More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Mythen Oakhier Mythen Oakhier

"What is going on?"

Brief Explanation and Classes

“What is this place, and how were there zombies there?!” John demanded of the Barbarian. “Reasonable enough questions for such a late bloomer,” came the response from the larger man, “First what do you know about the spirit?” “What do you mean, like god or something?” “Think a little bit closer to Gaia, but yes, that is the general idea. Gaia, or god, or whatever you want to call it, grants certain people power. Although there hasn’t been a rhyme or reason why she grants some powers and not others, it is enough for you to know that you have been gifted a great ability.”

The Barbarian takes a breath and stretches. He is silent a moment more before continuing, “The world of those special people is called the Abyss, and in the Abyss if you want to fight, or train, or even build a base, you must do so in a way that doesn’t affect the rest of the world. Gaia gave us the ability to create what is called Illusion Barriers, so that people with power have a (relatively) safe space to unleash their full potential,” The Barbarian looked down at his wrist and a shocked look crossed over his face. “We will have to continue this another time,” the Barbarian stated before handing John a card, a whistle, and a dagger.

“The card has my numbers on it so that we can meet up later, the whistle can be used to summon me, or an ally if I am unavailable, inside of an Illusion Barrier like this, but please only use it as a last resort, okay? And finally the dagger, it is a minorly enchanted dagger. Small enhancement to damage and increased durability, so that you aren’t completely defenseless the next time that you run into one of these,” the Barbarian explained. “Now, to get you back to the real world.”

With that the Barbarian clapped his hand on John’s shoulder, then raised his other. Power gathered in his open hand before he crushed his hand into a fist causing the world to shatter around the two of them.

When John opened his eyes he was back at his bus stop, the bus just turning a corner into view. The Barbarian, however, was nowhere to be seen. John sighed, shook his head, and climbed on the bus when it pulled to a stop in front of him.

The bus is fully of the usual crowd, and is crowded as usual, the only seat being available was the seat immediately behind his long term nemesis, Frank, and his girlfriend, Vanessa. With no other option, John grudgingly made his way to the seat and plopped down, doing his best to ignore the ridicule and insults hurled in his direction from what was considered the prince and princess of Ashford Academy.

Just as the bus started to move, Frank slipped his foot into the aisle way, tripping John. John used the moment he came into contact with Frank to use theft on him,

<Theft successful>

the item immediately disappearing into his inventory. John struggled to his feet amidst the laughter of the bus and made his way to an empty seat.

Alone among the ridicule, John used Observe on the people of the bus until he ran out of magic. Very few of them had more than a name and a class level, like Anna, who was a lvl three indifferent student. Of course Frank and Vanessa had titles to go along with the names and classes. Frank’s title was The Bully King of Ashcroft, and Vanessa’s just happened to be The Bitch Queen. No surprise to John, about either of their titles but it did cause him to think.

‘Do those titles do anything?’ he wondered as he got of the bus. He made his way to his Literature class, pondering this thought along the way. He shakes his head to clear it so that he could focus on the class that he was having trouble with.

Ten minutes later he shakes his head, trying to keep from falling asleep. ‘Why is this class so boring?' he thought to himself. He began to look at his character sheet, hoping that would help keep him awake, and pressed on random elements to see if he could find more information about his stats and his sheet in general.

When he clicked on a supposedly blank spot, he got a pop up stating: Would you like to contact the developer: <Yes> <No>

‘Of course I am going to contact the developer,’ he thought to himself as he clicked on yes. Only to get another pop up: Unfortunately, live support is not available at this time. Please try again later. Thank you =)

“What the hell is this!?!” he shouted out loud in the middle of class, drawing the attention of everyone, including his teacher, Mrs. Flung.

“I am sorry if this doesn’t interest you Mr. Newman,” Mrs. Flung stated, the air chilling significantly around the room with the sound of her ire, “But I will ask you to refrain from out bursts like that in my class.” She cast a meaningful glare at him as the rest of the class snickered at his outburst, which in turn caused his checks to burn red with embarrassment.

“I am sorry,” he stated quietly, looking down in shame, “it won’t happen again.” Having thoroughly chastised the student, Mrs. Flung went back to the lecture as John seethed at not only been made a fool of by his teacher, but also by the message. He looked at his mana bar, and seeing that he had enough mana, he thought that he would try steal again. He looked around, trying to decide who best steal from.

Just to get for his prior humiliation, John tried to use theft on his teacher, but he got an error message saying that he was out of range. He frowned at this, then attempted to use theft on the girl that was sitting directly in front of him and got the same error message. ‘Does it only work when I am touching someone?’ he thinks to himself as he quietly reached out and touched the collar of her shirt and used the skill.

<Theft successful>

‘At least I know the range on it now,’ John thought glumly to himself, ‘I really should have payed more attention when I got the skill.’ The bell rang, signalling the end of class and the rising of his spirits as his next class was one of two that he had with his favorite teacher, a one Miss June Summers. She was one of the most beautiful teachers in school, not to mention the youngest teacher at Ashcroft Academy, as well as being among one of the top fantasies that he liked to masturbate to.

What's next for our hero?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)