More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by 24ward 24ward

Who are these women and why are they here?

researchers

Lamumba is, anthropologically speaking, a total mess. The country's arbitrary borders remain the same as in colonial days, and contain numerous antagonistic tribes. There is a huge disparity between rich and poor, north and south, Muslim and Christian, urban and rural, in additional to the tribal divisions.

Seanna O'Neal is a doctoral candidate in anthropology with a specialty in African culture. This despite the fact that the 25 year-old redhead is from Ireland and now studies at a university in Canada, and has never been to Africa. But she intends to rectify that by taking a month-long research project to the various regions of Lamumba. She figures this trip will make the difference between another few years spinning her wheels as a PhD student and finally passing and spinning her wheels in academia.

Seanna even arranged for a young undergraduate to accompany her. Nicole Cambridge is almost 20 years old: she's not that bright, and says she's interested in black culture though she lives in one of the poshest parts of Toronto, but her parents are fabulously wealthy and are paying to send Nicole themselves, so no cost to Seanna. Nicole has a nice body from her training as a gymnast and cheerleader. She has shoulder-length blonde hair.

So when Seanna hears just before their scheduled departure that Lamumba's government is on the verge of collapse, she considers cancelling the trip. But she has a lot riding on this, and besides, it might provide even more fascinating research about tribal conflict. She might even be able to stop sleeping with her thesis advisor and pass on her own merits! Besides, Seanna decides, she speaks some of the language and even in the midst of a civil war, no African would dare lay a hand on a white woman. They will probably be praised for their courage.

So, Seanna and Nicole land in the airport of the capital. Seanna decides to check in with the Irish Embassy and is told that the situation in the country is grim. 'Perfect,' Seanna thinks, smiling. She discourages Nicole from calling the Canadian Embassy. No point in upsetting the girl. We're here now and we're not leaving.

What do Seanna and Nicole do next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)