More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by MidbossMan MidbossMan

Whose strip-show would you like to see?

Fuku (Ni-Oh) by MidbossMan

A pair of long swords, each lit ablaze with bright orange flames, clashed against a long, serrated odachi blade, surrounded by the green aura of wind, in a secluded bamboo forest. The auras of each weapon scattered across the forest, lighting the scenery ablaze, as the weapons swung in vibrant arcs, filling the otherwise serene locale with the sounds of battle.

The clashes came harder and faster, with the ring of steel upon steel, until finally, suddenly... they stopped complete. The auras around each weapon vanished and the blades themselves were stayed. The twin swords vanished into a pair of scabbards, worn by a tall, raven-haired woman-- a master Onmyo, judging by her abilities. "Very good, Master William. You're an outstanding student of the way of the Onmyo. Your mastery of elemental talismans may already exceed my own, " she praised her opponent, ending with a formal bow to a ninety degree angle.

The man she was speaking to would look out of place anywhere in Japan. A silver-haired samurai by the name of William, his pale skin and blue eyes made it clear he hailed from across the sea. His quest to this point had been arduous, and by now, he'd become a master of many battles against not only legendary samurai, but also, demon forces, assembling at the call of some mysterious master. He'd arrived to Japan with little knowledge of Japanese swordsmanship, but in short order, he'd turned himself into the stuff of legends, known as one of few western samurai. Furthermore, his talents didn't end at swordsmanship. He was also a skilled practitioner of ninjutsu, as well as a master-level onmyo mage. He owed the latter to the teachings of the mysterious woman, who he now bowed in reverence to. "You flatter me, Miss Fuku. I'm afraid I still have more to learn."

Fuku, an onmyo mage, was thought to be born of a samurai herself, but little was known of her origins. She'd come out into the forefront of battle after hearing of imbalances in the spiritual realm, caused by the appearance of amrita, a magic stone that feeds off of human conflict. She and William had fast become allies. He admired her talent, her sense of duty, and most of all, the steeled and serene bearing with which she carried herself.

There was more to admire as well. Fuku had the looks that all the western pirates around and about Japan favored, what they called "exotic beauty." Her hair was prim and elegantly maintained, fastened by a hairpin even during battle. She was dressed appropriately for an onmyo mage, with a tall, black silk cap and black magician's robe, but several details of her wardrobe caused men's eyes to wander. It was sleeveless, albeit with detached robe sleeves running from the elbow down the forearm, and showed a generous bit of side-cleavage... and there was a lot of cleavage to see. The lower part had large cutouts at the hips... and there was ample to see there as well. Her body had a height and curvature rare among Japan's averages.

Add to all of that her mysterious smile and the distinctive beauty mark upon her left cheek, on height with her lips, and you had a woman who could be quite the "man-slayer," if she devoted herself to that cause.

William was seldom distracted by her charms, but tonight, in the light of the full-moon and drenched in the sweat of a tough battle, he found her especially appealing. He kept those thoughts to himself. There was no place for lechery in their training together.

The woman kept her hands crossed at her lap as she rose from her bow. "I would like for you to accompany me for a short time longer. There is a certain ritual that I have long meant to practice, but for lack of a suitable onmyo mage to accompany me, I've been unable. With your significant prowess, I now feel confident enough to attempt it," she informed him, offering an unknowable smile. She'd never known the man to refuse a request, especially when it involved a new way to gain strength.

"Of course. Whereabouts?"

"In this very forest," Fuku responded, gesturing around them. "Nearby the hot springs. It is a powerful summoning ritual to bring forth a Shikigami and bind him to one's service. The only legend I have to verify this is written upon a single tablet, along with the list of commands that serve as instructions. The very first step is to assemble two onmyo mages, one male and one female. Now that we've done that, we can proceed further with the instructions."

William nodded, tying up his odachi blade and securing it around his back with a cloth sling. "Very well. You propose we tame it together, then. Lead the way."

The two scaled the hillside together, moving through the unkempt bamboo, guided by moonlight. William kept his questions to himself, trusting in his ally.

