More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Nedward62 Nedward62

What did Jack find?

An Oddly Appealing Amulet

Jack wasn't sure what he wanted to buy, but he couldn't think of a single reason to actually want this necklace. The silver and ruby mushroom charm that hung at the end of a shining chain looked nice and well made. It was surprisingly in his budget by a long shot; the low price of $1 was a hard bargain to refuse. It gave him plenty of money to spend on games, but it didn't appear to give him anything in return like other items had.. For a place supposedly filled with magical oddities, the charm was rather plain in almost every way. Jack had zero interest in jewelry before walking in the store; however, he couldn't see a scenario that ended up with him not having it. He needed it. He had to have it. Next thing Jack knew he was receiving $19 dollars in change and thanking the kind clerk, Des, who was smiling through the whole exchange. 'Odd name, but a guy with the last name Lewdman can't say much' Jack thought walking out of the store and sliding on his new acquisition.

The amulet simply felt right around his neck. Jack hadn't worn a necklace before, at least not that he could remember. The odd piece of jewelry was surely attracting attention from people passing by, but Jack couldn't tell if they were good or bad. The looks in their eyes had a certain... desire to them. Jack attempted to ignore them, and set off for his house, making the decision to skip GameStoop. 'This is a strange ability for a necklace to have, but it's better than nothing' Jack thought to himself, seeing a person who almost ran into a pole because they were distracted by the amulet hanging around his neck. Jack quickly tucked the thing under his t-shirt, not wanting to cause a car accident because of his purchase. 'What the actual fuck can this thing do?'

Jack quickly arrived at home to see that his mother was unfortunately not home yet. He had hoped to get a bit of first hand experience with the effects of the charm, but it seemed that that would have to wait until dinner. "Speaking of, I think it's time for a snack" John said, speaking to no one. Today had been far from a great day for Jack, and he hadn't had much to eat. This morning he had to rush to get on the bus to attend school, which was even worse. At his school, Ashcroft Academy, a regular bully for him had taken the money he had for lunch, so he passed on that as a whole. Jack sighed, recalling the events of today and raiding the fridge for a snack. Unable to find anything appetizing in the fridge, Jack gave up and retreated to his room.

Jack looked over the charm in his hand with great curiosity. He was intrigued by its shape; it looked like a power up mushroom from a classic video game series he was partial to: Morio. It seemed to be made out of silver with rubies in the cap of the charm, but Jack heavily questioned their legitimacy. 'For one dollar, this looks way to expensive'. Still a little doubtful of the necklace, Jack kept it on as he booted up his PC, wanting to kill some time before his mom got home in about an hour.

What happens when she arrives?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)