More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by MissAriel MissAriel

Try out for the swim team?

It couldn't hurt.

My name is Kelsi. I’m a college freshman and I’m trying out for the swim team. Of course, when I texted my friend, Sophia, she was like, really? You’re trying out for the swim team? She didn’t believe me.

Well, to understand her reaction, you have to understand something about me. I’m really shy about my body. In high school, while the other girls would change in the locker room for gym, I would always do so privately in the bathroom stall. And I never even considered taking a shower there. I would wait until I got home no matter how sweaty or dirty I was, which Sophia would frequently point out was completely ridiculous. One time, she just stripped off her top in the middle of the locker room and said, look Kelsi, I’m topless, no one cares. But despite her attempts to help me get over my body shyness, I never did.

I’m just shy, okay? I’m not the type of girl that wears crop tops, short-shorts, or tank tops during the summer. I’d much rather wear something comfy like a t-shirt and jeans or a cute sundress. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Unbeknownst to Sophia, though, I faced my fears about wearing a swimsuit in public. I’ve been practicing all summer. When I got my acceptance letter to UofT and found out that they had a swim program, I made up my mind that I was going to make the team. I didn't want to be one of those girls that did nothing but study in college. I wanted memories, friends, to have the true college experience. I’m spunky, social, and outgoing, and I want to cherish the memories of my youth. I want to make lots of connections and be a part of something bigger than myself. To hear my teammates’ cries of joy as I finish my race, to hear them cheer and shout, you did it, Kelsi!

It also doesn’t hurt that anyone that makes the varsity team is pretty much guaranteed a full scholarship. That's just a minor detail, though.

Well, anyways, here I am, trying out for the swim team. I'm standing on the diving platform wearing a conservative one-piece swimsuit. I’m about to compete in my first swim trial. It’s a large, Olympic-style pool, and I can practically smell the chlorine even from up here. It’s the type of massive pool you would expect from a school that has an elite swim team with dozens of trophies and accolades. Right now, I'm acutely aware of the sound of my own heartbeat.

Go through with the swim trial?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)