More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by TVWintergreen TVWintergreen

What's next?

Chapter Two

Ayla opened her eyes, rather, they had been open and she only just gained consciousness from what she thought would be . She canned for signs that she was in the afterlife, then realised she had no clue what she was looking for in that regard. She was bent over in a knelt position at the foot of a familiar altar in prayer. It was the Chapel in the Knight training grounds. Ayla closed her eyes once more to think.

This… Could be a memory. Something I’m experiencing before . What’s the point of that? She thought back to the moment she was living in, relating it to her final moments. She shook her head.

I wasn’t really praying. I was performing an action that I knew I was supposed to do. Spending time in prayer and mourning. Even if I had trouble feeling the same things as normal people, I still had to act at a bare minimum like I did. But.. When did I stop going through the motions like this?

Ayla stood up and assessed her surroundings, then her own body. She still had both her Aura Heart and Soma Pathways. They were viscerally intact, meaning she could not just remember them but feel them. It was at least one piece of evidence that it was real.

I recovered. She opened and closed her fist, flexing it.

No. Not recovered. I’m weaker. By how much? She tried to measure her own strength in Soma and found that she was at around the level she had reached after graduating from the Imperial Academy.

“Am I reliving this moment, or am I existing in it?” She asked herself before noting that she was speaking.

There was no one around her, just like that day. Though, if memory served her she would only have a little bit more time before Caelin showed up.

What is this? Sol? She looked up at the stained-glass window. The light was shining through in a particular way and the altar was laid out with curios. The surviving effects from her Brother and Father. A brown stuffed bear and a pendant. Ayla ignored the bear, but held the pendant flat in her hand. It was her father’s and he had never shown it to her, despite the fact that it belonged to her mother, whom she had never seen or met. To Ayla’s surprise the woman within had blonde hair and dark brown eyes. Ayla lifted a brow, squinting at the little portrait.

Doesn’t look anything like me. She put it down, feeling nothing from it. She pushed the thoughts of her family to the back of her mind. She was apparently given a second chance.

`I can’t make it up to people that are already dead, can I? I went back. The night my Brother and Father died I stayed up all night at this altar and prayed because it was simply something I should’ve been seen doing.' As soon as she thought that she felt strange and realised that she was incorrect. She could make it up to those who were already dead. Ayla knelt down and prayed properly for them both.

She tried to think of something to say. “The first time you both died I was upset because it felt like something was taken from me, and I used those feelings to fuel my actions going forward while refusing to offer you even the barest dignity that the dead deserved. If you can hear me in this life, I hope you pass on peacefully.” She breathed out, standing yet again.

“Ayla!” She turned away from the altar. It was the last voice she wanted to hear after her revival. Caelin was behind her but she did not want to turn around. Those selfish thoughts surfaced in her mind. The blood of people that were hers were fresh on his hands from the previous night; the ash may still be caked in his boots. She knew that if she turned and looked into the fake, smiling face of the man that killed her father and brother the previous night she would show a side of herself that she wanted to leave behind. She closed her eyes and steadied her breathing. It would have been comfortable to blame him for everything that happened, everything she resolved to do, but the seed was already growing in her from the start. She was already capable of doing the things she did, even without the of her Family. It was her weight to bear and she did not allow herself the comfort of blame. She felt the light on her skin, warm even when her eyes were shut to it. If it was Sol, she would do well to live up to the chance she was given. She calmed herself down and finally felt some form of restraint as he continued speaking.

“Ayla? Sorry to interrupt your mourning.” He waited for an answer that did not come. When she did not speak he went on anyway.

“I'm wondering if you meant what you said last night. About killing all of the monsters in the Empire. I think it's a great goal! I'm willing to support you as Crown Prince if you're serious. It will take a lot of work, mind you, but if it’s you and me-.”

“I wasn’t serious.” She claimed.

“What?” Caelin uttered in complete shock. He had seen her in a rage the previous night after she learned of her parents fate. After he lied and said a monster killed them..

