More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by ByThePowerOfSCIENCE ByThePowerOfSCIENCE

John got out and went to his first class of the day.

History Class [ByThePowerOfSCIENCE]

"Hello! Razorswift here! I'm happy to introduce you to another member of our ever growing cult of authors in this crazy story. I'm confident that you will like the ideas that will come in the coming chapters, and I wish you the best of reading!"

This was not how John thought how his life would be like from now on.

There was the whole fantasy about waking up with powers one day and then BAM! You are suddenly Mr. Wizard and spend your time fighting off slimes and saving pretty girls in tiny bikinis. A little far-fetched? Sure. But that was why it was a fantasy.

John realized on his way to school that this fantasy would probably not be true, but there was still the idea that he would get to school and maybe see it for more than it actually was, that he would meet fellow magic users and learn how to be a wizard or something.

Instead he was spending his time like he did every morning for the past couple of months: Sitting in Mr. Enkleman’s class bored out of his fucking mind.

Mr. Enkleman was the oldest teacher in Ashcroft Academy, with his age somewhere between 85 and 4,000 years old. There were pictures located around the academy of when it was first founded, and in those pictures a label clearly pointed out that Enkleman was indeed one of the first teachers, and he seemed to have started out his career old and boring. His teaching method, if you could call it that, was saying he would have daily homework grades and pop quizzes to ensure students paid attention but never actually taking homework grades or giving pop quizzes because that would cut into Enkleman’s after school nap time.

Thankfully, this meant that students were allowed to get away with a lot in his class. It may be a required course, but it was the easiest A in the whole school as his test had not changed at all for the past 40 years. Thus most of the students either fiddled on their phones, slept, or did literally anything else other than pay attention to the lecture.

In John’s case, this gave him the perfect time to look over his character sheet and use Observe on as many people as he could. This was honestly the first time he actually learned most of his classmates’ names, but was wishing that there would be a bit more on the perso-

Observe lvl 2, observing a target now reveals additional information

‘Well. That might be useful’ John thought to himself. He looked over to one of his cuter classmates and used Observe, wanting to know what this ‘information’ would be.

Sarah Lee
Lvl 4, Nerd
19 Years Old
Status: Bored
HP: 39/40
MP: 0/0

‘Huh. Guess that’s interesting. Would probably be more interesting if I were fighting someone but hey, gotta start small I guess.’ John thought to himself, before moving on to the rest of his class. Each one seemed to have similar stats, with the Jocks usually having more HP than those at their same level, but they also seemed to be consistently higher leveled. He also noticed that his teacher was a pretty low level, at least compared to the others with his age of 87 only giving him a level of 10. Some of the students were almost his level, and he was at least 4 time older than them.

John continued using Observe, gaining information on each student. While doing so, he started to pay less attention to the information (which was understandable. There were only so many times he could see the same bland as fuck information on his white-bread bland classmates) and started to focus more on what it felt like to use magic. Slowly he started to get a sense of tingling sensations in his brain, the pulsing of something like blood under his veins, and the relocation of that pulsating feeling into his head and eyes.

‘That must be my mana. Flowing, moving through me,’ John thought to himself. ‘Does that mean mana is a physical substance or at least controllable on a physical level? After all, if I think of using it in a tangible form and it does what I say, can I move it to do something I don't know how to do yet? Can I my mana to make a new spell?

John did think he might be stretching this a little bit, since he didn’t even know for sure if he was focusing on a feeling of using mana or just the feeling he got from using Observe. Plus, this was similar to the idea that just because he could feel his blood flowing he could his blood to move where he wanted. However, mana was magic, and magic tends to break rules just a bit. And if he WAS correct, that the feeling WAS the use of mana…

‘Alright. Let’s just assume that what I am thinking is possible, that I can mana into a new spell. What should I try to do?’ After all, he was experimenting with a magical substance he had no knowledge of. Video games and movies never really went into the physical science of mana, and even when they did they tended to George Lucas themselves to very unsatisfying results. Because of this he had no real idea what he would be playing with. Would his mana manifest into an element, like fire or earth? Would it activate a spell he had locked away in his body? Would it give him super strength or turn him invisible?

‘Okay, can it with the what-if's, John. Lets just try... forcing mana into a part of my body. Concentrating mana in one body part should do something. I think.’

John looked down at his hand. _‘Guess that’s as good a place as any’. _He stared intently at his hand, memorizing over and over the shape and uniqueness of his right appendage. He looked over it, seeing all the lines and contours in his palm and fingers, the discoloration of different parts of his skin to the small whitened skin of healed over scratches and scars.

_‘No wonder fortune tellers use palm reading. Never really noticed how much history my hand has.' _John chuckled softly to himself before taking a deep breath and closing his eyes, focusing only on his hand. 'Alright… mana…. Go.’

John focused on the area of the brain he thought mana seemed to come from, which was not an easy task. Essentially, he was trying to find a single muscle within his body and tighten just that muscle. His overuse of Observe seemed to pay off, however, with his brain seeming to find the spot in question through the power of muscle memory. He visualized the drawing of mana from this one spot in his body, willing it to move from it origin point to his right palm. Slowly he opened his eyes, focuing on his hand now slowly filling with mana.

'C'mon... C'mon... Work.... Do something...'

Whether the of sheer willpower or tapping into the science of magic itself, something did indeed begin to happen. Very slowly, and very weakly, his hand began to glow. Like slowly turning a dimmer switch, his hand glowed faintly but grew stronger and stronger with each passing second.

‘C’mon… I can do better than that. C’mon mana… Do your thing. GLOW.

He kept his focus, forcing more mana into his hand. Then, very, very slowly, his hand started to get brighter. First a glow equivalent to a dim bulb. Then like a warm candle’s light. Then like a bright flashlight, cutting through the night. John grinned, face illuminated by his hand of magical light. He had done it. He created through his mind and his perseverance a new spell. A new spell! Imagine what this meant! Sure, this was just a glowy hand, but if he could make this, what was to say what his limits were! He could barely avoid laughing to himself in joy and jubilation, and was about to leap from his seat in happiness when an old yet terrifying voice ended both his joy and his spell.

“MR. NEWMAN!”

CharacterSheet004

Shit. Busted.

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)