More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by amon_Baal amon_Baal

Where does the General send them?

Blackford crossing

“Qiao,” the General said, “we could use your help here, and I understand that you have been in sieges before, so your knowledge would be invaluable.”

Qiao nodded and looked over her group of friends. Marlak seemed happy with the decision. Nemeia, not so much.

The next couple of days were busy with preparations. Much of the local populace were sent on their way to Luskar or South to Neverwinter. Only the essentials remained. The days were spent digging pits for traps of barricades. The nights were full of tension and enough drink to stay sane while leaving people well enough to put in the work the following day.

On the fourth day, Qiao’s curiosity over Marlak’s joyfulness got the best of her. “Why are you so happy? This will be a bloody battle, but you seem to be taking it all in stride.”

Marlak smiled, “I write ballads. What better source for inspiration than the Battle of Blackford Crossing?”

Qiao laughed, “Only you could be happy about being involved in a battle.”

On day six, the scouts returned, letting the town know that the undead horde would be here by nightfall. General Grodan ordered the last of the preparations be made, and the people were drawn back from the killing field. The scouts said there were hundreds. This would be a hard fight.

Marlak strummed on his lute as the warriors waited, trying to find the right cadence for the ballad he would soon write. “Hey, Marlak,” Qiao said suddenly, “If you insist on playing something, play something with more energy. Lift everyone’s spirits.”

Marlak beamed and started playing a bawdy tale of a maiden who used her virtue to hold a group of trolls at bay while some undescribed heroes escaped. It was a well-known tavern tale, and several men joined in at the chorus. “The maiden learnt the toll of a troll was but a bit of virtue.” The line was. Qiao shook her head. It was a rather woeful tale that ended with a verse saying that the maiden was reunited with her family but a few weeks later returned to the trolls. When, years later, the trolls were killed, they found her nursing a couple of green babes to her breasts.

An hour later, the first of the horde could be seen on the rise beyond the crossing village. Hideous masses of rotting corpses shamble their way downhill. Most were human, and almost all were humanoid orcs or goblinoids, but Himo quickly pointed out a few particular threats. “Undead Minotaur on the right flank,” she called to start. “Banshees beyond.” Then she paused, and Qiao realised there was a serious threat. “General, they have undead ogres and hill giants.”

Qiao swore their defences were designed against human-sized threats, not something as significant as a hill giant. If the hill giants didn’t smash the defences, they would at the very least simply reach over the parapets to grab people.

“Orders, General?” Qiao called out.

“Target the large creatures first. Archers at the ready.” The archers drew arrows and took aim high into the air to rain the deadly payload down on their undead foes.

If you want to support me and see me write more, please visit http://patreon.com/Dearborne_Erotic_Literature

The battle begins.

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)