More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by bricktamland bricktamland

Who does she say she is?

"Hi, I'm just here to clean."

"I can see that. I need to come in to get some papers for Ms Hastings." Kelly pushed past Elizabeth, clearly in a hurry. Elizabeth fumed. How dare she just push past like she was some, some...

Elizabeth realized she'd appeared as just the housekeeper to Kelly, and nothing more. Who asks a housekeeper for their name?

Kelly was in Megan's office, clearly getting frustrated as she rummaged around. "Damnit, where the hell are those papers?" Elizabeth quietly walked over to the office door. "Is there something I can help you with?" she called out, softly.

Kelly shouted back, "I seriously doubt it. Megan said the papers were right here on the desk, but I don't see them anywhere. Did you move them when you were cleaning Ms... what did you say your name was?"

Elizabeth blinked at the rudeness of the woman in the business suit and scrambled to come up with a name. "I'm uh, Isabel. Isabella."

"Ok, Isabella, did you see the papers I'm talking about?"

Elizabeth thought, and then answered, "Yes, I think so. I had to move them to clean the desk. They're in the cabinet, top shelf."

Kelly opened the cabinet and breathed a sigh of relief. "Finally. Thank god."

She left without bothering to say thanks to the housekeeper.

Five minutes later, Elizabeth got a text. "Thanks Liz! Kelly mentioned my new maid 'Isabella' was helpful. haha! Good choice!"

Elizabeth texted back "You're welcome MS HASTINGS, lol ;-P" She giggled and set the phone down. It almost seemed like she could hear some kind of white noise coming from the phone, but she dismissed it out of hand.

Later that day, Megan came back from the office, arms full of files. She set them down on her desk in a heap.

"What are these?" Elizabeth asked, a bit shocked at how her sister had dumped them.

"Files from the meetings today. I need to review them before tomorrow. I have to organize them and then figure things out from there. Hah, I don't suppose you could start cooking for me too?" Megan joked.

"Normally, I'd say no. But I think I saw something in the freezer today I could heat up for you."

While she was eating at her home office, Megan and Elizabeth chatted, "Hey, that was good today with the Isabella thing. But the team is coming back from the Europe branch next week, and will probably be in and out of the house some. The office is getting refurbished and I'll be working from home some. You're going to have to get practiced at keeping that cover as long as you're working here, just in case. I think it would be best if, just while you're working at the house, for you to always call me 'Ms Hastings.' I'll just start calling you Isabella, so we can get used to it."

Elizabeth could tell it wasn't completely a request, but she didn't see a reason to argue. If her younger sister needed her to pretend, she could pretend. "Yeah, that's fine I guess. I wasn't thinking really, it just came out."

"Well it suits you. Oh," Megan stopped. "That reminds me. You're dressed a little, how can I put this, grimy. Not a real professional look, yeah? Kelly didn't mention anything, but I know she noticed. You need to make sure you are dressing more like a housekeeper, and less like an old mom about to paint the walls, got it?"

Elizabeth felt the command in her little sister's voice. Normally, she'd bite back with some retort, but for whatever reason, she kept her mouth shut. We need the money, she reminded herself.

"Let me think about it?" She asked.

"Fine, but by next week, we need your cover solid."

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)