More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by sopagettingslippyuh sopagettingslippyuh

Which title sounds the most intriguing?

How I learned about No Nut November part 1

Hi, my name is Gwen. I was sort of in between jobs back then, so I spend most of my time reading and waiting for replies to my applications. Since I just moved out of my parents' place and into a new town, I didn't know many of my neighbours yet. It was a rural area so there weren't many people to get to know, either. The house I moved into used to be my grandma's home, but she moved into a retirement home so it was mostly empty. She left some of her furniture for me, mostly just cupboards and shelves and not only that, but also her dog. Bruno. My grandparents are German and for some reason they decided that the dog was to learn German too. So now, every time I want the dog to come, I have to yell in German.
I spend most of my time playing with Bruno. It was either that or, when not having anyone but a dog around was too depressing, hanging out at a local bakery/café. There I had some peace and quiet. When I was sitting at one of the tables, drinking a cup of coffee, I used to work on my laptop or I just read a book. It is a cheesy image now that I think back. Like in a budget teenage romance, but I liked it.

As I sat there one day, grammar checking another new application, when a new waiter came up to me. The name tag on his apron said "name", so he introduced himself.
"Hey, my name is Joe. Can I get you something?", then looking at my empty cup, "Maybe another coffee?"
I looked up to him. He smiled and it looked genuine. Still, I haven't seen him here before.
"Sure", I said, "Are you new here? I haven't noticed you around before."
"No, yeah- I just started yesterday and my shift started like three minutes ago. Plain coffee?"
He picked up the cup by the saucer and paused, waiting for my answer. It took me a moment to realize.
"No, a small cappuccino, please."
As soon as he disappeared behind the counter, I buried my face in my hands. Had I really just caught myself staring at a waiter? In a café? I know from first-hand experience how annoying it can be to be ogled by customers. And now I had done it myself.
When Joe came back with my order, I was still caught up in my mind.
"Your cappuccino, lady."
"Thanks", I said as he put the new cup down. "And it's Gwen. I'm sort of a regular here."
I tried to smile casually. Then I took a look around the café. Other than mine, all tables were empty.
"Not much to do, I guess?"
He follows my gaze around the empty room.
"There is never a plate in the kitchen that doesn't need cleaning."
I can describe the face he made while saying that, by comparing it to the classic :/ text emoji.
"Well, if you ever happen to be free for a moment, you could take a seat.", I patted the empty seat next to me on the bench.
"Sounds great, theoretically at least. If my boss sees me sitting around on my second day- I don't think she'd be happy."
:/
This time it was me who made the face.
Joe made his way back into the kitchen and I finished my cappuccino. Then I packed my stuff and rang the small bell on the counter to pay.
When I left it was late morning, around 11:30 am, so with nothing better to do I made my way home.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)