More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 5 by CxSeth CxSeth

Find out more:

Intro Episode: Burst Nebula

Being the best wasn’t easy, but it was who Lena was. At only 18, she knew that she was the envy of her peers, and a role model for the generation-to-come. And when she wasn’t excelling at her studies or the tennis court, she was the city’s most-beloved hero: Burst Nebula. Truly, she was an inspiration to all.

At least, that was how she saw it. If you asked her fellow students, they might say that Lena was bratty, confrontational, self-centered, and a bit of a bitch. But even her peers would have to admit, however grudgingly, that she was attractive, talented, and a quick learner. These were, perhaps, the traits that attracted the demon Uld to her. That, and her pride, of course.

Lena accepted Uld’s offer of power without question. It was her destiny, her right, and her responsibility to take up the champion’s mantle to protect her city. Lena wasn’t the first young woman to do so, but she knew that she would be the best. Sitting side-saddle on her staff, she used her powers to propel it, and therefore herself, through the sky. Lacking the power of direct flight meant she wasn’t able to get to the scene of an attack as quickly as some of the other champions, but that was because she didn’t need to show up early. As soon as she showed up, the fight was over.

Today’s foe was a slimy, hulking thing with too many mouths and eyes and not enough limbs. It didn’t really matter what a Hellbeast looked like, of course, but Lena, or rather, Burst Nebula, always felt a little more motivated to eradicate the monster when it was especially ugly. “Disgusting beast,” She called out, sliding from her staff and landing on the ground, “I’m already tired of looking at you. Now die!”

With a gesture, Burst Nebula sent her staff spinning towards the monster, cracking it across the face as it zoomed past, then smacking it again as it returned. The heroine sliced her hand through the air again, then again, guiding her weapon like a conductor might guide an orchestra. The staff whizzed through the air, assaulting the Hellbeast from all sides as it ineffectually tried to strike back. But even the hits it did land against the staff were of little use: the plastic-and-metal rod kept on attacking. If he managed to break it in two, Burst Nebula would have to divide her attention between the two halves, but that was well within her abilities. Unless the monster threatened the heroine herself, it wasn’t going to make any progress.

But this Hellbeast was as dumb as it was ugly. It was reduced to a bleeding, broken mess after only a few minutes, ready for Lena’s finishing move. Extending her hand, her staff returned to her grip. Her other hand held a small glass marble, one she had been pouring excess energy into for the duration of the battle. Releasing the small orb, she sent it floating slowly towards the bloodied monster as it inched towards her, angry and snarling. Flying the marble into one of the beast’s open mouths, Lena grinned and snapped her fingers.

She always enjoyed ending things with a bang.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)