More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2

What's next?

Find out more about the world while Bartholomew waits for his guest

Let me introduce you to the characters of this story. It’s set in 12th Century Medieval Europe. It’s fantasy so no need to get bogged down in historical facts.

Gerard family.

Bartholomew Gerard. Is an elderly Baron who rules large swathes of land that contain several large towns and numerous villages. He is marshal to King Albert's forces and a trusted advisor. He grew up with the King and became his closest companion, felt surprised (slightly betrayed) when the king overlooked him for the crown, instead offering it to his son, Godfrey. But he swallowed his pride and accepted the situation. Strong and powerful with a well-fed belly. Still formidable despite his age. Grey hair and beard. Chivalrous, dutiful, noble and gallant. Loves his wife Matilda dearly.

Matilda Gerard. Bartholomew's sickly wife. A famed beauty in her youth she has been bed-bound for over a year. No surgeons or medicine men can help and only make her worse. Some say once she heard the news of Godfrey's Matilda lost hope. Dark hair, pretty face but very frail. Before Godrey 's , her mind was bright and she managed her husband's estate with a firm but fair hand. Well respected and loved by all.

Godfrey Gerard: Eldest son. Chivalrous and noble, modelled himself on his father. Favourite of King Albert, so much so, was promised the crown. However, while on campaign with Bartholomew, Albert and Henry, Godfrey got into an unsightly fight with Henry. The fight was over a young female French prisoner who Henry had sexually abused. Although King Albert ruled in Godfrey's favour (Henry was dismissed in shame) Godfrey was pressured to leave for the Holy Land. While in Jerusalem he died at the Battle of Hatin.

Christine Gerard. The story’s main character, whom a lot of bad things happen too… but somehow, she soldiers on. Recently come of age. Virgin. One of the most sought-after debutants in the land. Dozens of proposals but none took seriously as she is driven by love rather than power (Although this frustrates Bartholomew, he respects her wishes). Long dark hair. Healthy ripe chest. Petite frame. Her sheltered life means she is childlike in nature and appearance but has the natural intelligence and the strength of character to grow up fast. Protective of Erik.

Erik Gerard. Youngest of the Gerad family. Still a child. Small in nature as well as character. The runt of the family, born to enjoy the riches rather than make them. But with the of his elder brother Godfrey a new focus is shone on him to succeed and strive to push the family forward.

The Royal Family

King Albert

Just and fair ruler but grew wildly unpredictable in his old age. Since the of the queen a few months earlier his health has left him. With no legitimate children he has created a succession crisis, having promised the crown Godfrey but having also seemingly promised his illegitimate children, namely Henry the so-called Black Prince. War stalks the land.

Henry The Black Prince

Fathered by King Albert on one of his queen's ladies-in-waiting, Henry's position with the court was at best tenuous. He grew up in exile in France with his mother, but when it became clear that his father was unlikely to have any legitimate male heirs, was invited back into the fold to learn the art of warfare and leadership under the guidance of Baron Bartholomew. He proved himself in the field but also showed his dark side. He was cruel and bitter towards most outside his inner circle, in particular he disrespects women and sees them nothing but fuck meat. Tall and powerful. Got into a fight with Godfrey who left him with a scar across his left cheek.

~

Background: Baron Bartholomew

Thirty years of campaigning throughout the kingdom, the continent and the Holy Land had taken their toll.

Being King Albert's trusted field marshal brought great fortune but came at a price to one's body and family. Bartholomew often spent the entire fighting season on campaign meaning his wife, Matilda was often left worried at the family estate, managing the household staff... The chamberlain was not to be trusted to manage alone.

But the biggest heartache for Bartholomew was the loss of his eldest son Godfrey, who had died in the Holy travesty that was the Battle of Hattin.

Bartholomew was, of course, heartbroken, Godfrey was the heir to his wealth and his favourite son. But at least it brought some comfort to Bartholomew that having made the ultimate sacrifice for the cross, Godfrey will now surely be at God's side.

Like Bartholomew, Godfrey had also been a favourite of King Albert, he was indeed often treated as a warrior prince. The king had liked his fighting prowess and enjoyed his tales of cutting down Saracens, protecting pilgrims and rescuing fair maidens. He thought Godfrey, brave, fair and just. Ripe for Kingship.

