More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Jinraider Jinraider

What's next?

Final Boss: The Dark Lord

“This is your end, Dark Lord!”

Farkus roared as he raced towards his enemy, his battlecry echoing throughout the opulent throne room that had been deemed their final dueling ground.

My end? Such conceit! I’d like to see you try!”

The Dark Lord stood, in his hand wielding a Zweihänder as normal men would wield a short sword. With terrifying speed, he rushed forward to meet Farkus’ charge.

Farkus had no time to dodge. With no other choices, he raised the shining sword, gift of the goddess, to face the Dark Lord head on. Both men swung, and their swords met.

CLANG!!! The sound of their swords reverberated through the room. Their impact sent out a shockwave that kicked up dust and debris. Farkus held on with all his might, but even then he knew he could not match the pure might of his foe. The Dark Lord, clad in black armor from head to toe, towered over him like a grown tree does a sapling.

Instead, Farkus pivoted his body away, swinging his sword around hoping to strike his opponent’s ribs whist the momentum carried him forward. And yet, as he moved his sword away, the Dark Lord simply thrust his sword’s hilt in the direction of Farkus’ spin. Stars burst across Farkus’ eyes as the hilt collided into him. His feet left the floor as he was blown back by the sheer of the strike, breath out of his body as he slammed in a nearby pillar. Winded and injured, Farkus could just barely make out the form of the Dark Lord, his approaching form radiating murderous intent.

He only stopped at the sound of an arrow plinking uselessly off his armor.

“Farkus!”

Accel!

The Dark Lord, intent on not letting his chance pass, swung his blade positioned to slice Farkus’ head, but he was already too late. With the ‘Accel’ spell boosting his agility, Farkus rolled underneath the swing and sprung back to where his companions were, his whole movement taking less time than it took for them to take two steps.

“Farkus, you OK?” Layna, the party’s mage, called as she ran to him.

“Been better. Damn, he’s tough!” Farkus grunted in response to her.

“That’s what you get for rushing ahead without the rest of us,” Commented Cath, the party’s rogue, whilst spinning an arrow between her fingers. “You’d be paint on the wall if it weren’t for me.”

“You’re still wounded. Let me help,” Freya, the cleric, fretted. She whispered a quick incantation, then placed her hands softly against Farkus’ ribcage. “Heal!

Farkus smiled in appreciation, but the sound of the Dark Lord’s clinking armor immediately set them all back on guard.

“More insects? No matter. A single boot is capable of squishing several at once.” his voice boomed.

“So as long as I draw breath, you won’t harm a hair on their heads.” Farkus growled in response. As focused as he was, he didn’t notice his words caused his three companions to blush.

“What’s our plan?” Layna asked.

Farkus took a second to think before responding. “Remember why we came here. The Dark Lord has to have the princess locked up somewhere, probably behind that area he’s standing in. Cath, I’ll try to make an opening so you can slip through, but I’m counting on you to find her.”

“Better start counting then,” Cath replied confidently, taking a leaping stance. “Never found a lock I couldn’t pick.”

Farkus nodded in confirmation. “Layna, Freya, you’re with me. Buff me with what you’ve got. Whilst I engage him, take up spots on the opposite ends of the room. Freya, I’ll jump to you when I need to heal. When I do, hit him with whatever spells you have, Layna.”

“Got it.” Layna adjusted the brim of her hat.

“Yes.” Freya stood straight and clutched her staff protectively.

Farkus opened his mouth to give the command, but gave himself the luxury to pause and look back at his companions one last time. In that moment, each of them stood ready to act on their own orders, their eyes shining with determination to end this saga once and for all. After everything they’ve been through, the laughs, the crying, the arguments…it all came down to a single word.

This is what you meant, isn’t it, oh goddess? This is what...I love in this world.

Sucking air in through his lips, Farkus gripped his sword tighter, and stared down the Dark Lord. There was only one thing left to do.

“LET’S GO!”

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)