More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by ShyValkyre ShyValkyre

Start your journey

Carriage ride to Ryzal

Raanciel jerked awake as his body jolted forward. If it weren't for the arm thrust against his chest, he surely would have fallen off the carriage. He looked down the arm and followed it up to a roguishly handsome man. Warm ambers gleamed with mirth as the owner stared into sharp cobalt blues. Crimson red hair framed a chiseled and defined face. The man offered him a sharp-toothed grin. "Apologies, my lord," he said, dipping his head. "These Abyssflayers aren't used to this terrain." Raanciel pulled his gaze away from the man and looked at the creatures in question. They were odd-looking things -- looking to be a cross between a lion and a dragon (an enormous scaled lion body with horns sprouting from their mane on top of their head and from the sides of their mouth). They were the goto mode of transportation of Eapis. They were extremely hardy and speedy creatures but had trouble adapting to places outside of their birthplace. The current ones pulling the carriage were green so it was obvious they were more used to forests and flat land.

Raanciel turned away from the Abyssflayers and squinted sleepily at their surroundings. Dust, sand, rocks, and hills greeted his sleepy eyes. It was a far cry from the luscious expanse of grass, flowers, and trees he was used to on the island of Daegica. "It won't be long until we reach Ryzal. I must ask, what is the reason a Drake of your standing would live in such a small town? Surely you would rather Rouroux or even Soisir?”

Raanciel turned to look at his escort again and furrowed his brows. He looked away and folded his hands on his lap before answering in a quiet voice, “I want to settle down in peace.”

Raanciel’s escort grunted. “Nothing wrong with that,” he said with a small grin. “Pretty hard to find anywhere quiet and peaceful on the mainland. You’d sooner find it on Daegica or Placath. But Ryzal is one of the smaller cities. Peaceful - though many people still visit there.”

Raanciel looked up and stared at his escort curiously. “Really? I was told it was a very secluded town,” Raanciel said. “One of the reasons I’ve decided to settle there.” His escort glanced at him briefly before chuckling.

“It is, indeed, secluded. However, they travel there for weapons. One of the best smiths in all of Eapis lives there.”

“Really?” Raanciel asked. His escort gave a curt nod.

“Aye. Tindrex is his name. A High born. If you have a need for anything in the slashing or poking variety, he’s your Drake,” his escort said with a chuckle. “Or the other poking variety.” The man gave Raanciel a once over and the smaller blushed and turned away.

Clearing his throat, Raanciel gripped his hands together tightly. “I...see...”

“Pardon me, my lord, didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable,” his escort said.

“Please, call me Raanciel...” Raanciel mumbled.

“Raanciel, eh? Well then, my name’s Nyvoriet, but my friends call me Navi,” Navi said.

“Pleased to formally meet you, Navi,” Raanciel said, turning to look at his escort with a small smile. Navi grinned.

“You actually used the nickname. Of all the Royal Drakes I’ve met, you’re the only one to actually use it,” Navi said, chuckling. Raanciel’s smile dropped. He turned away with a frown. Navi furrowed his brow. “Did I say something offensive? I apologize -- I’m not really good with words....I didn’t mean to if I-”

“I’m not a Royal Drake. I’m barely High born.” Raanciel glanced up at Navi with a frown. Navi paused.

“Oh? But your-” Navi gestured to Raanciel’s brightly colored and gradient horns. “Ah...nevermind, whatever.” Navi shook his head. “Anyway, when you get to Ryzal, you should head to the Burning Lady.”

Raanciel slowly turned his head and looked at Navi with a raised eyebrow. “The what?”

“The Burning Lady is a Tavern,” Navi explained. “You’d want to get a room before it gets filled up. Laykal’Ayl is coming up soon.”

“Laykal’Ayl?” Raanciel frowned in confusion.

“Of course you don’t know what that is.” Navi shook his head. “Don’t worry about it. Just know it’s going to bring a bunch of Drakes coming through town to visit Tindrex.”

“Ah...How much is lodging?”

“Usually it's 25 Epics a night but with the upcoming event, I’m pretty sure that grumpy old bastard that owns the Tavern will up the price to 100 Epics a night. Last year it was 175 Epics a night. He made a fortune, I bet.” Navi shook his head.

Raanciel bit his lip and stared at his lap. He only had 1,000 Epics on him and this ride would cost him 500 Epics. There was no way he would be able to get a room at that price. He wrung his hands nervously. He hadn’t wanted to be greedy when he took from the treasury but now he wished he had taken a little bit more.

“Is...Is there any...uh...opportunities to make Epics there?”

“Not a lot of room for anything new opening if that’s what you’re thinking. I don’t think anyone is up to sell their business either. Unless you’re selling jewelry, I don’t think anyone will support a new business -- no offense...”

“What...about not being the owner?”

“The Tavern is always looking for drakes. Usually only employs people passing through to make quick Epics and then leave. Though with the event upcoming, there is a chance they may not be in need of help. The slots fill with locals really quickly then and don’t open until the Tavern is empty again.”

“How long is the event?”

“About a month or two.”

Raanciel went quiet. He worried his bottom lip and dung his claws into his hands -- nearly to the point of drawing blood. He jumped when Navi placed his hand over his, dwarfing it. Raanciel let the tension bleed out of his hand as Navi spoke.

“You alright there, Raanciel?” Navi asked. Raanciel looked up at him and smiled.

“I’m just a little sleepy still, is all,” Raanciel said. Navi hesitated before offering a grin.

“You can go back to sleep. We got most of the rough walking out the way already. Don’t worry, I’ll catch you if you fall,” Navi said, winking. Raanciel blushed and looked away.

“Okay.”

Fall asleep

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)