More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by protoborg protoborg

Before we get into the action: Who ARE you?

"Protoborg"

You really should have gotten to bed that night, but you were just too damn excited. You had finally gotten the job you always wanted; working for the most prestigious game company in the country, Millennium City Software. You drove all night just to get here early enough to get your things unpacked and still have time to get to your new job early. You figured for once in your life you would be early to work. Hopefully, it would make a good impression with your new boss. Unfortunately for you, Fate was not on your side. It seems that you never saw the road turn sharply to the left. You also didn't see the building until it was FAR too late to stop. The last thing you saw before you died was the sudden and VERY loud explosion of the illegal munitions. You hoped that in the next life you would be more careful when moving to a new city.

...

At least you thought you died in the explosion. Waking up in the hospital was the last thing you thought would happen. To be fair, the last thing you thought was that the fire and shrapnel was going to hurt like hell when it hit you. You never did find out just how right you were as the next thing you remembered was waking in the hospital with tubes coming out of your various openings. The beeping monitors were likely what had actually woken you after nearly a week in a coma. The first thing you saw was the nurse standing over you. When she saw you awaken, she ran out of the room to summon the doctor.
A few minutes later, the doctor entered the room. He walked over to the side of your bed and looked down at you.

The look on his face was unreadable to you, but you waited patiently for him to say something. After a few moments, he went and looked at your chart. He hummed to himself as he read it slowly. The seconds turned into minutes as the doctor infuriatingly continued to say nothing to you. You started to sit up in order to get a better view, but the nurse pushed you back down. Grumbling softly to yourself, you tried again. The nurse again pushed you down with a glare. You had started to get really annoyed with the whole process. Just as you were about to protest, the doctor turned to you and cleared his throat.

"Well, it seems you have finally recovered. We had a bet as to when you would awaken. I guess I won. He he."
"Doctor?"
"Yes, Nurse?"
"Is it really appropriate to be making jokes right now?"
"I suppose you are right." He turned to you and smiled. The smile, however, did not reach his eyes. "As for you, young man, there are some questions I need to ask you before we can release you. Well, release you from the hospital. We are not done with you, however. You will need to come back in for physical therapy once a week until you are strong enough to do the therapy at home."

You get a look on your face that must show concern as the doctor comes over to the side of your bed. He kneels down and puts a hand on your arm in comfort. You try to shrug him off, but your arms are still strapped to the bed.

"Don't worry. We notified your boss. He said you could take all the time you need to recover."
At your confused expression, the doctor said "We found the recruitment letter in the remains of your things. Sadly, there wasn't much left of your other possessions."

That statement was of little comfort, but it was something to hold onto as your rehab progressed. Unbeknownst to the hospital staff or yourself, you were actually developing into a Super. There was one person (or persons) who knew of your condition. That person (or people) was the Meta-Human Mobilization Department. Since that day, you have long avoided registering with the MHMD, but at the time you were not even aware the MHMD existed. They damn sure knew about you though! Since the number of "super-villains" had risen so quickly, the MHMD had implemented a new policy whereby they tracked every new arrival in Millennium City. They got the idea from the US DHS. Much like the DHS's policy, the MHMD's decision was NOT popular in the slightest, especially with the villain crowd.

But that is a tale for a later time... or is that tail?

Six weeks later...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)