“After today I plan to enlist as a personal Knight. I will not join the Holy-Knight’s Order.” A personal Knight was a commissioned Knight that made a vow to a Lord, or the Emperor himself. Unlike a Holy Knight, the personal Knight was only beholden to their Lord's orders. Caelin would become an Imperial Knight, a personal Knight beholden only to the Emperor, while the Holy Order was beholden to the church, and therefore beholden to the Emperor.

Caelin sounded excited. She guessed immediately that he was misunderstanding something due to past conversations. In her past life Ayla was between applying for the Holy Order and the Imperial Order. “Really! I would be honoured to recommend you for-”

“Thank you, but I will apply and be accepted on my own merits.” Ayla knew that the Prince had assumed she would apply to be a personal Knight belonging to the Emperor alongside him. If that was the case she would feasibly be assigned to guard Caelin if he so much as requested it. She did not want to outwardly refuse. Instead she spoke vaguely to allow the possibility in his mind while covering for her eventual flight from Shanaine.

“Of course. I should've known. I'll tell Father's aid to be looking for your application so that your merits can be seen sooner.”

Her eyes rolled. That’s the same as telling me you’re going to let me in regardless.

Ayla shook it off and smiled. She wanted to get out from under his influence, but if he was going to insist, she would bite. “Actually... If I were to have a referral I would likely be expedited even more, wouldn’t I?” He flashed her a smug smile.

Caelin rubbed his chin. “I'll have my servant hand you a letter to attach to your application by the end of the day. I'm glad you decided to go through proper channels, but I'm even happier that you accepted my help.” He rested a hand on her shoulder. She tried not to look off, which was a tall task for her. Luckily, Caelin always expected her to be a little off, so she was fine in the end.

'This was the point in which Caelin first tried to make a pass at me. The same thing will work a second time. Even if I use the excuse a bit more intentionally.'

“Your Highness... I’m still in mourning.” She stated before he could even speak the offer.

He lifted his hand. “My apologies, Ayla. I’ll let you be alone and get that referral to you by the end of the day.”

“Thank you, Your Highness.” She inclined her head politely.

“You can call me Caelin. We are also fellow graduated Knights. Status is something that can change.”

“I... Will consider it once my heart has healed.” He stopped, looking at her strangely as she said that.

“Hm.” Caelin finally left her with that but not before he left a trinket on the altar. Her eyes widened as she saw it. Ayla tried to control herself until he was gone. As soon as she heard the door close she took the item in her hand.

'A fire stone? Was he mocking me to my face without me realising it?' In anger she tossed the stone across the room. It burst into flames against the wall, then stared intently at the door he left through.

How many lives would I save just by killing him tonight? She blinked and shook it off.

Not good, Ayla… She gathered up the locket and the bear and almost left the Chapel but stopped at the door.

'I leave the Holy Order behind but not the Light. It wasn’t a true pledge I made, but it may as well have been. I said what I would do differently before I died. Shouldn’t this mean I have to do them?'

A month after receiving Caelin’s referral she performed what she considered to be an allowable duplicitous activity and sent it with a request for employment to Duke Castezin, of the Castezin Duchy in the North of the Empire. The Duke was the last Monster she helped Caelin topple. A Vampire and a Duke. The Castezin Duchy was also the location of the largest massacre of innocents that she had committed in her previous life. She was party to much of Caelin’s planning and although they had originally spread rumours of Castezin being a vampire under the impression that they were false, It turned out to be the case that he was. For how long they did not know. One thing was certain, after they hit the point of no return there were very few actual souls that were under his control in the Duchy and many more loyal souls than they expected who were purged as Caelin turned the Duchy upside-down for control.

Ayla was relieved to receive a response almost immediately accepting her request for a trial term as a Personal Knight. If she had lingered in unemployment she would have had to explain to Caelin why she was not accepting any offers. He was strangely silent when she left for the Duchy. He did not ask her why, or comment. He let her go without even seeing her off. Ayla found it suspicious, since the Prince would find it hard to let her go, typically. He said it in the past. She was useful to him.

It took two weeks to travel with all of her things to Castezin by horse with all her clothes and equipment. About a day after arriving at the border she heard a commotion just as night was about to fall. It was a dangerous and unpredictable time so she was already on alert.

