More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 6 by FallenSaint FallenSaint

Can she keep her hands off Rienlest tomorrow?

A Reminder

Ethimilee's morning was like most others for the Elven Queen. She rose early and made her way to the throne room where her advisers were already gathering. She listened to reports on harvests and local disputes, answering them the best she could and taking advice for the issues she wasn't sure of. Next she had to meet with the war counsel to hear scouting reports and approve tactical plans. Broden once again seemed to have some of the better plans, and as usual faced some of the biggest resistance. Gailand Brand had been keeping himself quiet in most of these meetings, but he suddenly spoke up in Broden's defense. With Brand's backing, some of Broden's plans actually gained approval and Ethimilee voiced her agreement. There was something else odd about the meeting though. Broden seemed a bit tired, but the Orc was always well rested and ready for anything.

Next on hr agenda was breakfast. She met with her daughters who were oddly tired as well. When she decided to ask them about it, they simply said that they had been practicing for the festival late into the night. Ethimilee found herself thinking about how she hadn't danced all that much lately. She wondered if she might be a little rusty as well. After breakfast, the girls said goodbye to their mother to go practice their music, leaving Ethimilee a few hours of free time. She drifted through the castle and out to the practice yard where she found Mis'Ra drilling some of the soldiers in the use of the bow and Broden practicing alone with his duel blades. Elven archers had always been called as the best shots in the world, but Mis was putting her men to shame. The eight men were only hitting the center of the target every few tries, but Mis was hitting it with every shot with almost casual ease.

The female Orc would fire off a shot to demonstrate, then would help each of them with their technique. Ethimilee was amazed with the way the men were responding to her. Slowly, they were each getting a little better with her guidance. Broden had stopped his whirling dance and was sitting down to have a drink from his water skin. Ethimilee sat down beside him and together they watched the archers take a few more shots.

"Some of them have the makings of good scouts."

"They do? It seems like Mis is showing them up."

"Everyone starts somewhere," Broden said with a chuckle as Mis, smacked one of the men on the back of the head for a poor shot.

"Did... Did he miss on purpose?"

"Noticed that huh? These eight come out every day to practice. When Mis isn't around, they hit the target dead center almost every time. When she's here, they continued to miss more than they hit so she'll keep instructing them. Too bad they don't realize that she is on to them."

"Are you saying they like her?"

"Something like that."

"Ah... Lust then...."

"She's just waiting on them to get the balls to ask."

"But I thought you and her were...."

"Mis? We're childhood friends. She and Gaine share that honor I suppose. The three of us were always together in our youth. In all honesty, she was my first. Gaine's too." Broden paused, a smirk playing on his lips that Ethimilee desperately wanted to ask about, "but we've never been serious. An occasional tryst here and there to calm the nerves or dispel stress. She's a free spirit and I'm more stable. Gaine had a rather painful crush on her for years, but finally settled and married someone else instead."

"So no one special in your life?" She was amazed at the sadness that settled over Broden at that simple question. His shoulders slumped and his eyes misty.

"No. I've had feelings for someone, but.... Never known them to be returned."

"I... I see." She felt like she needed to change the subject, so she quickly added, "I can understand why they practice like they do, but why are you here? I've seen you spar with others and it seems like you are unbeatable."

"Far from it my lady. Its like.... Its like a dance. The more you practice, the better at it you are. If you don't practice, your skills wane and you can miss a critical step. In battle, I can't afford to miss that critical step."

Once more she found herself reminded that she needed to brush up on her dancing, though Broden was an unlikely source. With a sigh, she stood and stretched.

"I can see your point. I suppose that I need to take that as a lesson to live by. Thank you for the talk Broden, but I have some things I need to do right now."

She excused herself from her Bodyguard, wishing she could have stayed longer in his company, and headed for the music room to do her own practicing.

Does she dance alone or find a partner?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)