More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by depravedDays depravedDays

Choose your Character!

Dexter Ames - Comicnomicon

I spent the last two weeks skipping my college classes and poring over my grandfather’s diaries. They were as fascinating as they were outlandish. My grandfather, Jeremy Ames, had always been a mysterious figure. He was a highly successful writer who had accumulated millions of dollars in his lifetime. Then last year, he left everything behind and mysteriously disappeared.

At the will reading earlier this month, I discovered that grandpa had left me a box of his diaries and an ugly old black tome. To say I was disappointed that I did not receive any money, would be an understatement.

However once I started browsing his diaries, I was completely pulled in. If the old man’s writings were to be believed, he was some sort of dimensional traveler and collector of characters. Throughout his life he had been crossing over to another multiverse, called the DC, ultimately enslaving and capturing many interesting characters that he had come across as if they were Pokemon.

The black tome given to me was a grimoire called the Comicnomicon. It was what grandpa had been using to enslave and capture powerful individuals in the DC multiverse and with it, I am apparently able to capture the souls of anyone I want in my own universe and even modify them. The diaries ended with the instructions for me to offer my blood to the first page of the grimoire.

While this was bizarre enough for me to laugh it all off, something made me want to at least give it a shot. Maybe it was because I didn’t want to have wasted 2 weeks cooped in my apartment with nothing to show for. Maybe I didn’t want to believe that I was the only one in my family who had received a useless inheritance.

So I pricked my thumb with a pin and pressed a bloody fingerprint into the first page of the grimoire.

Like magic, all the strange writings, runes and symbols on the pages of the grimoire started shaking and dancing on the page.

The glowing text suddenly flew off the page and rushed towards me. The pages started flipping at a terrifying speed, spraying weird aetherial writings at me.

I blacked out for a moment. When I came to, the black grimoire had returned to normal. However, I discovered that I did not need to read the grimoire to know its contents. It was all in my head and I suddenly knew how to use the Comicnomicon, as if it were second nature.

I was pretty familiar with the notion of superheroes. They are all over the news and media. From the Avengers to the mutant X-men to the street level crimefighters like Spiderman and Daredevil. And there were the supervillains too.

The Comicnomicon however seemed to be brimming with the enslaved souls of superheroes and supervillains from a set of completely different universes. My mind reeled at the thought. I quite literally have a super-powered army at my fingertips!

I snapped my fingers and the grimoire started folding into itself and disappeared from my sight.

I snapped my fingers again and the grimoire re-appeared, hovering before me.

Not bad, I thought. I wonder who I should summon first.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)