Finally, the two arrived at a large hot spring-- these were areas of respite, hidden where conflict was otherwise abundant. Sometimes, small spirits known as kotodama gathered here-- minor spirits of good fortune who were welcome company for a swordsman. Bathing alongside them tended to rejuvenate the body and generate good luck. "Never would have thought to look for this so far up the mountain. Good find," he spoke with satisfaction, crossing his arms at his chest and nodding as the steam filled his nostrils.

"Do not plan on taking a dip just yet. This is the ritual site," Fuku explained, kneeling at the stones alongside the spring's water and pushing aside a small stack of rocks. She produced a long box from underneath with mysterious writing across its length. "Inside is the tablet containing the ritual's instructions. When you're prepared, I'll withdraw it and begin the incantation."

"The writing... it's in English," William noted, squinting as he approached to look over her shoulder. "That can't be. Look at the age of the box. There's no way an Englishman wrote this. Someone's played a trick, I think."

Fuku raised her eyebrows, turning her head to look at William with concern. "A trick? Why doubt their intentions?"

"It isn't just the English mixed with the ancient wood. The words... they spell 'Strip-a-thon," he spoke aloud, momentarily using his native tongue. "The first word in that mixture means 'to disrobe.'"

"Then perhaps it is fitting it should be found outside a hot-spring," Fuku responded with a light chuckle. "You're not sheepish, are you William? You use springs like these all the time when venturing out into the field, don't you? And are you, at times, not accompanied by other warriors? I hardly imagine you dip into the springs fully clothed."

"... That is usually in the company of fellow samurai. Other swarthy gentlemen such as myself," he admitted, turning his head slightly and closing his eyes in thought. "You are... quite different than them, Miss Fuku. In many ways."

"You'll make me blush, Master William," the onmyo master chuckled. "We'll remain teacher and student, I assure you. Besides, I'm certain that the process doesn't mean bathing together. Let's not be dissuaded so easily from the ritual. If there is a powerful Shikigami to be tamed, then we can't let this chance pass us by. You know well how crucial the aid of spirits is in this battle against the hostile forces seeking amrita's power."

"Too true," William agreed, rubbing his beard stubble with a frown. "Fair enough. Let's try that ritual."

The steam seemed to thicken around the two of them as they knelt in place, adopting a prayerful stance with hands pressed together beneath their chins. Although the writing may have been in English outside of the box, Fuku was capable of chanting the next part, reading straight from the tablet. The air adopted a strange chill that did not fit the heat of the baths... and they suddenly felt that they were not alone. They couldn't stop the ritual, so they continued their incantation.

"We're not alone," William informed Fuku in a low whisper as she continued. He reached one hand over his shoulder to grab the hilt of his odachi.

Fuku shook her head slowly, urging him to be patient without directly saying so, as she continued the chant in a low tone.

William knew that spirits were gathering to this place. Was it the Shikigami they were meant to defeat and bind to their cause? Or was it something else? He inspected the tablet for more information, then came to a realization: this summoning ritual was not meant for just one Shikigami, but several. Hearing the ominous caw of a raven he turned his eyes to the sky.

Another creature took an opportunity to strike, aiming not for him, but for the master onmyo doing the chanting. The Shikigami was a living bolt-- the pale ghost of a deceased woman, bound forever in a roll of cloth. She launched forward a spool of fabric, entangling Fuku from neck to toe. The mage's hat fell off as she gasped and began thrashing, struggling to break free. "I was careless! I'd assumed there would be a sign before they appeared! Perhaps this ritual is conducted in pairs, so that one may protect the other?" she offered. "Please, assist me!"

William nodded, then heaved the odachi off of his back, wielding it with both hands. With a loud grunt, he swung the blade, slashing Fuku's body free from the ghostly cloth encircling it.

While Fuku recovered her stance, William's eyes widened. The bolt had done something to her just now, some form of devilry. She wasn't dressed the same as when she'd been attacked...

What is Fuku wearing now?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)