More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by fifal fifal

Where to Start?

[New Game] Graduation Ceremony

Maia Eidola stood proud and unwavering in the dry heat of The Spinning Lands. On the outside she looked to be a shining example of posture and poise. Unfortunately her insides were a cacophony of emotions, screaming at her in a disjointed union, each one trying their best to get her attention. Maia wasn't one to crack under pressure however, she had developed a passive meditation technique capable of quieting her emotions. At least for the time being, that is. She envisioned herself sitting in an empty space, her emotions and thoughts swirling around her, futilely screaming their demands. Although it was fragile, a brief mental peace fell upon her. The emptiness drifts away, and her surroundings come back to her. The hundreds of others in identical clothing next to her, the well-lit stage on which her entire future relied, and the breeze caressing her skin.

With her true home of The Brightgates so far removed from her memory, the brick walls of the academy were the only place that she felt like she belonged. Maia was well liked around the academy and was a model student being both a dedicated worker, possessing intense focus and drive, and possessing a deep Ri reservoir, even if it lagged behind some of her more talented peers. {if Height ID = 1}She was always one of the smallest ones in her class, cursed with a petite frame and distracting curves. For many of her peers, it took quite some time before they could get past her cute exterior and acknowledge her for the talented Ri wielder she was on the path of becoming.{elseif Height ID = 3}Standing at her full height, she towered over most of her peers. Upon first meeting her, many of her classmates went one of two ways: viewing her as a rival or imagining her naked.{else}Maia was special in many ways, but her body was remarkably average. She wasn't tall or short, not overweight nor underweight. Deep within her averageness there was a warm comfort that most found fundamentally attractive.{endif}

Maia was aware of someone wretching a few rows away, but the information was dismissed before it could take hold in her mind. She was always easily influenced, so focusing on the anxiety of someone else was a surefire way to invite her own anxiety back in.

"This is it, just gotta sit through a Headmaster Rafinn speech one last time. After that the Schools get to present, and then it's time to make my final decision." Maia thinks to herself.


Headmaster Rafinn walked to his podium on stage, steps forming a perfect rhythm that any graduate of his institute could immediately identify. Although all the eyes were on him, he was one of the few people in attendance that has no anxiety or fear. Rafinn was a rigid man who lived his life exactly as it was defined, and there was no one better to define it that Rafinn himself. He projects his voice masterfully and gives an impassioned speech on the future of the world and how to make it a better place.

Everyone was enthralled by his powerful words.

At least that's what Rafinn assumed, since the past 29 times he had given this exact speech it had achieved such results. Rafinn himself was a master of tuning his own voice out, since otherwise it was sure to drive him as insane as other people who spent time around him.

"And without further ado" Rafinn continued, tuning himself back in for the remainder "I can no longer consider you all as my students, but now as my peers, fellow Ri users, and fellow members of the Lands"

Rafinn paused for applause

It came, just as it always does.

Continuing Rafinn announced "Now we get to the main event, so to speak. As I am no longer your Headmaster, I can no longer command you, so rather I offer you this advice. Listen well to the next three speakers, as their words and your understanding of them may change the course of your life."

Rafinn walked offstage as a pair of well dressed individuals walked on.

The duo was comprised of a tall skinny man, who could only really be described as either bony, wearing a deep red tunic and trousers, gold buttons inlaid his outfit as he exchanged a few quick words with his partner, a woman of similar build, although with slightly more feminine curves. She was wearing a similarly styled outfit, although visually distinct, partially helped by her vest being a deep purple albeit holding the same golden buttons.

They represented the Nova school, with the majority of their presentation being about the social connections and material benefits of their School. Despite the recruiting talk, Maia was able to get some useful info.

Nova School

  • Representatives are Algorr and Eleniia
  • Utilize Ri by forcing it to take physical form
  • Have some sort of connection with Spinning Beasts
  • Can create some elements (Eleniia made a Flaming Bird from Ri?)
  • Potentially can be massively destructive

The next presenter was from the MV School and, true to their reputation, the presenter was just a bit off kilter. Maia managed to get some notes, mostly focusing on the live demonstrations. The man presenting was tall and lanky with massive hands, he wore his hair long and his beard only partially trimmed.

MV School

  • Representative is Jayce
  • Breaks down Ri into particles, allowing them to spin directly through solid objects
  • Very useful when not in direct combat
  • Seems to be the place for people incredibly nerdy or extraordinarily quirky
  • Jayce disintegrated a full watermelon, then put it back together?!

The final presentation was from the Dyn School. A trio of representatives took the stage: an elderly man with whispy white hair and a dazed look in his eyes, a younger male with a strong jawline and a carefully planned amount of facial hair, and a strikingly beautiful woman with flowing black hair walking with a bit of extra sway in her hips.

Dyn School

  • Requires a year in The Conservatory
  • Is actually a collection of three related schools, Dyn, Lat, and Western Dyn
  • Dyn is the precursor and the focus of The Conservatory
  • Lat is the most popular form of Dyn. Seems to be used to create close range weapons.
  • Western Dyn looks similar to Lat, except if focuses on the skills and abilities, not the weapons.
  • Some techniques from one School can be learned by students of a different School
  • Has destructive potential to rival the Nova School

The past few hours had seemingly flown by, with each of the three major schools giving their best pitches to the students. Rafinn had taken the stage one last time, only to announce that all the Schools, including the three that gave presentations, have recruiters standing by. With a final, terrible attempt at a joke, Rafinn declared them trespassers, and that anyone who hadn't decided by tomorrow would be re-enrolled in the academy for another year.

This is it, this is the choice that decides Maia's future. What path does she follow, what dream will she chase?

What School does Maia choose?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)