More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by tantrikenetic tantrikenetic

Shall we find out who this adventurer is or discover what Katalya has done with Sofia?

Ash, the boy from the fields.

After a loud knocking, the doors to the king's chamber opened slowly and two guards in full shiny armor walked in. Between them was a young man wearing ratty clothes and covered in dirt. Long brown hair ran to his shoulders in the back and fell in front of his eyes in the front. His face was young and boyish, but his body was lean, muscled and rough; not unusual for one who would spend all his time working in the fields. An old cloth scabbard hung from his waist and a bag was slung over his shoulder.

The king rose one eyebrow at the peasant boy in front of him. Why was he brought here? Surely, this child wasn't here to answer the distress call. The two guard got to one knee, kneeling before the king. The boy followed suit, dropping the bag to the ground.

"What is the purpose of this meeting?" The king asked.

"Sire, this is the first, and so far only, person to come to the aid of your daughter." The first guard said.

"Preposterous!" The king exclaimed. "What is your name, lad?"

"Ashura, m'lord." The boy replied. The king waited for a last name, but Ash continued no furher.

"Surely you have a surname." The king said, raising an eyebrow.

"I do not, m'lord." Ash said. "I have no family of note. I am simply a servant in the House of Boggs."

"Ah, William Boggs." The king nodded. William Boggs was not a rich man, but he was well enough off to have several servants to attend to his estate. "Rise, Ashura, servant to Boggs." Obediently, Ash rose to his feet. The King looked the boy up and down. "How old are you, lad?"

"I just turned seventeen a few weeks ago, m'lord." Ash said. The king scoffed and waved his hand.

"You are still but a child then. I crave the return of my sweet Sofia more than anything else, but I cannot allow foolhardy children to jump to their deaths beacuse of it." He sighed. "Return him to his home."

The guards rose to their feet and grabbed Ash's arms, but the boy refused to move. "I mean no offense, m'lord, and you will have to forgive me for my insolence, but you are making a mistake by sending me away."

The guards froze in place. The king narrowed his eyes at Ash. "Is that so?"

"Yes, sire. As you can see, I have a blade, which I have practiced with daily for several years. I have fought off thieves and wild beasts from my master's home." He looked the king directly in the eyes. "Please do not turn me away because of my age, m'lord."

"This is not a game, young one." The king said. "Katalya is a dangerous and deadly sorceress and she will not take pity or mercy on you."

"And I will show her none in kind." Ash insisted. "Sire, I intend to go after Princess Sofia no matter what your decision may be. If you are truly worried about my safety, equipping me with your knowledge would be the better option."

The guards looked at each other nervously. The king was kind and fair, but no one talked to him so casually and rarely did anyone stand up to him like the boy was doing. The king sat back, stroking his beard. "Why are you so insistant in rescuing my daughter?"

"Princess Sofia does not deserve whatever or imprisonment is being inflicted upon her, m'lord. Injustice must be severed like the head of a venemous serpent."

"You wish for her hand in marriage, do you not?" The king asked, assuming the boy's intentions. Ash went rigid, but did not change his facial emotions.

"Your daughter is a fine and beautiful woman, sire, and would be a true blessing upon the prince who would be lucky enough to have her. However, I do not presume to ask for such a coveted prize. I know my station in life, m'lord." Ash's eyes shined with determination. "But I must do what my part for my king and country."

"Have you no other demands of a reward?" The king asked, truly mystified.

"Only that someone be sent to my master to take my place in my absense. He was kind enough to let me answer your call and give me supplies and a sword. I do not wish him to suffer on my behalf."

"I see that I misjudjed you." The king said with a knowing smile. "You are not a child. I will be in your debt if you return my daughter to me."

"I do not wish to have you indebted to me, m'lord." Ash bowed. "I only wish for Princess Sofia to be safe once more."

"Very well. My guards shall take you to the armory to have you fitted."

"M'lord, I am grateful for your hospitality, but I have no need for armor. It is far too restrictive and I cannot fight well with it. All I request, sire, is your knowledge of Katalya and where she may be."

"If you wish." The king nodded. To the guards, he said: "Take him to the barracks and fill him in. He may set out first thing in the morning."

"Yes, sire!" They saluted and led Ash out of the kings' chambers and into the royal hallway. Looking over his shoulder, Ash caught one last glance of the king wringing his hands nervously before the door closed.

"Come along." One guard urged him. "You have a courageous spirit, kid, but you will do best to stay in line with us while you're in the barracks."

Ash nodded and followed them down the ornate hallway.

Where do the guards take him?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)