More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Nemo of Utopia Nemo of Utopia

What tools present themselves?

FAITH Alone Will Be Enough

I don't even have time to look at my gear before the toad-beasts are upon me but by nigh-instinctive reflex I clutch a pendant which hangs about my neck and shout five words that make no sense yet I am certain will help: "MYTHRAS, I NEED THY AID!"

Suddenly a brilliant light flashes from the pendant and a trio of lioness with pelts of spun gold and ears 'pierced' by points of light stand between me and the toad beasts. The battle is joined moments later and is entirely one sided, though the toads are vicious in their attack the lioness outmatch them in both size and ferocity and none of the three are felled ere the last two surviving toads turn to run. Only one of them makes good it's escape, that only because the Lionesses chose to run down the other and they broke in opposite directions.

The Lioness, maws soaked with blood, fall to gorging themselves on the bodies of the dead monsters while I turn my attention to the woman on the pillar.

"Hello Mademoiselle! Seems the rescue was easier than I expected, do you need help down?" I ask in what I hope is a tone of voice that will mitigate the woman's terror at seeing the five beasts that were threatening her driven off by a trio of metallic golden furred lioness with ear piercings made of sunlight.

At the same time I check over my other gear and find that I am well equipped as a warrior: I Carry a short sword in the style of a roman Gladius, a half dozen iron javelins, a backpack full of equipment, and am clad in a bronze breastplate plus leg and arm protection, with a shield of cured bull-hide and wicker strapped over my back. In my backpack is quite a bit of gear, including 100' of stout hemp rope, a copper frying pan, packages of grain, salt beef, dried carrot, and raisins, a whet-stone, winter clothes as well as what I recognize as priestly vestments, a spoon, bowl, and eating knife, a set of tent stakes, and a pouch containing 20 Gil in assorted coinage, mostly silver.

The woman looks panicky only for a moment longer before she climbs off the pillar, gripping with her hands on the top and then gracefully dropping the four feet down to the ground, landing in a practiced crouch from which she stands to walk up to me.

"Thank you most kindly Father but I am alright, your timely intervention has assuredly saved my life," she says looking at me with immense gratitude.

"'Father'," I query in shock, "you know who I am and you are my daughter?"

"No, you are a priest of Sol Invictus, the sun god Mythras, but I am;" and then realization hits, "you have amnesia too, don't you?" She asks sadly.

Unashamed I answer honestly. "Yes, I don't even remember who Mythras is, but thank his heavenly majesty he seems to remember me."

She looks bashful for a second then seems to come to a decision. "What is your name Father? If you are like me you don't remember what it was but you have chosen a new one for yourself." I hesitate and she takes the initiative. "I am called Jane Doe..." She says, basically forcing me to give my own name.

"Nemo of Utopia." I declare, extending a hand.

She takes it and kisses the palm, sending a bolt of electric fire racing down my nerves, then looks abashed. "I apologize Father, do you remember if you took the Vow of Chastity as your surrender to the divine?" Jane asks and looks at me; hopefully?

I scan my memories and still draw a blank but a sudden burst of feeling in the depths of my soul seems to say without words that no, that was not the sacrifice of liberty that I made when I was invested with power by the avatar of Mythras to serve his cause. I did give up something for my vow but it was another part of my life as ongoing proof of my devotion, and should I threaten to trespass on that vow I will be warned in this same manner.

"No, I am not sworn to chastity Jane, and should I risk violating my vow Mythras will warn me; I can only break it by willful and knowing defiance," I inform her with a smile.

"Then come to my camp site, I was caught unawares by the Hema-Toads while venting my bowels and thus could not fight them off and I would fain 'reward' you for your bravery in my rescue," she offers with a sultry smile that would shame a succubus.

I am resolved to go to her camp site, this is apparetnly a dangerous place, but will I accpet her 'offer'?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)