More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by dick88 dick88

First things first: What does the 'Ship' look like?

Alcubierre Starship Model (Main Storyline)

[Author's Note: This is the Main Storyline. The Captain is Male. And If you read the Defaults, I'm going for a harem.]

Struggling through the scrap heap that is planet Fortuna, you only chose to visit because of the large discounts on; pre-owend [used], and rare [obsolete], and limited edition [defective], starships [cars for space travel]. Fortuna is one of five satellite planets or planetoids or dwarf planets (whatever you please) orbiting the last prime planet, Minora (yes it is considered a full fledged planet even though it's smaller than Mars, bigger than Mercury though). Fortuna at them moment is the furthest habitable planet in the system for the following month.

The snow that had fallen earlier in the day had all but melted in the mid-day sun, with only a few stubborn patches left; but would start falling again sometime before sunset. The Far-Rim planets or the outlaying planets are the industrial might of Copious. They are too cold to grow crops, climate too terrible for tourist spots, and on top of it all space travel made mining and extraction industries have an easier time doing their business in space.

On the bright side building things in space is far too much of a hassle. Since the advent of cold fission, zero point energy, and ion technology the ability to launch things into orbit has become super cheap; not to mention Space Elevators and Worm-hole tech. Both Zero-point energy systems and Worm-Hole technology are rare to extremely rear in use. Both require very sophisticated parts; but with WH tech its space bending properties (like warp tech) makes it dangures for planet-side use and its use is outlaw on all IF planets, ZP is banned mostly out of fear that it would be weaponized but only at small scale private use, and large public use it is highly regulated.

The strong sigh that is exiting your lungs indicates your disappointment at all the 'craptastic' choices left on in the "Discount Area" of "Affordable Bill's Spare Parts Acreage". But as you feel hope escaping you, the glint of the Copius Sun blinds your right eye for a second. Immediately you shade your eyes with you hand and by some magical luck you discover a mostly intact starship that peeks you interest. Almost instantly you recognize it from the consumers guide for spaceships; it an Alcubierre Model, 7th generation. As you dash over to inspect it you notice the faded letters "IX_ ENT____S"

"...9th Ents.." you read out loud. But what really catches your eye is the extensive modifications, it was retrofitted at least twice from what you can tell. It is extremely well preserved for it's age, especially since it a 7th Gen, which means it's seven generations removed from humanities first Faster-than-light spaceships. Most starships are no longer designated by the generation that built them, because of their vast multitude and impressive durability, they are often time bequeathed at to the next generation.

As you take another and closer look you see it was originally a battleship, to be specific: Defender Class Cruiser Mark II (Mark II: means it was smaller than a Mark I cruiser). It's now a transport/cargo vessel and was most likely retrofitted after its second 'upgrade'. You also notice that it's weapon system are all gone maybe they were salvaged or removed during it's retrofits, you have to add a defensive system in it's wake. So all in all it appear to be big enough for a permanent crew complement of 12.

Despite that you enthusiastically claw at the airlock hatch, you bend muscles you don't normally use, but this is a special case. grunts escape your lips and in swift moment of glory, you summon strength you didn't know you had, no sooner than later you hear the massive 'thunk' then numerous 'clicks' of the gears beginning their turn the hatch open. Slowly and teasingly it opens, you set your right foot inside, it will always be something you remember. But the rest of the inspection is a fuzzy blur, all you can remember it the excitement that increase as you move from room to room as you realize this is all you really wanted from a ship. A small smile creeps up as you dash away madly to the sales office tens of yards away. Thirty yards, twenty, you're almost there, then within ten yards you yourself to slow down.

Now begins the hardest part: negotiating, with a salesman no less. As the always try to gauge you out of hard earned creds you remain on high alert. You begin by mentioning a few ships you saw, with '9th ents' mentioned last, also with least enthusiasm. As you expected every ship you 'peeked an interest in' he shoots up the price. Minutes fly by as you haggle for no other reason than to wear down the 'enemy'; you even agree on a 'discounted price' only to dismiss it one after an other. Finally you begin to bluff, you turn to leave, the salesman is to make a buck and worn down with all the haggling so he bring to your attention the last ship you mentioned. In a pleasant surprise he actually gives you a fair price, still you haggle it down, successfully getting a 20% discount. High on a sense of accomplishment you walk away from the office once the official papers are signed. Content with all that transpired you walk toward your new ship, all the while on the inside you are screaming your lungs out in celebration.

Unfortunately the last owner had named the ship "Transient", because he was so hard up for cash he sold the rights to it's original name... Enter... something. 'At least it yours now', you think to you self.

"So what now?" you say out loud to nobody in particular as you place your hand on the ship.

You realize that you are going to have to fix it up first. And with just a hand full of credits, you know you can't afford a full crew compliment yet, let a lone the 7 necessary to operate this ship. You can probably hire 3 people if you're lucky, 2 most likely.

So who will it be? This is the best time to check the Classifieds.

Who do you hire first? A Ship's Engineer? And who else?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)