'Should I ignore it?' It was shouting. The sounds of someone barking orders. Ayla had to go check. She would be lying if she said she did not want to check it out. She had been very bored for the past month with nothing interesting to do.

Plus, I could win points if I show myself and help out.She heard another scream that sounded panicked and dropped her things on the road by releasing them from the saddle. She needed her horse to move faster towards the sound, since it was quite a ways through the woods and the voices sounded urgent. It was only a few hundred yards through the woods when she found a small grouping of houses. She rode right through since it seemed as if everyone had locked up.

'Logging settlement?'

Castezin's primary export to the rest of the empire, just ahead of minerals, was the strong wood that grew and thrived even in the Duchy. The wood had multiple applications that made it sought after for many purposes, though she was not familiar with the specifics. Ayla found the source of the screams. A group of Knights and soldiers were keeping a pair of werewolves with black fur at bay by standing in a formation around them with spears pointing in at them. It looked like a trap had been sprung rather effectively..

'They caught them as the sun was setting! A perfect ambush.` Werewolves tended to be nocturnal. But in the same vein, anyone wounded by a werewolf would typically turn the next night. The fact that they were caught out represented not only organisational skills, but good fact-finding. She got close enough and dismounted her horse. One of the Knights, decorated as a Captain with his full suit of silver armour, turned only to shout at her.

“Get away!” She could understand their worry. Out of all the Monsters, Werewolves were the most virulent and required careful, steady procedures; such as a trap sprung at an ideal time. Any scratch or bite would have the chance of passing on Lycanthropy. An inexperienced or out of formation body in a fight against a werewolf was just another werewolf waiting to be created. Ayla was not inexperienced, however. More importantly, as prepared as they were she could tell that they were hesitating to close the noose due to some of the soldiers. The Knights were fine, but there were too few of them for the number of targets.

'The Holy Order moved through Castezin twice in my life. Lycanthropy had become a near epidemic in the territory and the start of that was… Soon. I suppose this was just the start of it. If possible I’d like to remove any reason for the Holy Knights to visit here even once.'

“I said get-!” The Knight had his warning cut short. He was to defend against a lunge from one of the Werewolves. Ayla noted that he was not in danger. She recognized the man. Frost was beginning to form within the circle, meaning she had made a mistake by trying to help and things were genuinely under control.

'Damn. If I leave it like this I’ll seem stupid. Now I have to show off.` Ayla convinced herself as she made her way into the circle of Knights. They responsively widened the formation to let her in since none of them could turn their backs without creating an opening.

“First, bind their movement!” Ayla shouted, lighting a firestone. It lit with the smallest application of Aura. The firestones were not like torches; they generated fire from stored Aura and were therefore something that the creatures instinctively withdrew from, since it would mimic an attack that could actually harm them. Werewolves were simple, but had astonishing senses when hunting, or in a fight. It could be used against them. She threw a stone to the side of one of the Werewolves, then threw more and tossed them around to confuse their senses. The space that the Wolves were standing in shrunk within the blazing stones. They had been put on the defensive.

“Move in and look for an opportunity now that they are rattled!” She shouted. The Knights and accompanying soldiers reluctantly followed her advice and closed in with spears and halberds.

'Good weapons for keeping them at bay, but someone needs to be able to confidently go in for the kill with an imbued weapon.' She had one at her side; The Knight’s Sword she was granted had some Soma material folded into it. Not enough to make it special, but enough to make it effective. Ayla inched forward methodically enough that the Knights seemed fine with letting her continue. She made eye-contact with a Knight in black and silver armour. It had various emblems and decorations over it that she did not have time to inspect. Something she naturally took in were his striking, golden eyes. She did not put those signs together in the moment; just how familiar the eyes in particular were to her. He nodded to her and inched forward as well. It showed trust, if not acknowledgement.

'He seems to understand I know what I’m doing. Alright, with one more person this should work.' She gripped her sword tightly and waited. It only took a few seconds for one of the Wolves to swipe at a Halberd as it got too close.

Now! She rushed into the opening.

