More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Heroix Heroix

So what happens from here?

Encountering A Stray

The trek back to Daichi’s apartment was a long and lonely one. Exhaustion dogged his every step after a day that he could scarcely even begin to describe. Dark clouds covered the sky in a sinister reflection of the young man’s mind. A low rumble of far off thunder shook him from the ennui brought about by a day of incredible exhaustion and confusion.

“Damn, I don’t have an umbrella. I should hur-” The words died off before he could voice them as he remembered his current issue. He let out a deep and heavy sigh. One that seemed to originate from the tips of his aching feet, tearing out of his body all the energy left as it went. “Right. Hurrying is kinda hard when you’re totally lost.”

Daichi had woken up to a world changed. The world of New Tokyo City, both bizarre yet familiar. His home, yet through the looking glass. Not so great was the surprise then when he realized that he had not the slightest idea where his panicked wandering, and then inquisitive exploring, had led him. The streets were different, the buildings were different, the signs were different. Vague direction alone wasn’t enough to conquer the sprawling concrete jungle. The twisting maze of alleys and buildings was more than up to the challenge of confounding this already confounded young man.

He was sure he’d make it there eventually, which was why he’d cursed himself for leaving his phone but hadn’t ultimately given it much concern. Now with the rain though he began to worry. With nothing to protect him from the cold of the dark night’s rain, wandering aimlessly would only put him in danger. That said, he had little desire to wait out the rain inside some shop either.

“I guess I gotta pick up the pace.” A clear exhaustion could be felt in his tone, as well as the slump of his shoulders that didn’t change despite his words. Another rumble of thunder rolled across the city, once more rousing the young man. He took a deep breath in and clapped his hands on his cheeks. “Come on! Wake up! This kinda crap can wait until you’re in bed!” With his determination newly declared Daichi set off with a new strength to his stride.

With his step newly sprung the young man turned into an alleyway so as to reach the next street over. Were he not in such a rush he likely wouldn’t have turned into the alley. Not yet trusting the newly unfamiliar city. But he was, and so he did. The alleyway was dark and crowded with debris. Daichi was in a tired daze, as well as in a rush. Hence it came as, though it shouldn’t have, quite a surprise to him when he tripped over something laying on the ground. With a yelp that reverberated down the alleyway he sprawled across the ground. Slowly pushing himself back up with a groan he turned his head.

“What the heck?! What did I-”

CRASH!

Thunder washed over and through the alleyway as a crack of lightning flared overhead. Momentarily illuminating the body whose legs he had tripped over. The light lasted for just a mere instant. A small fraction of a second for which the alley was lit bright as Christmas. Yet in that mere moment he noticed every detail, the image seemingly scorched into his mind by the flare of the heavens.

The body was propped up against the alley wall, half covered in random detritus and trash bags. That was why he’d not noticed it from his initial angle. It was a woman, clearly young, around the same age as Daichi by his guess. A long wild mane of red hair framed her face. Not a red like Daichi's own hair, as his was a deep solid crimson. This woman’s hair was lighter, and seemed to shift in places to orange and yellow. In the flare of light her hair seemed to almost dance with shifting color, a waving flame that lit up the night. Her face was serene and beautiful, with relaxed features and closed eyes. Yet even in such a state there was a noble note that couldn’t be denied. A sharp angle to her features, a natural set of her jaw, and the shape of her eyes all contributed to a sense of strength. Daichi didn’t think such a face would look right without an appropriately fierce expression.

Her body seemed much the same in it’s general impression as her face. There was wrapping covering her breasts, visible behind the torn remnants of whatever top she’d had. What had likely been some sort of loosely fitting pants before were likewise damaged. Leaving one leg bare up to the hip and the other to the knee. Visible muscle covered her body, yet not so obtrusively that it would be noticeable were she clothed properly. What stood out the most to Daichi’s wide trembling eyes though was the damage. She had multiple of what he could only call scorch marks on her skin. Small cuts and nicks here and there. And most prominently a large mottled blue and black bruise in the center of her abs that stood out brutally even against her heavily tanned skin.

