More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by 11kestrels 11kestrels

Where is Nancy?

A meeting with Duvall

(This story idea comes from the show itself. It's how things might have happened if Carlene had covered for Syd and Nancy when they were called in for an emergency meeting by Duvall after his warehouse burned down. Warren has already confided to Syd that he is none other than the elusive kingpin Gabriel Knox, a fictitious identity established by the DEA. This leaves her with a lot of doubts about what she's getting involved in, but still, she decides to go on with the meeting, so Nancy won't say "swish, swish" to her anymore. We now pick up the action where they've just entered Duvall's mansion.)

Neither Syd nor Nancy were very sure why Duvall had called an impromptu meeting, but they knew they had to attend if they wanted to keep their cover intact. They had very little time to prepare for anything, and it was like going in blind. They were both searched at the door by Duvall's men who confiscated their guns.

As they entered the Room, Duvall smiled cheerily at them, then said, without missing a beat, "My warehouse burned down today."

"That's what happens sometimes when you have rats that chew on electrical wires," Nancy interjected.

"You don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation," he retorted as he pulled the charred remains of a smoke detector out of the pocket of his robe. "All the smoke detectors should have warned us of a fire. You know what this is? It's a bug made to look like a smoke detector! There is a rat somewhere in my business, and I intend to find out who. That's why I called this special meeting for all parties cncerned!"

"We tried to warn you LAPD was watching you," Syd interjected.

"Yes, you did. But that doesn't tell me who's betraying me," Duvall shot back. He looked beyond Syd and Nancy and smiled. "Carlene, thank you for coming."

Syd and Nancy both turned around, and there before them stood Carlene with four of her men as escorts. They both looked at her, then at each other.

Carlene decided it was best if she played it cool. She knew exactly who Syd and Nancy were, and she knew exactly why they were here. They weren't here just for Duvall, but for her alter ego, Gabriel Knox. An alter ego she shared with Warren Hendrix. She looked at the two detectives and smiled knowingly. She had dirt on them, and she could use this dirt to her advantage if she played her cards right. "So, Bishop, what is this all about?"

"I'm sure you're aware by now my warehouse burned to the ground. Fortunately, there was no product there to speak of. Somebody here in this room betrayed me. All the smoke detectors in the warehouse were bugs. No one knew there was a fire until it was too late."

"A very misfortunate accident, Bishop, but Mr Knox had nothing to do with it. Nor did I or any of my colleagues," replied Carlene, carefully measuring her words. She looked at Syd and Nancy. "I believe I know one of these women from Florida. I don't believe she or her associate here would have anything to do with it either."

This puzzled Syd and Nancy, though they breathed a deep sigh of relief.

"You know her from Florida?" Duvall was curious now.

"Of course, I do," answered Carlene. "This is Nina Beckham. We had some dealings together in Miami. She's on the level."

"Well now that just creates a big problem here. If you vouch for her and her partner Jody, that clears them and you of any suspicion. It doesn't answer who the rat is."

"Then I would start looking at your own people, Bishop," Carlene replied without hesitation. "The rat is among your own ranks." She looked at Syd. "It's nice to see you again Nina. How about you and your friend come with us? We can talk about old times. Catch up. Maybe we can even do some business together again?"

"Maybe some other time," answered Syd. "We're kind of swamped right now..."

"Oh, but I insist!" Carlene smiled cattily. "I'm sure Bishop would like to see his most trusted associates get to know each other better. Right Bishop?"

Bishop laughed. "By all means. I think you should get reacquainted and introduce your new partner to Miss Hart. We'll all be working closely together so that makes good sense. Put the online gambling aside for one night. Have a good time and get to know each other. You can go now. I'll call if I need you."

Carlene confidently walked up to the two women. "Come along girls. The night is young, and it's just begun. We have lots to talk about, and lots of fun things we can do." She took Syd and Nancy by the hand, and led them to the door where her men were waiting.

Syd and Nancy knew they had but to play along with Carlene if they wanted to get out of there. They walked out of Duvall's mansion surrounded by Carlene's men. They entered Carlene's limo and drove off into the night.

What happens next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)