More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by TeratonArm TeratonArm

Whose strip-show would you like to see?

Fiorayne (Monster Hunter: Rise) by TeratonArm

No one who resided in Elgado Outpost was a stranger to hard work. Even with the Kingdom’s backing, it was hard work to stake a claim on the edge of the monster-infested ruins of a fallen kingdom. From the traders and seamen hauling goods in and out of the bay, to the chefs and smiths keeping folks well fed and well equipped, to the scientists keeping close eye on the unpredictable natural phenomenon nearby. For Gog’s sake, even the royalty present in the Oupost kept herself busy, a princess toiling over mounds of paperwork to dispatch aid to where it was most needed. Just about everyone in the Outpost agreed, however, that the hardest workers were the Royal Knights, those shining heroes who would brave the wilds and the humongous beasts that dwelled within them. And bar none, the Royal Knight whom everyone said worked the hardest was Dame Fiorayne.

Evidently it wasn’t enough for the Admiral’s second in command to help drive off crazed beasts, quell an ancient plague, and slay a mountain sized demonic dragon, because the fair knight was still the first in line for priority assignments, though for the life of her she couldn’t figure out what was so urgent about this particular request. Apparently a reclusive noble from back in the Capital had become quite insistent on a survey of the ruined Citadel, assured by long lost records that somewhere below it lay a wellspring of valuable resources, possibly even enough to rebuild this once blighted land, to transform the Outpost into a town in its own right. Fiorayne wasn’t so sure his sources could be correct after so long, but if they were true…

“It would be a shame to leave this land behind,” Fiorayne said, as she and the Admiral read over the missive, “it deserves a chance to host its people once more, now that the threats that brought it to its knees have been dealt with.” Admiral Galleus remained stone-faced, though his loyal soldier noticed a slight furrowing to his brow— evidently, he didn’t completely agree.

“Building a city from an Outpost is easier said than done,” he rumbled, “and keeping a city alive in a place like this is a more difficult task still.” The Admiral pulled a sheet of parchment closer to his face, squinting at some of the small print. “That being said, whoever this noble is has already pledged to reward us with a bounty of financial and material support, whether or not this ‘Wellspring’ is really there when we look.”

Fiorayne stepped forward. “Sir. If you’re worried any of our Knights wasting their efforts, I can go myself. I know I can move quickly, and—“

“No need to volunteer,” Galleus said, handing her the paper, “you’ve already been requested by name. In his own words, he wants ‘the best we have to offer’, and is making the reward contingent upon your solo participation.” Fiorayne’s expression became a mirror of the Admiral’s as she looked over the page. Was she meant to feel flattered at her reputation reaching the Capital? Or was it setting a bad precedent for a Royal Knight to acquiesce to a high enough number of gold pieces? For a moment, the fire in her eyes faltered, before she took a deep breath and set her foot firmly down once more.

“I’m prepared to fulfill whatever is asked of me, if it means enriching the Outpost and the Kingdom to such a degree.” Admiral Galleus remained a statue for a moment longer, before nodding.

“Gear up and move out, then. Evidently, you’ll find a squad of specially trained Cohoots waiting for you around the objective site, each loaded up with a camera for documentation purposes.” Fiorayne snapped into a salute, before departing to gather her things.


The Royal Knight’s enthusiasm for her quest took another hit as she landed in the camp at the edge of the Citadel. Apparently “solo participation” meant truly solo, with no Palico or Palamute assistance. Still, Fiorayne rallied quickly, reasoning that a simple survey mission could be completed easily enough on her own. Hunters had gone without Palamute mounts up until very recently, after all, and Palico assistance wasn’t much of a loss when fighting wasn’t on the agenda. With that in mind, Fiorayne began her hike across a short patch of grassland and over the bridge into the Citadel itself. Luckily there were no large monsters in sight, and all Fiorayne had to mind were a few Gowngoats that shuffled lazily out of the way as she approached. Wiping her brow, she wondered how the shaggy haired animals must feel under the midday sun if she herself was starting to sweat. Her short, flared brown hair was practical for a number of reasons, hard to get caught on anything, letting a cool breeze hit her neck, though today the air was dreadfully stagnant. The tight, white garments she wore already covered her from head to toe before she piled her black chest piece and gold and red armor pieces on top, and the woolen material was starting to cling tight to her toned body. Her massive sword and shield were extensions of her own body, their weight negligible after years of training, but without the rush of wind that came from riding atop her hound, she almost begrudged their presence on her back. Fiorayne shook herself out of her idle musings as she stepped into the shade offered by the ruined stone parapets around her.

Such small discomforts shouldn’t distract a Royal Knight from her purpose! she thought, though she was still relieved to quickly come upon the promised meeting place, highlighted as it was by about a dozen owls sitting atop the rubble. Each sported a camera around its neck, though Fiorayne wasn’t sure how much use they’d be once she spotted the entrance she was expected to use. At the base of one of the old stone forts was a hole worn into the wall, no more than a couple of feet high, which Fiorayne resigned herself to crawling into on her hands and knees, for the good of the Kingdom, of course. She was about halfway through when she heard a snap behind her, and froze. It was difficult to peek over her shoulder in such a tight space, but the only movement she could see behind her came from on of the Cohoots. It was possible, she mused, that the snap could have been from it’s camera, but what good would come from researching a picture of her bent over and jutting her lower half out of a hole in the wall?

…Fiorayne dismissed the line of thought from her mind, continuing on into the dark tunnel. Had she pursued the notion a little further, she might have backed out and avoided the ordeal to come. Instead, she quite literally fell victim to the first of many perils, as the ground beneath her groaned and gave way, sending her plunging into darkness. With a thud, she landed, and before she could let her eyes adjust to her surroundings, sconces along stone walls around her flared to life, revealing she had lost a good bit more than just an idea of where she was…

What outfit has replaced Fiorayne's armor?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)