Although never written on parchment bearing the royal seal, Godfrey had been promised by King Albert during several drunken feasts that he could succeed him on the throne, should he not produce a true heir himself.

Bartholomew had been taken aback by the King's offer to Godfrey. Immensely proud of Godfrey, yes. But surely Bartholomew being Godfrey's father should take the crown before his son. That's how it's always worked.

Bartholomew remembered the moment King Albert tried to justify himself.

Albert's voice croaked as he reasoned with Bartholomew, "Godfrey is the perfect blend of youth and experience. Not two old buggers like you and I, Bart. We're older than the hills. The world is ever-changing, the realm needs the vigour of youth at the helm. He will rule wise with you at his side."

Bartholomew said nothing. Albert was right in one thing; Bartholomew had a lot of influence over Godfrey. He would be ruling in all but name. But it was still an unusual decision.

However, with news of Godfrey's in the Holy Land went Bartholomew's hope of becoming the strongest and wealthiest of the barons.

Background. Christine

Just thinking of the missed opportunity made Bartholomew curse aloud as he stepped onto the battlements. In frustration, he slammed the iron-studded oak door behind him. He rested his arthritic hands on the cold stone of the rampart and gazed longingly at his fiefdom. His eyes weren't what they once were as he looked towards the distant stone bridge over the muddy stream. His heart was beating like a war drum as he anticipated the arrival of the guest. The king was right, he was too old for this. Oh, how he wished Godfrey he beloved son was still alive. But fate meant he would now never be king.

Despite great sadness, not all was lost.

Bartholomew's two other children had come much later in life. Erik, the youngest, was still a boy, and not a very brave one. Nor sadly was Erik particularly strong. He was slight in build and weak in mind. His mother says he's creative… whatever that means. He still had time to develop of course. But he was more likely for the church rather than the king's court or the battlefield.

No. Bartholomew's ambition would live on through his daughter.

Christine was Bartholomew's only daughter and his greatest hope. His wife Matilda was once a famed beauty, and young Christine was almost her mother's youthful reflection. Christine was a natural beauty with lithe limbs, porcelain skin and the curves that signaled strong vitality and the promise of healthy children. Her dark brown hair flowed in loose locks past her shoulders down to her prime rump. Also, like her mother, her intellect is second to none.

Bartholomew knew Christine was the brightest of his children which he had always known she will be from an early age - so he had her schooled at the monastery. She had just come of age, and it had been arranged for her to marry Sir William, a wealthy landowner's son and a brave knight of the realm.

But being strong-willed Christine said no. She said William was ill-tempered and about as chivalrous as moat rat. Handsome he might have been, but he had the mind of a spoiled child.

Bartholomew had fumed against Christina. Kicked a few of his favourite dogs. But he had enjoyed a love marriage himself to Matilda. Benefitted hugely from it. So, he wouldn't deny his beloved Christina having the same.

The search was to go on.

Bartholomew cracked a smile for the first time that morning. Thoughts of Christine always brought happiness to his heavy heart.

Background: Succession Crisis and The Black Prince.

There were two major problems for Bartholomew needed to resolve before his time on God's earth was over. First was wedding his daughter. The second was the King. The realm was in a state of flux after a succession crisis caused by a senile and sickly king. The realm faced internal strife. His queen had recently passed childless. Her sudden had caused King Albert's health spiral into a rapid decline. Within a month he had gone from a wise old man into little more than a corpse.

It was known the younger king had once had several mistresses who bore children. It was expected several claimants for the throne we're to make themselves known.

And indeed, they did.

Henry, the so-called Black Prince was the king's illegitimate son. Henry had gotten his name through his debauched ways and his cruel pastimes. He was a drunkard and uncultured. His childhood was spent on the continent, and he fought in France at Bartholomew's side. The young Henry showed a lot of promise in his early years but fell into the ways of the devil.

Now, all young men like to play with whores. However, during a campaign outside the city of Rennes, Bartholomew had no option but to admonish Henry in front of his men. This was after Bartholomew was to save a young French prisoner from a grisly end at Henry's hands. Apparently, she had refused to be sodomised in front of her dying husband, and Henry decided to take his on her in a most brutal way. She was left a mess, but her life was saved. However, the woman's plight (some say Godfrey had loved the girl) led to an incensed Godfrey getting into a fight and ultimately leaving a large scar on Henry's left cheek.

1) Henry's French prisoner..

2) Continue story.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)