The Wolf she darted to was tensed with its muscles coiled to act, but she had waited for the right moment after it had already attacked. It had expended momentum in one direction which meant that she could slip into the gap and... One slash up. With surgical precision in targeting the joint in order to not hit its strong bones, and an even application of Aura around her sword to cut the werewolf’s solid flesh, Its arm was removed cleanly. She stepped back with small, precise movements as the creature yowled in pain and swiped at her with its remaining arm. Without looking, her senses told her that the black and silver Knight had already taken the head of the other werewolf without targeting its limbs first, something she could not do. Not at this point in her life..

'He is insanely good. You typically need to wound them before you go in for the kill but he just took the head like that as if it was nothing?'

With it being two against one the Knight took away the Wolf's attention by cleverly kicking one of the stones past it’s head to simulate an incoming attack according to its senses. That opening allowed Ayla to slip into the gap she made by taking its arm to finally take the creature's head. It took a heavy swing, because their necks were the thickest parts of their body aside from their torso, but removing the head from the shoulders was also the best way to stop the monsters. She breathed heavily, adrenaline coursing through her. It was her first kill in a while and she had to focus very hard to not show excitement at how clean it was.

`These Early Werewolves are still weak. I could’ve taken them both if I needed to. Showing how I can take care of one must show my skills, at least.' She sheathed her sword and felt herself being shoved back by big, strong hands. The old Knight that shouted at her before grabbed her by her tunic. She lifted her hands, suggesting that she would not fight.

“You could have gotten some of these men killed!” He screamed in her face.

Ayla looked at him and attempted to show she was apologetic. With a form as practised as her sword forms she lowered her head humbly, frowned and said in a low, capital-tinted tone.

“I am sorry.” It sounded formal. It should have been adequate, she decided. Ayla looked up once she did not get the response she expected.

“That's all you got to say?” He began to work up a wad in his mouth in order to spit at her. Her fists clenched. Her body and mind were confused. She could take a lot, but if he spit at her it would be bad.

The other experienced Knight in both silver and black, the one with the gold eyes, removed his hood and approached. The sun had already dipped below the trees and the torches were beginning to dim and retreat into a low orange light that created eerie dancing shadows.

“Rast.” The man said sternly.

'So it was Rast.' She thought the old Knight was familiar. Rast was the head of the Duke's Knights. Castezin’s right hand. He was a difficult man to deal with in her time because he had received the gift of Duke Castezin and became a thrall, in addition to his own gifts. Rast released Ayla and stepped back reluctantly while swallowing hard.

'So this man is Rast. But then that must mean the one he’s answering to is-' She immediately recognized the things she did not consider before. She knelt down, lowering her head as well.

“Your Grace, Graduate Dame Ayla is reporting for duty to Castezin.” Ayla was no longer paying Rast any mind. She was looking up subtly to see the sparse tree-cover, and judging the distance the party of the Duke would have travelled in the sun to get to where they were standing. She thought things through.

Duke Castezin in my past life had rumours surrounding him that pegged him as a Vampire. Rumours spread by Caelin and Nealin from the start. His Grace truly was a Vampire when we showed up, I could tell. At this time it truly seemed as though he was not. For one,she judged that the Duke had been out for hours in the sunlight. Even in heavy armour it would kill a Vampire.

If this version of the Duke isn’t a vampire yet, that’s the best possible scenario. I can not only save Castezin from Caelin, I can save The Duke from his eventual fate as well. At some point down the line he turns into a monster, and I can be here to stop it. She smiled to herself.

The Duke stared down at her harshly. “Dame Ayla.”

Even though she just finished thinking all those things, Ayla, the seasoned Knight, shivered. His presence was unimaginable. In her past life she, Caelin and Nealin needed to work together to defeat him and only Caelin’s insane Shape could actually finish The Duke. The fact that she was feeling his presence so vividly meant he was likely already a skilled Knight. Probably even on the level of a Named Knight. Ayla gulped, her eyes widening.

This man was this strong a decade before we confronted him? She calmed herself.

'It’s a mistake to show that I’m wary of him. First step is done. I’ve calmed down.' She closed her eyes as a tactic to remain calm as her head remained lowered humbly.

“I see. There was someone by that name scheduled to arrive around this time. Do you understand why Rast was upset?”

She analysed his words. He’s speaking intentionally. He asked why Rhast was upset, not what I think I did wrong. He is minimising what I did to see if I go along with it, I think? She nodded.

