More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Zingiber Zingiber

Who do we follow on port call?

Captain's secret business

Captain Flint sat at the table in her cabin with the remains of her meal. She toyed with the end of a peppery sausage, rubbing it over her lips before she bit it off and chewed it to paste. She washed it down with a swallow of strong tea enriched with butter. The rest of the sausage soon went the way of the first bite. Last was a lemon fresh from the port this morning. She halved it with her knife, bit down and let its tartness wake her up. She chewed bites of lemon and peel to cleanse her mouth.

She pushed the dishes to one side and considered the day's business. Before dealing with any commonplace enterprises such as trading cargo or hiring crew, she had a special meeting which couldn't be delayed.

She opened her sea-chest and changed clothes, starting with an iron-silk singlet that would help turn blades, covered by a linen blouse, a long leather jerkin, and a cloak. Below she wore trousers and high boots. Knives, money, and other tools were slipped away into pockets and boots. She topped it all with a tall, wide-brimmed hat with an extravagant plume.

And in case all went well, she added a small soft leather bag with a few implements of pleasure.

The whole outfit was a little hot, but it would have to do for now.

She opened the deckside port and called "Mr. Fletcher to the captain's cabin!"

She gave the first mate the orders of the day, including watch provisions and special orders for when she was off ship.

"Aye aye, captain!" he said. His brows narrowed a bit as he considered her orders.

She asked Fletcher to send in the only sailor she trusted to be at her side in this business.

Who?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)