More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by BirdOfHermes BirdOfHermes

Which pair do you wish to follow?

Yuki and Maya

There's something of a siren's call about thumping music and chants of "Chug!" on a college campus, even more so when it's coming from a house with Greek letters above its entrance. Be it the ease of establishing social circles or the desire to celebrate liberation from parental authority, fresh faces eager to storm college life gravitate towards a fraternity party. No matter the histories, there exists a single common theme to each member of such a party: the desire to socialize. Blossom at long last or relocation, it doesn't matter so long as the ultimate desire is connecting with people. This makes it all the more unusual that meek Yuki Miyamoto was one of the partiers.

Despite her exemplary grasp of the English language, Yuki seldom spoke outside of class. Few would recognize her even in her native Tamano. Books were here portal to the world, not interaction with people. The company she kept consisted of her parents and the members of a book club she stumbled into during high school. While the latter did little to combat her shyness or develop her conversational skills, it did open her up to American literature, a passion that consumed her enough to learn English and its dialects as well as transport her across an ocean for comprehensive study on the subject.

Yuki was the epitome of a bookworm, and logically concluded she'd never be at a frat house enjoying Jello Shots, even if she was against a far wall and drinking as a means of distraction. Yet here she was, discovering she needed more than to stave off suitors even if it was doing a great job numbing her fingers and toes. Of course, many would have also logically concluded that living in a foreign country with the nearest family member about 5,000 miles away and a few programs dedicated to helping such students feel safe would her out of her shell enough to have more than just one local friend, and would forge said friendships upon their similar personalities or interests. When that friend was also the lone other Japanese national in the dorm, however, the logic skews in a different direction.

Maya Sasaki was a business major and transferred only to improve her English in preparation for the competitive job market. While she was nearing fluency, the only thing she had on her mind anymore was pleasure. The sweet nectar of beer had led her to neglect her studies as she steadily found ways to avoid paying for her new friend's company. Most notably had been a few wardrobe changes. Her clothes wrapped and strained around her curvaceous form, with thinner material up top to ensure cold nights made her the center of attention. Maya had also sacrificed her mother's old fashioned notions on cleavage and showcased the top of her massive melons anytime she wasn't video chatting with family.

Between the flaunted figure and the natural benefits of being an Asian with accented English, Maya found her belly as full of as her wallet was full of money. This had the effect of impairing her ability to get home safely. Fortunately, Maya had met a few girls along the way willing to double with her. Unfortunately, they all had other plans tonight. However, Maya did have Yuki.

The two bonded over the safety of familiarity despite the stark contrast in their personalities. That said, Maya wasn't illiterate, and Yuki's life had more than literature. Bonding ensued over music, movies, books, and more. It seemed an uncommon friendship, but Maya had an inclination that this wasn't mere chance. Maya was outgoing and needed stability, and Yuki was balanced and needed gregariousness. And now Maya needed someone trustworthy to accompany and protect her. It has to be a red letter day in the making, she reasoned.

An hour and a half into the party, all that was proven was Yuki could follow the important rules: always keep Maya in sight, and always walked over when Maya scratched her left leg with her right foot three times. However, Yuki was failing to open up, and forgot she was the designated sober. The end result wasn't ideal. There was no rational mind to guide them right and Yuki remained withdrawn, but Maya's lone concern was the latter.

"Yuki!" Maya called over the music. She kept to Japanese only out of habit. "What are you doing here by yourself?"

"I'm not interested in fucking." Yuki replied. "That's all the guys want. Everyone else does too probably. At least one of them was nice enough to tell me how good Jello shots are."

Well, the circumstances are right, Maya thought. Yuki's words were slurred as much as Maya's, and her sentences more lowbrow than normal. The booze was definitely helping. Furthermore, as prone to analyzation as Yuki was, she was swayable. Now all Maya needed was a good idea. She looked around, tracing every inch of the scenery, hoping inspiration would strike. From the strobe lights bounding around the ceiling to the pool and garden outback, not one atom was left unexamined.

Pool, Maya thought, concealing a grin. "I got it! Let's go skinny dipping! It's one of the most open things you could do! And we use onsen! It's practically the same thing!"

"In an onsen, one doesn't swim around so much. It's mostly sitting. This combined with the mineral-rich water leave nothing on display unless entering or exiting." Or perhaps, "I'm not from Awara like you, and I'm from a relatively rich family that purchased a splendid house. I don't use onsen or public baths very often." Either would have been the natural reaction of a sober Yuki. Instead, she nodded her head and followed Maya out the front door.

Even while drunk, Maya still had enough wits about her to know the empty pool at the frat house meant they'd be a spectacle; although, Yuki's eager nod means she probably could have gotten away with that until the next morning, and that could be blamed on booze. But Maya wasn't going to chance that. Seclusion or bust. It was the only way to minimize the fallout. After all, she wasn't just risking a friendship.

After all that time bathing around her hometown, Maya had thought the nude form couldn't excite her, especially if it was a slender, boyish body like Yuki's. Yet there she was one night, covertly gawking at Yuki in the hall showers as her heart raced. In fairness, it was an accident - the shower curtains are noticeably undersized - but it still made Maya halt in wonder. She wasn't sure of the exact feeling, but she surely wanted to explore it. She'd be lying if she claimed the nudity wasn't a factor in this suggestion.

The duo stumbled about for a few minutes before their noses were assaulted by a chlorine scent. Just beyond an aluminum fence lay the treasure they sought: a swimming pool illuminated only by the stars and moon, only crickets piercing the silence. Without a second thought, or a second glance, Maya checked the gate's latch, and grinned when it gave under her touch. She and Yuki wasted no time shedding their clothes and making a very big, very loud splash into their private party.

Unfortunately, the Asians made three big mistakes. First, they attempted this drunk, and on their own no less. Sure, they had been thinking somewhat rationally thus far, but motor skills and mental skills aren't always effected the same way, and they've yet to really test the former tonight. Second, they hung their clothes on the fence. In fairness, clothing security at a Japanese bathhouse isn't a very big concern, but this little transference could be a big introduction to American customs. Even so, the baskets sheltered garments from the freeing effects of the wind. Third, they failed to check the building overlooking this pool. They didn't know if there were signs of life, a security system, a chance of the campus police confronting them, or even if they were still on campus. All they knew was they found a pool for skinny dipping.

Then again, some mistakes go unnoticed. Maybe there would be no consequences for these blunders. Maybe Maya would get her chance to explore this situation uninterrupted. Maybe the whole night will be left entirely to their deliberate actions.

Does tragedy strike? Or is all fine at first?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)