As the flash of lightning ended, light remained in the alleyway. It took a moment for Daichi to fully comprehend why. Why two glowing golden orbs of light remained in the middle of the darkness. Until he realized that those glowing orbs had vertical slit pupils. The woman’s eyes were open, and literally shining with a warm golden glow.

Daichi looked into those eyes, and was overwhelmed. The air, the buildings, his very bones seemed to be quaking before the pressure of that gaze. His skin tingled, he tasted copper on the back of his tongue, and his heart began beating wildly out of control. His body realized immediately what his brain was too slow at picking up.

Monster! This woman is a monster! I- I’m gonna die!’ He couldn’t breath, couldn’t move, couldn’t do anything but seize up in terror. ‘Is this it? Is this all I’m made of? Come on! Come on you coward! Move! Get up! Run!’ Yet as he tried to marshal what strength he had to his legs, all he could manage was to shake his knees pitifully. A low vibration started to shake in his chest, one that grew until he could hear what he felt. The woman was growling, and the sound sent a surge of pure animalistic terror flowing through the young man.

Then suddenly the pressure died out immediately, as the woman’s growl stopped with a quiet yelp. Her eyes closed, and she took several deep breaths in and out. It was during this time that Daichi finally managed to work his way to his feet. Every instinct in his body was shouting for him to run, to scream, that he would die if he stayed here.

Just… think of it like an anime. The world has anime rules now, that was the conclusion I came to right? So come on, grow a backbone and act like a protagonist. How the hell could you look some of those heroes in the eye right now?! There’s a girl. She’s injured. What you do next is obvious if this is an anime!’ Opening his mouth to speak he found his throat too dry. He gulped, took a deep breath and tried again.

“Y-...y-you’re hurt.” He hated how his voice was little more than a whisper in that moment. Yet all the same the woman clearly heard him. Her eyes opened and turned to him again, causing him to flinch back. However this time he didn’t feel the overwhelming pressure from before. She simply seemed to be observing him, a calm calculating gaze that made him feel that she was somehow learning everything about him.

“How observant of you.” Daichi’s eyes widened in surprise. Given her appearance, both in it’s fierceness and in her injuries, he hadn’t expected anything like her voice. She spoke softly, her voice was low and so velvety smooth that he felt sure she could make a living simply by reading the dictionary. The way she spoke was also surprising to him in her exactness. Enunciating every word so exactly, with such precision and surety. It gave an impression of calm confidence, of controlled strength. Daichi had no other words than that she sounded regal.

“I-I know this isn’t really what you want to hear when you’re injured, but are you okay?” He slowed down as he spoke, trying to fight the trembling in his voice. He inched forward, hands up in a show of having no weapons. Her eyes twitched, no pressure and no movement of her body, yet he still stopped. Daichi was being careful, as though approaching a wild and injured beast. The slightest sign that he was getting too close and he’d stop immediately.

“You are quite correct. I did not wish to hear that question. Ask it someplace else.” A slight clipness entered her tone then. Only noticeable given how exact her speech was before. He took a deep breath before continuing.

“You look very injured. I think you need to be taken to a hospital. Okay?” The woman’s face suddenly went harsh as her brow furrowed and she bared her teeth- no, her fangs.

“Even were your words not little more than sweet poison I would not need such assistance. Begone!” Daichi gulped again. Could he really push this point further? Should he? Did he want to? This was too much too soon, he wasn’t sure about any of the answers. Then with a fresh crack of lightning, rain began to pour from the sky. As water began to pour down on the two strangers in the alley, he noted with surprise her inaction. She squinted her eyes, blinking fiercely as the water got into them. Yet still didn’t move her body.

Does he keep trying? If so then how?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)