More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by JerkGently JerkGently

The contents, as follows:

Cuckoldery of the Old West

Bill Powell leaned upon the rough cut bar and stared out at the empty doorway. Perhaps by will alone he could almost dream up a shadow beyond its threshold. So long had he fantasised about setting this place up… building a business and home from the ground up for him and his family. After that trouble back East, it had seemed certain that this was the time. They had packed up what wealth they had and joined the trail, chasing that leading edge of civilization into the wilds.

He'd seen the map. He'd had his ear to the ground. He knew that the railroad would be heading through this valley any day now… bringing workers and trade and eventually deep-pocketed city folk wanting to see the frontier for themselves. All they'd need to do was get out ahead and set up shop and the business would come to them.

Except… that had all been six months ago now. Six months of staring at that open doorway, dreaming of a customer. Six months of Lucy and the twins diligently giving their all to make his dream a reality, only to watch the last of their savings and supplies slowly dwindle away. Now winter was closing in… and it was entirely possible that without any income they would all starve before spring. The weight of that thought poured in upon Bill, crushing his very soul.

Yet, just as despair finally threatened to take hold… The Lord seemed to listen to Mr Powell's prayers. A silhouetted figure did appear in that gap he had stared at for so long, quickly followed by two others. Bill could barely believe his eyes as three strangers sauntered in, shaking the mud from their boots. They were rough-cut men, for sure… eyeing the corners of the room suspiciously, as if as surprised to find an inn here as he was to see them. But William Powell was so delighted to see anybody, that he cared little for scarred faces and worn-through clothes. Besides, having made the long trail here himself and met several of the locals, he knew by now that a little dirt and gristle was to be more than expected.

“Welcome gentlemen!” He beamed, as magnanimously as possible. “Come in and take the weight off your feet. What can I get you?”

“Whiskey, food and women.” Grunted the oldest of the three, from under his grizzled moustache. Clearly the one in charge, he nodded for the other two to take a seat… but himself stepped forward to lean against the bar.

Bill thought a slight smirk had crept across the man’s face at the perhaps overly-eager warmth in his greeting. He eye’d for a moment the heavy iron hanging on each man’s hip. Not unusual in these parts, for sure… but always something to take note of.

“Well I can certainly help you with the first two…” He began. “But the only women around here are my-”

Right on cue, Lucy appeared in the doorway from the kitchen. “Who’re you talking to Bill? Mercy me! Customers!”

She rushed forwards to greet the men, as open-hearted and gracious a soul as the day he’d married her. William Powell knew there was no woman alive who’d do as much to realise his dreams as his good lady wife. Even travelling to this far border of civilisation with their two children in tow, putting smiles on faces wherever she went.

Speaking of the twins… Bill saw the other two strangers nudge each other and grin, pointing up to the balcony. Where Jane and Sam had also appeared, drawn by their mother’s exclamation. He wasn’t entirely comfortable with the leering way the guests were snickering at the sight of his eighteen year old daughter and her admittedly effeminate brother, but was willing to brush over a rudeness or two in the name of business. These were hard men earning a hard living, he was sure… he couldn’t really expect refined courtesy now, could he?

“First one’s on the house!” He grinned, as widely as he could, pouring three generous measures from his third-best bottle.

A few drinks on...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)