More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by JackOLantern JackOLantern

Whose story is being told?

Hollow the Grave Knight, a new overlord

Imgur

At last, the moment had arrived. It was the moment Hollow the Grave Knight had been training, fighting, and adventuring for his whole life. After a swift attack from his trusty sword of darkness, Harbinger the Black Blade of Woe, his enemy staggered.

It was the overlord of Twisted Heart, Vegnus. The netherworld itself was merely a gigantic castle with vast halls and corridors on one hemisphere, and the castle’s “courtyard” on the other hemisphere, which was comprised of rolling grasslands and dense forests. Vegnus himself was a colossal dragon with scales the color of blood and reptilian eyes that glittered like gold. The halls of the castle were built so large, not only to be convenient since its ruler was so large, but also, Hollow had always thought, to house his gargantuan ego.

But now the moment was at hand, Hollow was finally about to bring an end to Vegnus with one final attack. He would then take the throne for himself and become Twisted Heart’s overlord once and for all. This was a goal he aspired to his whole life.

“You’re done for, Vegnus! Take this!” Taking advantage of his opponent’s lost balance, he channeled the magic from Harbinger the Black Blade of Woe into his free hand, the shadowy magic gathered in a small orb there, crackling with dark lightning. As the orb grew larger, the ground itself began to shake. Hollow focused the energy frontward toward Vegnus’ exposed belly. “Black Magic: RAGNAGUN!!”

As he shouted the name of his signature move, the reddish-black energy gathered at his palm burst outward in conical beam of concentrated destruction. It was a direct hit, the beam burst through the center of the draconic overlord, tearing a hole in him. In his reptilian eyes, Hollow saw surprise and despair. In the next moment, the beast’s titanic frame swiftly burst into a wispy glowing violet mist before dissipating completely.

There was a long silence. Hollow the Grave Knight stood in place, staring at the space where Vegnus had just been. It almost seemed impossible to him that his lifetime foe was finally vanquished. At last he had been rewarded for all of the strife and struggles he had endured to get here.

One by one, all of Vegnus’ former servants wandered back into the massive throne room. Prinnies, mostly, all with a deep red color, but others as well. They all took a knee and knelt down around him in supplication. He looked at all of them, turning around in place as he did, he nearly panicked.

His whole life had been spent trying to achieve this goal. He had no other hobbies, no other interests, no other ambitions or goals, and now he had realized his one true purpose.

What now?

“Uh… hi.” He said. “I’m, uh, Hollow the Grave Knight and uh…” he trailed off, “I guess I’m your new overlord?” he shrugged. He had accomplished this feat alone, he had no companions, no friends, not even acquaintances. All this time he thought of the other people he had met in two contexts: they were either his enemy, or they didn’t matter. He wouldn’t have been satisfied unless he managed to kill Vegnus on his own, he had no need for anyone else. And his strategy, whether by destiny or by luck, worked. But now he had a problem. His lone wolf status ensured that he had no social or leadership skills. He was not fit to rule a netherworld.

Hollow the Grave Knight believed that he had no weaknesses, but in truth he had a very glaring one: a lack of foresight. He had not thought far enough ahead to consider that something like this might happen. He certainly couldn’t brute- his way through leading a netherworld like he had nearly every single other challenge that came his way.

“So uh…” he trailed off again, his new subjects were staring at him expectantly. He cleared his throat. “Stand up?” He ordered, but the order came out more like a question.

They all obeyed his command, standing up.

“All hail Lord Hollow, dood!” One of the prinnies declared, nervously.

“All hail!” The others said, the prinnies in the group adding their customary “dood”.

Hollow was stunned into silence. He had no idea what to do.

What does Hollow do?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)