More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Unquietmist Unquietmist

Well, Whose's Up For A Car Ride?

If That's Your Heart's Desire

The sun poured through the windshield as Lewis drove down Amber's Grove. The ride was mostly silent with Roland looking at the passing buildings and Luna texting while chewing gum.

Lewis looked into the rearview mirror before returning his eyes on the road. Relaxing his grip on the wheel as the traffic grew milder, "So Roland. I heard that some colleges were looking your way. I take it they finally noticed you?"

A snort came from Luna's side of the car, "More like they noticed his grandfather's bank account…" she grumbled as she continued to peck at her phone keys.

"Oh, that." Roland said as he leaned in his seat, "I've been accepted into Deckman." He smiled as a small dose of pride ran through him, "They offered me a spot after I did some literary pieces for the school."

Lewis's eyes returned to the rearview mirror, eyes widened in surprise, "Deckman? That's...great Roland. Deckman's a hard college to get into. I uh… heard they chose three hundred out of every three thousand a year."

"Exactly." Roland stated flatly as his eyes returned to the window, "After reading over a hundred literature pieces, The board decided to choose between three pieces for the last spot. "One was a sci-fi epic. Heard it was nice, if not very bloated. There was a Horror themed one. So kind of a Lovecraftian piece. They-"

"Lovecraftian piece?"

Roland turns to see Luna facing him. She stopped texting for a good minute or so, Her phone seemingly cracking in her grip. Her face gave no clues, but Roland could swear he could see the inferno in her eyes.

"Yeeeah," said Roland as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat looking back at Lewis, "That one was denied because of the content, something about it being very graphic." He shrugged as he gave a small roll of his eyes, "Though I never read it, I heard that the nightmare fuel made four of the council board members vomit. So I guess it wasn't a pleasant read."

"Must've really been something…" grumbled Luna as she returned to her phone, her fingers seemed to linger on the keys. Well, more like beat into them as she continued her online conversation.

Roland cautiously looked to Luna, "So uh, who are you texting?"

Luna returned her gaze to Roland, Irritation evident in her pale face, "What?"

"I just asked who you were texting," said Roland as he tried to give his best innocent smile, "I figured it must be someone special for you to fight back a smile-"

"None of your damn business!" She said a tad too quickly, her cheeks gaining a tad of color, "Unlike you, I actually have friends." She said as a cruel smile played with her features.

Roland's smile left him as he looked forward, "Well, I had a friend." He stated as he turned his attention back towards the road. "Someone I actually cared about."

"Oh really?" She held back a laugh as Lewis's eyes returned to the rearview mirror, "Who would be friends with a privileged shit like you?"

Roland turned and looked back at her, a bit of rage finally bubbling up as he looked up and down at the person next to him, "Doesn't matter." He said as he returned his eyes to the road, "I barely recognize her."

Silence returned as his words seemed to have left a bitter note through the rest of the drive. Even when the car stopped Roland couldn't help but wonder if his words somehow stung her. They were close. Inseparable even when they were young, but highschool and puberty has a special way of shattering relationships.

A door slam rattled Roland's thoughts as he noticed Luna walking into Grandpa's Pride and Joy: 'Hart's Endeavor.' A small bookstore yes, but not every bookstore is owned and run by a New York Times bestseller. His work on the fantasy novels "Wax and Key" was met with critical acclaim. So when he retired and moved into his hometown of Walic, Iowa. They welcomed him with open arms and the big increase in tourism that followed suit.

Roland walked over the two-week-old heap of flowers and cards as he stepped into the bookstore. Taking in the blast of cold air as he breathed in the relief.

He looked at the carved maple wood counter and numerous bookshelves that took up little space. Each of them categorized and labeled for the genre of which they held. Roland's eyes found Luna sitting in the R&R section still texting away. Her half-smile has returned, so Roland took a bit of comfort in that.

"Roland, get moving. We don't have all day." Said Lewis as he pulled the college student into the backroom. Lewis flicked on a few lights as he began to walk up a flight of stairs that led to a single door. Taking out a pair of keys he began to insert into the keyhole. He frowned and turned to look down at his Godson. "Roland, what the hell are you doing?"

"I'm waiting for you to get what you need-"

"What part of me saying, 'I need to show you something’ that you don't understand?!" Grunted Lewis as the keys in his hands flickered in the lamplights, "Now quit stalling and get up here!" He half-shouted, half-whispered, as he opened the door to Evan's Office.

Roland took a deep breath and walked upstairs. His imagination amping up his ongoing anxiety as he wondered what lies inside.

Well, Time For Some Secrets!

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)