More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by grimbous grimbous

Let's make some characters

[Author's Note] What's this all about?

Hello Readers.

You are probably wondering what this story is all about. The answer is simple, as a collective you will be helping to build a group of D&D characters for an upcoming story I will be writing.

In my previous stories I have experimented with offering the readers choice at certain key times on where the story went from there. These experiments have been fun and interesting and I thought I would try my hand at writing an interactive story where the readers helped direct every single chapter. This will be a "choose your own adventure" in that you as a group will choose where the story goes as it is being written, though in the end there will be only one story path from start to finish.

In this spirit I thought that before I actually started that story I would give you the readers a chance to help create the protagonists of that story. And thus, we have this story.

This will not be a proper story in and of itself. This is really just a prelude to the real story to come and also an opportunity to see if there is any interest in this idea. If there is little interest I will likely just try something else.

Before we start I want to address a number of things regarding this story and the one to come.

The Story Setup

In the upcoming story the idea is going to be that Damien somehow magically causes the players to actually inhabit their characters within the fantasy world they are playing in. Once they wake in the new world the players will have all of their memories of the real world but also have the skills, knowledge, and memories of their D&D characters. Though it might take a little time to get in touch with the latter. The alignment they choose will also start to have an effect on them as they go forward in the story.

Rule Zero

I am not even going to try to adhere strictly to D&D rules. Please, don't get too caught up on exact rules or abilities or monster stats or any of that stuff. D&D is just a loose framework for the story to happen in. As the author I will be taking many liberties.

Options and Voting

For the main story to come, at the end of each chapter I will list two options to take the story forward. Simply 'like' the option you like better and after an unspecified amount of time I will add a new chapter to the winning option. Then two options will be presented at the end of that chapter, and the next, and the next. In general I am thinking there will be two options each time. Every once in a while I may offer three options, but in general I want to keep the options under control. Basically A or B each time.

Between the voting process and writing of the chapters the upcoming story will proceed at a fairly slow pace. There is not much I can do about that given what I am trying to do. Even this character building story will be fairly slow as we go through the various options one stage at a time. I apologize in advance for some of the super short chapters in this story, but I wanted to get through character creation fairly quickly so I can get on to the main story by next week. This will be a long term project though, so be patient.

Any option still open for voting will have (Vote) in the title. I will remove this flag and possibly delete the losing chapter once I've decided to close the voting and start writing a chapter.

Character Creation

The character creation voting process will go as follows. Gender, Race, Role, Class, (Religion for Divine character), and Alignment. A vote will happen for each option and each character. (Disclaimer, I doubt it will happen but if we end up with a group of all males I'll probably take some liberties and change a few.)

The Role vote will happen one character at a time. The Roles will be: Martial, Rogue, Divine, and Arcane. I want to have one of each in the story so as one is chosen it will not be an option for the rest of the players. I'll start at Conor and work down. Dan will get whichever role is remaining at the end.

Details like stats, background, and specific skills will be skipped during this process. I may put up full character sheets once the main story starts if I think there is some value in it.

For my sanity and in the interests of speed you won't get a full suite of options at each vote. You'll have a couple options each time, just choose the one you like most or hate least.

If you have any particular ideas leave them in the appropriate character's comment section. I don't guarantee I'll use them but I will read them and consider them.

Variables

I realize the upcoming fantasy story is the perfect opportunity to use variable player and character names but I don't think I am going to. That said, feel free to leave some suggestions in the comment section of the appropriate player.

To be blunt, as a writer I am not a big fan of variables. For me they handcuff me and make the writing flat. Take 'Dan' as an example. As I write I might call him Dan, Daniel, Danny, Dannyboy, Dan the Man, etc, etc. If 'Dan' is a variable it is the same name each and every single time. Take 'Thorak the Destroyer' as another example, perhaps in the course of the story he becomes 'Thorak the Destroyer of Orcs' due to some cool thing he did. Again, if it is a variable, I can't do that. I can't play off of or reference the names in any way.

My Limitations

Be warned in advance, like anyone I have my limits on what themes and fetishes I am willing to explore. Some things will simply not be an option. Also, I find it a bit boring to just write chapter after chapter of uninterrupted smut, so expect the occasional string of chapters to focus on plot or character interaction.

Feedback

I ask that you do please try to be respectful to myself and each other in the comment section. I'm not here to 'hone my craft' or make the most popular story on CHYOA or write the perfect piece of erotica, I do this for fun and entertainment. I don't mind feedback and discussion, but it is so much better when it is upbeat and positive.

Game World and Campaign Details

Game Rules: 5e D&D. Core three books only. However, remember Rule Zero above.

Campaign World: A "standard" D&D homebrew setting. I will add details as they become relevant. I didn't want to have to worry about working around another campaign world's canon. This being CHYOA it will obviously be an X-rated version of standard D&D setting.

Campaign Style: I'm going for a action oriented typical heroic adventurer style of campaign story. Probably only one character maximum will be evil.

Okay, sorry this was so long. I have no idea how this will turn out, I hope this all works out. I am looking forward to seeing how this goes either way.

What's next?

  • No further chapters
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)