More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 379 by Fantasy Fantasy

What's next?

Intermission - The arcade.

The game ended as expected. Maria came in first, Thomas second, Diana third and Oliver last. However, it should be noted that Oliver scored three strikes in a row in his last attempts.

“Pure luck,” Thomas told him teasingly.

“Yes, but they were in a row, which is more than what you can say,” Oliver easily deflected. It got a silent chuckle out of Diana.

“It’s still early,” Maria said, looking at her phone. “What do you all want to do now?”

“Should we get something to eat?” Thomas suggested. “I hear the restaurant on the floor below is good.”

Diana had a feeling that if they went to eat, the date would be over when they were done. Stomachs full and the high possibility of awkward silences tended to lead people to prefer going home than carrying on. And… Diana didn’t want this to be over yet, at least not until she could… do something.

“How about the arcade?” she suggested.

Oliver’s eyes shone for a split second, but then he grimaced and rubbed the back of his neck. “I don’t know. I’m up for it, but would you all enjoy it?”

“Sure, let’s go,” Maria said. “Thomas can destroy the basketball machine and get me a prize.”

“Uff, there’s suddenly a lot of pressure on my shoulders,” the big man said, laughing. “But yeah, let’s do it.”

Oliver looked at Diana with a small smile. “Are you sure?”

“...I suggested it, right?”

Emotion, dammit! Emotion! Why did she have to sound like she didn’t care? The tips of her fingers felt cold, and though her heart didn’t beat painfully fast, there was still a constant pressure in her chest. She needed to relax, she knew, but it was so damn hard…

The group of four went into the arcade area, instantly feeling the shift in atmosphere. It was loud, far louder than the bowling area. The sound effects and music of dozens of different game machines all at once on top of the noise of people playing in the basketball machines, the air hockey tables and punching bags. Blue colored lights lit the area and got mixed with red and purple in places. It almost looked more like a nightclub than it did an arcade, but Diana had only ever been to a few of either in her life, so not like she knew much.

“What, you’ve never been here before?” Thomas asked the wide-eyed Oliver.

“Ah? Oh, no, I have. Just haven’t been here in like three years. I’m glad it’s still here.”

“So? What do we play?” Maria asked.

“Is there anything four people can play at the same time?” Diana asked.

“Mmm…” Oliver looked around until his eyes fell on four cabinets resembling car seats, all next to each other. “We could play a racing game.”

Diana had never played, and she doubted Maria had, either, but Oliver went bowling when he didn’t know how. And besides, they knew how to drive. How hard could it be?

Answer: very hard.

They all bought separate cards, sat down at the cabinets and started the game as per instructions. It handled nothing like a real car, at least not when it came to physics. It was too light, too fast and too slippery.

Oliver won the race by a large margin. Thomas came in second while Maria and Diana couldn’t even finish the race before time ran out.

“Holding back is bad manners, was it?” Thomas said, sighing. “You can hold back a bit, you know? I wouldn’t mind.”

“Sorry,” Oliver said, smiling wryly. “Let’s play something else.”

Diana licked her lips, adjusted her position on her seat and readjusted her grip on the wheel. “I’d like to try again, if you don’t mind.”

Oliver smiled. “Would you like some tips?”

Diana nodded. “Yes.”

“It may not look like it, but cars in these games have more grip than they would in real life, so you can push them a little harder. Also, since it’s a race, don’t be afraid to use the whole track instead of just sticking to the proper lane.”

Oh. Yeah, she had been doing that, huh? She tried to drive like she would on the road, not in a game.

They played four more times, with Oliver giving them all tips in between races. It didn’t really change the results, but Diana did manage to finish the race instead of getting timed out in the last one.

She smiled. “That’ll do for now.”

“Yeah, that was a lot better,” Oliver said.

“I even improved my time every race,” Thomas said. “Thanks, coach.”

“I hate video games…” Maria pouted.

“You hate losing, that’s what,” Thomas told her.

Yeah, she did.

They played a few more games. Some air hockey, something where they shot zombies popping up on the screen with toy guns, and even some ticket games. Thomas really was good at the basketball game, she had to admit.

“I need to use the restroom now. You?” Maria asked Diana.

She didn’t have to, actually, but she nodded nonetheless.

“We’ll be waiting here,” Thomas said.

The two women went to the ladies restroom inside the arcade area. It was empty, thankfully. They did their business in silence, and it was as they washed their hands that Maria spoke up.

“You’re doing well.”

Diana flinched. “...Am I? It doesn’t feel like it.”

“Well, yeah, Thomas is a bit afraid of you,” she chuckled. “Works for me, though. Can’t have him falling for you.”

Diana snickered. “I suppose.”

“Oliver, however, hasn’t batted an eye at that scowl of yours. Not that you’re glaring much at him, actually. So? What do you think so far?”

“...” Diana bit her lip. “I’m… not sure. I mean, I’m starting to see what you meant by thinking we would click, and I… agree, but that only makes me more stiff.”

“Maybe it’s time for Thomas and I to bow out?” Maria suggested. “Oliver’s been more outgoing than I thought he would be. I think the ice is broken, and what you now need is alone time.”

Diana swallowed. “I don’t know…”

“Look, I’m not gonna you. This date can end whenever you want. If you really think dating is not what you need right now, that’s fine. Just make sure you don’t leave anything unfinished.”

Ugh. Like Diana could leave things unfinished. “Fine. Fine.” She sighed as a chill ran through her body. “Dammit, I feel like I’m 14 all over again. So… clumsy, nervous and awkward.”

“Yeah, I can see it. I know it’s the last thing you want to hear, but you need to relax. It’s good that he can see past your nerves and anxiety, but if you keep that up, he won’t get to know the calm Diana.”

“I know.”

“I’ll go check the prize shop and you go back to the boys. Tell Thomas I called him. Then we’ll leave and you two can do whatever you want.”

Diana nodded.

They put the little plan in action immediately, parting ways outside the restroom with casual goodbyes. Diana made her way to the spot where the boys had been and still were. However, as she approached, she overheard something that chilled her bones.

“Dude, are you sure about her? She scares the hell out of me,” Thomas said.

With her heart in her throat, Diana decided to hide behind a cabinet and listen.


Patreon.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)