More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Bluequoise Bluequoise

Time Passes

10 years later...

Willowbridge was barely a town worth mentioning, the soil was too rocky for agriculture, the terrain was too hilly for pastures, and not wooded enough for lumber. The abundance of shrubbery was about the only thing that grew as far as the eye could see which was either very far away, or next to nothing depending on where you stood. The only things worth mentioning if you passed through were the impressive bridge, and the fortress on the other side of it.

In truth Willowbridge existed because of the fortress and the ravine that couldn't be crossed by caravans unless they were willing to travel over a week out of the way along either direction. The ravine wasn't very impressive here, but the closer you got to the mountains the more steep and traitorous crossing it became, and the other direction lead out into the endless wastes known as the Dru Steeps. Willowbridge also happened to be along the most direct route between the two great cities of Triticus and Grumen 'Kal.

Because of the trade road Willowbridge saw a lot of merchants passing through, making the only inn and tavern in town, the Withered Wench, often the busiest place around. Here you could catch up on all sorts of gossip, business news and political changes that only mattered to people who were traveling out of Willowbridge. For the most part the townsfolk themselves were very uninterested in the greater world and even less interesting to those who visited.

But also of note in this town was the petition board. Many sell-swords and adventurers passed through this town and sometimes they were running a little short on travel expenses. Sometimes the fort would also post requests for jobs that were either too small for actual military action, or just as tokens of good will to the towns folk.

This board was the objective of one man entering the tavern. Ignoring the waitresses who sold food and drinks, and walking right past the women selling themselves he walk directly to the board without looking to either side. He was covered from head to toe in dirty armor that had enough dents to prove it had been useful, but without any damage that would lessen it's value in combat. The simple dome helm had a visor pulled down that covered his eyes and nose but left his mouth open so he could eat without having to remove it. His appearance was otherwise unremarkable except for the black cat that rested casually in a basket on top of his travel pack, and viewed the world with the apparent boredom that cats are famous for, regardless of the color of their fur.

Alex looked over the missions, the one that caught his eye was a request to deal with a tribe of Orcs who had set up camp a few miles away from the town. This tribe hadn't shown any hostility towards the town but their proximity was making many of the towns people uncomfortable.

(Orcs? I haven't tasted Orc in a long time master.) The voice in his head mewed.

Alex frowned as he took the petition down, (It looks like the fort doesn't think they're a real threat. The offer of pay is small compared to the danger of an Orc tribe if they get provoked.) Alex shot back.

(Still it's been up for a few days so no one else must think the reward is worth the risk.)

(Probably) Alex thought with nonchalance as he carried the bill across the bridge to the fort.

At the gate he was stopped to inquire after his business. Passage was granted when he displayed the bill of petition. As it turned out the mission was simple enough, find out the reason the Orcs had set up camp, and find out what it would take to get them to leave. The Commander of the fort didn't see the tribe as a threat to the village and didn't think any hostility would be found if negotiations were attempted, but unless the tribe approached him he also didn't see any reason to get personally involved.

"Boring!" whined the cat once they were out of earshot.

"Nothing is ever simple. I'm sure the job will get interesting for you." Alex replied.

At the camp

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)