“Yes Your Grace, I know what I did wrong.” She wanted to wait to speak until it was her turn. She did not know if he wanted to hear her explanation.

He waited, then smiled as he realised why she was not speaking. “You may explain what you know. Speak, Dame.”

“Rast was correct. An intruder into the formation could have provided an opening and led to many unnecessary casualties among the soldiers and Knights. I was wrong for breaking your formation.”

“If you know, why did you?”

“Because I also knew that I would not be a hindrance.”

The Duke let out a short hum, tapping his chin with an amused smirk crossing his lips.

“It seems to be the case. You speak and fight like you belong at the capital, Dame. You applied to Castezin...” He trailed off. A simple question that hid a unique pitfall. Why she, who had a referral from the Crown Prince and top marks at the Academy, had come to join Castezin of all places instead of any other Lord, or any of the prominent Orders. She had practised an answer, but her face was turning white from the presence he was exuding.

“I seek to join the Duchy of Castezin that has proudly guarded the Empire's frontier since its inception.”

“I see. You may lift your head.” She looked. The Duke seemed satisfied. Not just that, he was smiling. It did not feel light or happy. It was like a child's smile after being given a new toy. That look surprised her more than anything. She shuddered because it reminded her of the predatory gaze he laid upon them as they confronted him in his manor. Ayla was one who rarely felt fear, but she did at that time.

“You will be serving under Rast, Dame. He will show you where you will sleep and train. You will be given your assignments by him as soon as you are settled in. Rast…” He paused and looked over.

“When do you think Dame Ayla will be settled in?”

The old Knight crossed his arms over his silver hauberk. “Seems like a restless one so she'll probably be ready for this coming early morning patrol, right!?” He looked her over for any sign of discomfort. The Duke also turned back to her appraisingly. To his surprise Ayla seemed relieved.

'I can handle work. I can handle hazing. This is fine.' She was content. She was back in her natural environment. Ayla flourished as a Knight. She was excellent at following orders.

“Thank you for understanding. I would like to begin working under Knight-Captain Rast as soon as possible in whatever way you deem fit. I have much to learn as I am simply a graduated Knight.” She offered in what was a sickeningly proper tone to Rast, but seemed in line with how The Duke spoke.

The Duke adopted a pleased little smile as he turned. Two soldiers brought a black horse with red eyes. He mounted it and left without another word. Rast remained staring at her, dumbfounded. He glanced at her horse. It was without any luggage or supplies.

“Travelled light from the capital, Dame?”

She wondered what he was talking about, then looked over. Her shoulders slumped. “Oh... I dropped all my luggage so I could get to the fight faster.”

Rast's lip quivered. The Surrounding soldiers and Knights stared at her. Rast was the first to break the tension by laughing loudly. His expression turned quickly to show that he did not approve of her yet, even if he could share a laugh at her expense. He waved a Knight over to them.

“She dropped her luggage to get here faster! Sir Miller!” He pointed to a Knight in only a cuirass. Otherwise he wore the region’s uniform underneath. The man had a sturdy build with short, cowlicked brown hair and amber eyes. He stood a few inches over her and regarded her with a friendly smile, like a puppy waiting to smell someone’s hand.

He saluted by placing his right forearm horizontally over his stomach with his fist up, with the other flat at his side. The northern salute was different from the one she learned. Ayla made note of it. As Miller shouted out an affirmative.

“Yessir!”

“Help Knight Ayla collect her things off the road, then lead her to the Manor. This Dame has a long day ahead of her tomorrow.”

Miller held the salute and tried to hide his second-hand weariness. “Yessir!” He followed Ayla back to the road and helped her load her horse back up with her things.

“So you really applied to work here?” He asked conversationally after a long silence.

“I did.” Ayla said curtly.

“I know you said you wanna serve the house that protects the frontier... But why?”

“How about you?” Ayla said it mainly to avoid litigating the same excuses over and over again. She mounted her horse and began riding, keeping pace with Miller who was leading on his own horse. A well taken-care-of creature with a shining coat and bright black eyes.

