More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by MissAriel MissAriel

Go through with the swim trial?

Of course.

Everyone is staring at me. They're surely checking out every curve of my body. I feel self conscious, but I try to clear my head. Focus on the task at hand, Kelsi. I hear the whistle blow and I dive. I hardly notice the cold, piercing water as I plunge head first into the pool. My heart pounding, I dolphin kick my way to the surface and reach forward with broad, powerful strokes. My fears and insecurities disappear and the only thing I can think about is executing the technique I’ve practiced so many times.

My arms and legs ache as I finish my fourth lap and touch the wall. As I climb up the ladder, my legs quiver and feel like jelly. I really gave it my all. Even if I didn’t make it, I'm proud of myself. I grab a towel and take a seat next to the other girls.

“Wow, that was a great time. Were you on the swim team in high school? My name’s Julie, by the way,” Julie says.

Julie has olive skin and wears a tighter, less conservative one-piece with a slightly lower neckline that reveals a hint of her bust.

“I’m Kelsi. And no, I wasn’t, but I’ve been practicing all summer. I really want to join the team. I’m crossing my fingers,” I say.

I like Julie. She’s really friendly and I could always use more friends.

“Girl, you’ve got nothing to worry about. I’ve known girls that have been swimming for years that aren’t as fast as you. You must be a really hard worker,” Julie says. I smile and feel optimistic.

Time flies and I hear the final whistle blow. Charlotte, the swim captain, approaches us. She’s a tall, gorgeous blonde who looks more like she belongs on the cover of Sports Illustrated than being in charge of a college swim team.

“Good job, everyone, and thanks for trying out for the U of T swim team. Your results will be posted tomorrow at noon on Oasis.” She seems nice, I think. “You can GO now, people. Trials over.” Okay, maybe not that nice.

I start to get up and leave.

“No, you three stay here. I want to talk to you.”

I wait as everyone makes their leave except me, Julie, and a girl I've never met. Soon enough, it’s just the three of us and Charlotte.

“Name?” Charlotte asks me.

“Kelsi,” I squeak.

“Kelsi, I’m impressed. You’re fast, but your form needs work. You have a lot of power, and with the right technique, you could have a real shot at making varsity in a year or two,” Charlotte says.

Wow. I'm beaming. She noticed my hard work and I'm overjoyed, but my moment in the sun lasts mere seconds. Julie announces her name next.

“Julie, I can tell you had a coach that knew what they were doing. Your technique is excellent, but you’re not reaching your full potential. I want you to really hit the gym and develop those muscles. I want to see more power out there, got it?” Charlotte says.

“Yes, ma’am,” Julie yelps.

"Isabella."

Isabella is tall and proud with a boyish figure. She’s what I imagine when I think of a girl heading to the Olympics. She’s completely ripped and she's not shy to let everyone know. I can tell because she’s the only one ballsy enough to come to the meet in a two-piece.

“Isabella, you’re the real deal. Good technique, strong conditioning. Work hard this year. You have what it takes to make the team. But check the attitude. The next time you show up to one of my swim meets in a bikini, you can swim your laps in the nude, got it? Wear a competitive suit. It’s not a suggestion,” Charlotte says.

Isabella gives a curt nod.

I’m wondering what the point of her telling us all this is. Is she letting us down easy and asking us to try again next semester? She said the results wouldn't be posted until tomorrow. The anticipation is suffocating. After a long pause, Charlotte gives us all one more good look up and down.

“Congratulations. You three made the team. I want to see you back here tonight in the locker room at 8:00pm after the pool closes for a team initiation. Don’t be late!” Charlotte doesn’t give any further explanation.

We all kind of stand there awkwardly for a few moments until Charlotte says, “What are you waiting for? Skedaddle!”

She doesn’t have to tell me twice. This is going to be an interesting year, I think. Charlotte seems tough, but fair. She seems like the kind of person that gives you a hard time, but it’s to bring out the best in you. I’m going to work hard for her.

See what this initiation is all about?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)