More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by adam17017 adam17017

What's next?

An invitation

Geralt’s dulled emotions helped to hide his surprise of seeing the duchess right outside his doorstep. “Who would I be meeting at this time of night, your excellency?” Geralt asked.

“I have no clue. May I come in?” Anna asked pushing past him already before he could say yes.

“Why not? You’re already here.” Geralt said as he closed the door behind him.

“How kind of you.” Anna said sarcastically taking a seat at the table Geralt had where he usually ate his dinner.

“Can I get you anything? Water? Wine?” Geralt asked putting the last of his dishes away from dinner.

“Wine please.” Anna said. She watched as Geralt opened up a cask by the side of the room and fished a cup in there and brought it out full with the liquid. He wiped the sides with a towel and brought it to her at the table where he sat down himself.

“I take it that this isn’t a social visit?” Geralt asked.

“How astute of you Geralt, no it is not. I am here to thank you once again for returning Syanna alive to us safe and sound.” Anna said taking a sip of the wine. “Hmm, this is a good vintage.”

“Thanks, we are growing it out in the vineyards now that the fungus that has killed all the old plants hasn’t returned. As for Syanna, your excellency, believe me it was my pleasure.” Geralt said in his customary dry voice.

“I’m sure it was.” Anna said looking at Geralt strangely. “The other reason I’m here is to invite you to a ball taking place at the palace.”

“A ball? For what occasion?” Geralt asked. This would be the first time that he had been invited to such an event.

“For the safe return of Syanna of course!” Anna said as if it were supposed to be obvious.

“Would it change your mind if I told you that holding a ball to celebrate Syanna’s return was not a good idea?” Geralt asked totally expecting the answer.

“It would not. Syanna is my sister and she has returned, so we will celebrate.” Anna said haughtily.

“Of course. It seems you have forgotten that she had four knights murdered, but your subjects may not have.” Geralt said.

“I’d watch your tone Geralt, you’re on the edge of treason here.” She said seriously.

“Your excellency, Celebrating the return of someone responsible for the crimes she committed may not be received as well as you hope.” Geralt tried to explain.

“She is my sister; I have to believe that she can change Geralt.” Anna said. “I’ve been watching her, she has changed, she’s not as aggressive anymore, and we’re getting along again.”

“That’s great, I would just be careful around her, she has wanted to kill you in the past.” Geralt reminded her.

“You know what? I think I’ve heard about enough of this, the invitation still stands if you want to come, it will be a masquerade by the way. Oh and Geralt, you wouldn’t know where she’s sneaking off to every night would you?” Anna asked piercing into his soul with her deep grey eyes.

“Sneaking out? No clue, seems like some things don’t change, huh?” Geralt said as Anna turned away with a huff and shut the door behind her. Geralt picked up the empty mug off the table and washed it before setting it aside. An invite to a ball? That was no place for a witcher, Geralt thought as he sat back down at the table in thought. Then again, it being a masquerade may alleviate some of my anxiety about being in large crowds. What should I do?

a) Go to the ball

b) Arrive late to the ball when everything has already started

c) Don’t go the ball and find something else to do

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)