“I was born here. Castezin Proper sits just below the Manor up on the hill. My parents and friends still live there so of course I wanna protect this place.” He remarked.

An image flashed across Ayla's mind as he invoked his family and friends in his answer. It was Miller's face amidst a pile of bodies ready to be burnt in the courtyard of the manor. Ghostly white with blank eyes and an expression that was wondering ‘why’ even in . Behind them the whole town of Castezin is glowing bright orange from the flames. Since a Vampire was a manner of Monster that could create thralls out of humans, the Holy Knights under her command would not take any chances. She felt an unusual, panicky sensation.

“I- I am sorry... I am so sorry...”

“Huh?” Miller looked at her strangely as she apologised.

“Nothing.” Ayla shook away the bad thoughts and mopped sweat. She took in a deep breath to calm herself and observed the surroundings to occupy her mind. Green leaves that would never change colour resting on thick, ancient black oak trees reaching far into the sky. The forest floor was woven with lush green undergrowth and as she let go of her thoughts the sounds of animals could be heard. It was a relaxing sound in every location because the sound of animals meant that there were likely no Monsters hunting nearby. Once she had a clear mind she began to think more, against her better judgement.

'If I can stop Castezin's Werewolf plague and prevent the Duke from being corrupted I can save this place. I can actually do this. me. All those faces from my past life can still live. At that point if Caelin and Nealin still want to frame the Duke I will make it so they have to go through me first.'

“We're here.” Miller announced. Ayla recognized the Castezin manor. It was an enormous three story structure and the grounds themselves were a walled complex complete with a huge grounds for training, stables to hold a cavalry of horses, barracks for hundreds of men, servants quarters attached to the manor and even a lonely little chapel with a tower that could be seen from where she stood at the front gate.

“Let's put our horses away and head to the Barracks.” He sounded like a zombie when he said that but looked fine otherwise. No sign of decay. Ayla chuckled and decided that he must be exhausted from his day.

“Not sure why you're laughing. You practically volunteered for the early morning patrol when you just arrived here and fought with us as the sun was going down.” Miller remarked sympathetically.

“Rast was definitely punishing you.”

Ayla smiled. As she did he showed her a face she was not very unfamiliar with. His cheeks flushed and he tilted his chin up slightly. She tried to sound sincere so that he would not think she is strange.

“Thank you, Sir Miller, but I am actually happy about being sent on patrol first thing. I would rather be busy right away than be left in limbo wondering if there is anything around here for me to do. If he really wanted to punish me, he would give me nothing to do.” She paused.

“So please don’t tell him that.” His eyes widened as her proper tone shifted with just that sentence. She noticed the slip and looked away awkwardly.

“Pfft.” Miller stifled a laugh.

”That's quite a mindset! I'm exhausted just talking to you.” He joked, holding out his hand.

“Don’t be a stranger, Dame.”

'Sir Miller is... Not a bad guy.' Ayla took his hand politely.

“You may call me casually if you like. I have no problem since we're both Knights. Though I’m not sure how often we will see each other if I am working such a shift.” She said it off-handedly, not realising what she had triggered in him.

“You say 'casual' even though you talk like a drill instructor. Though… I guess you can talk like a normal person if you want to.” He winked. Ayla covered her mouth as she let out a laugh.

He pointed it out just as I was thinking about it. With that she decided that she should ease up on the tone. In her past life she had learned to speak like a Commander. A Noble. It was just to fit in with Caelin’s crowd but she unwittingly carried it through even when there was no reason to. In Castezin she was just a graduate and a Personal Knight.

“Oh! She actually laughs!” He pointed out again gleefully.

“I'll be sleeping in tomorrow since it's my right, as any sane person will do. But... When we're both off later on tomorrow night and there's nothing to do I can show you where in town all the Knights and soldiers go to drink.” He waited for her response but added bashfully.

“Oh, uh… Most Knights just use the names when we get close so you can call me casually since you offered me the same privilege.”

“I-” She was about to say she did not drink, then she had a pleasing thought that spread an unusual warmth all through her body.

'I’m no longer a Holy Knight.' She beamed brightly at Miller, causing him to stare at her like a fool..

“I'll gladly join you. Thank you, Miller.”

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)