then the family itself.

Chorts fight with little finesse, running straight towards their opponent and trying to knock him to the ground with the of their charge. After downing their foe they bite, kick and strike with their claw-tipped paws. Due to their size and four-legged posture, they are mostly unperturbed by the of the Aard Sign, and the regenerative powers of their body allow any wounds they receive to heal at a rapid pace

Fiends

Fiends are walking mountains of muscle capped with horned, tooth-filled heads. Like their rarer cousins, bumbakvetches, they live in thick forests, swamps and bogs. When possible they avoid humans, but when not possible, they kill them, and without much difficulty.

Their size alone makes fiends and bumbakvetches extremely dangerous – one blow from their powerful paws can kill a knight along with it's fully armored mount. Their enormous heft also makes them invulnerable to Aard: even witchers specializing in the power of Signs could not move one even an inch. Furthermore, any wounds they receive heal at lightning speed.

If that weren't trouble enough, fiends need not rely on their strength and stamina alone with fighting. They can also call on a more refined weapon: the third eye located in the center of their forehead, which they use to draw their prey into a state of hypnosis. During these times their victim does not see anything beyond this single burning eye – the last thing they see before their .

A fiend's only weakness is its fear of loud noises – bombs such as Samum or Devil's Puffball are thus quite effective when fighting this monster. Furthermore, a blade covered in relict oil can increase a witcher's chances of victory – or at least of walking away from the fight.

Spriggans

Spriggans are a subspecies of the monsters known as leshens. One is liable to come across them in inaccessible, unfrequented woodlands. They do not usually attack humans if unprovoked, but when irritated they can be quite fearsome, and, as they possess considerable strength, they are capable of doing great damage. Their appetite is such that they can devour more flesh than an army at a wedding.

Each spriggan has mastery over plants and is inextricably tied to them. Thus if someone destroys greenery in its domain, it immediately comes to punish the disturber.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)