More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by SonofOsman SonofOsman

Creation of Avatar (name, occupation, race);Army(race, faction);World of choosing

Darrius Eldin, Petty Human Ruler; Eldin Fiefdom; Randomized Fantasy World

You think deeply, the endless options arrayed before you almost too much to handle. Visions of everything you've ever seen or heard; old World War 2 flicks, a hundred video game worlds, mental pictures you built from the realms of books, and the characters from every TV show and Anime all roll through the empty landscape, tempting you to adopt them as your home for the foreseeable future. After all, there is no guarantee you won't die in them too... would you end up back here? Would there be a chance to choose again if you failed? There were too many questions, too few guidelines... and yet no matter which one you considered, you just couldn't help but feeling so... limited.

Most of these worlds, their conflicts... they either had their scope limited or would, as merely an army commander, limit you in turn. Sure, you could take control of a commando squadron during WW II... but that would put you under the orders of some higher-ranking general or authority elsewhere. And what use would they be when peace was finally reached? Would that leave you eternally as a commander without a conflict? You had to play this smart, pick something grand enough, something that had a chance of surprising and challenging you, deep and wide enough that it could truly be another life rather then just a cruel mockery of one... a world as deep as those in the grand series of fantasy novels you used to read. Then, as if by magic, the perfect idea clicks into your mind; you'll insert yourself as a minor warlord in a world dripping with magic and mystery (Thanks to liberal use of the Random command in the menus), and forge your own petty kingdom from the ground up through charm and wisdom as well as strength of arms.

You start with your Avatar, fingers moving across the strange screen and molding him like he was made of clay. With the goal of one day being a leader of men, you try to forge the figure to fit the part; early 20's (Just starting our your leadership career) around 6 ft./2 m, fairly broad shoulders and a solid build. It takes a moment to decide on a hair color (Both dark brown and blonde look surprisingly good), but you eventually settled for a happy medium of the two; adding a short beard for the sake of setting, framing a sharp and firm face. There was a certain amount of nobility to that face... and you were eager to add the fine armor to match... but when you get to the clothing selection screen anything remotely resembling a suit of armor or princely robes was far too expensive for your starting points. Eventually, you had to settle for an old chain shirt with boiled leather underneath... a bit disappointed but comforting yourself with that fact you'd one day EARN that plate armor you'd spotted.

As for traits... you decide you'll need some basic social and settlement-growing skills if your plan of truly ruling anything is to come to fruition. After a bit of searching through the menus and weighing your options, you eventually decide on Sovereign lv. 1 (Allows you to construct basic non-combat units and structures, making you a civil as well as military leader), Tactics lv.2, Charm lv. 2 (Good words go a long way... and you trust your own seduction skills) , Diplomacy lv.1, Swordplay Lv. 2, and Lore Lv.2 (So your not completely lost in this new world you're creating). Your remaining charter points are quickly diluted down into a pool strangely labeled as "Inheritance", causing you to wonder what exactly this afterlife-program had in mind, the image of the new "You" finally springing to life by raising his slightly chipped blade skyward and crying out with a voice that sounds strangely like your old one... probably for the sake of

It is then the settings for creating the world appear... well, two. There was a box on the top of the screen where you can just type in the name of an already-existing setting you want to send yourself to... but instead you click on the tab below, labeled "Advanced Settings", the great white blankness that was once the screen suddenly filled with a thousand options to fine-tune the realm to your specifications. A few of the boxes you mess with, giving some direction on how you want this fantasy world to turn out: at least the size of our own earth, early Medieval ages level of technology as the baseline, moderate amounts of magic in the world with a minority of people using it, polytheistic both in practice and principal... enough direction so the randomizer wouldn't make something insane like a stone-age wilderness under the rule of a psychopathic cockroach goddess. You also made especially sure there would be a number of other civilizations around your starting region of many different sizes different type of fantasy races, though setting the prevalence of human nations relatively low to help you stand out. Hopefully, with this many options, there'd be at least one princess in your region worth courting.

An eternity seems to pass before all this input is finally accepted... apparently even in computers aren't instantaneous, before the final acceptance warning is presented... the red-texted "Are you sure these are your choices?" leaving little room for misinterpretation. With one last push, the white screen fades to black... the image of the Avatar seeming to walk out of it and into 'you'... absorbing your spirit into it's shape. For a moment everything feels oppressively heavy: unable to open your eyelids and your whole body on the verge of collapsing, before you finally drift back into consciousness to find yourself...

What kind of region is the starter zone?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)