More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by zaick zaick

Where does Arianna look?

Arianna looks to the shrubs beside the garden

Arianna knew she had the whole day ahead of her, so she made her way to the shrub line to see if any cocoons might be around to keep track of. With diligence and time, she thought she might see one come out, and study what they look like first hand. The forest proper was behind the shrubs, and she did not think she had to go quite that far. Closer to the trees now, despite how it was more shaded, the humidity picked up, and she fanned her dress. She began to fear that if this kept up she would need to go back for more water by noon.

Ten minutes passed, but Arianna felt no time at all. She was hunting through bushes and leaves, and found something further down the shrub line. She did not want to harm anything, but had to step into the bushes and brambles timidly. The bushes were as tall her neck. She knelt further into them, trying not to affect anything as she weaved closer.

There it was - a cocoon. To many, these all look the same, but to her trained eyes, she knew it was at least belonging to a monarch. She began to reach for her notepad, all the while moving a little closer - a bad idea. With the shifting and lack of attention, she was caught. She craned her neck to see a bush caught her sundress. She turned to try and attend to it, but then her shoulder moved into another bush, causing both the slip and the thick strap of the dress to become tangled in, pulling them slightly off her shoulder, and pinning one arm. The branches are not strong, but Arianna does not want to harm the environment she is in.

Behind her, movement begins. The cocoon itself! She panics - if this is the monarch she is looking for, she must see it - even capture it! Her hand grips the net, but the cocoon is behind her. She could turn around to catch it, but that would not only disrupt the bushes greatly, but also the shoulder straps, and possibly the side of the dress. On the other hand, she could take some time - butterflies take a minute or so to birth. It would be the safest thing.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)