More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Mazer Mazer

Who are you and what will you do?

You are a Soldier of Justice.

You awaken to a life, a life that is not your own. Are clearly out of place since the last thing you remember is a bomb going off on the bus you had been taken to work. A woman you had a crush on and regret never asking out is sitting across from you, her name is Mary and she works for a publishing company making advertisements. The two of you had often talked on the way to work, little did either of you know a bomb was going to go off today and both of you would make the news.

You are a retired soldier from the special forces, you had witnessed one to many war crimes and for the Silence, your government asked of you asked to be dismissed, with honor and end your contracted 4 years earlier then expected. You are 26 years old, you had been in the special forces for 7 years and had planned to be in another 4 had you not witnessed things you felt you should not have. You had taken a job as a security expert at a company that worked with the metro police setting up cameras that watched over the city to help prevent crime. Some people claimed issues of big brother, but people like Mary often thanked you for what you did. You mainly took up this job because you realized everyone needed a witness to be able to allow for justice to be had no matter what the crime even if people would be to late to stop it. In your campaign to set cameras you also added more lights for night time to allow the cameras a better view, for a while crime had started to stop.

But now you awaken from your past life in River world, you have fuzzy memory of your life and you are one again armed to the teeth in military wares you know how to use it all with little or no issue. In the special forces you had been stationed in a jungle area, so your standard gear consisted of a bullet proof vest/ flak jacket, thou yours had been different from most and protected from bullets as well as knives and other sharp objects. It also had space to hold your grenades and bullets and other stuff, you feel around and notice you had everything you had on you from your last mission. And it is one of the few memories you clearly hold at the moment, you recall how you had to kill lesser soldiers from crimes against a woman and child. And how you had removed the gear from there body as well as the dog tags after you put a bullet through each one of them, the man and the dog tags. You had been stationed in Colombia in the war on , but this crime committed by your fellow soldiers was not the first. You had witnessed crimes your government would not allow you to stop committed by the enemies as well.

You reach around your pack to find that you had each of the dog tags you clearly remember turning over to your superiors, with your statement that you saw to it that justice was had because when you gave the order for them to stop since the mission you had taken was of the utmost importance and they had broken protocol to behave as they had. And the fact that this was a do or die mission with no possible claims of the government claiming soldiers if captured you figured justice was your right to ensure the mission had gotten carried out. Your superiors had not been pleased with you killing your squad but the fact you had carried out the mission after being to kill them impressed them and allowed them to let you go back to being a civilian after you reported what had happen so long as you never told anyone what you witnessed. After recalling all of this after touching the dog tags you growl, reach up to pull yours off your neck but you notice a young woman by the river, and come up on her. She looks at you shocked for a moment but she reaches out and stops you from taking off your tags. She bows and gets you to bow before her, as she does so she takes a bit of water from the river and pours it over you. She says something in Spanish you don't make out and then she smiles at you.

You look at her a moment and realize it is the young girl you had saved but she seems to have grown a bit older, you wonder why she once again stands before you and where here is to be exact. A moment later in English she says " I bless you soldier for you have done crimes in my name for my lord to protect me from the things that could have happen and protected the honor of my mother as well."

You look at her a moment as if to ask what is going on, as you look into the sky you see many moons in the sky over head in the day time and you hear, " Soldier we are not in a place of honor, and you are hear to try and protect others like me from people like the ones you have protected me from before. People like me one day have to learn to be more like you, but til that day comes we have people like you. Or so the message was told to me to give you, they said to tell you. That all thou you saw no honor in the marks of your government, they wanted you to wear them as proof of who you are. And I should ask you to stop from removing them, we are no on earth any more. Are time has come and gone, and they asked me to tell you soldier that my mother and I had lived a very long life thanks to your actions."

You shrug at her, " If this is not earth and you have a message from someone to give me, how long have you waited for me? And how did you know I would be here?"

She looks at you a moment, " They told me, that a time would come for me to need to be on the river and I would feel the pull to the river when that time was. I have been here for many many years, I have witnessed many things and have harden myself to this world. I know things, but many of these things are things I can't tell you. You will need to find the way of this world for yourself as you did back on earth. This place is called River world, people you know will be found here. People from books even, people who you might wonder as to why the makers of this place would even bother to bring back. Bad horrible people, but people none the less. This area and this village is one of the better ones, the areas around here do a fine job protecting it. But in every direction are threats to be dealt with, let it be none. That few are as armed as you when they show up here, and even fewer truly have the skill to use what they show up with".

You look at her a moment and ask " What did you show up here with, besides clearly being older then I remember you last. And having a message to pass to me from someone other thing god."

She looks at you a moment thinks and says, " I showed up here with the clothing on my back a suit of blue much like the one you will find on the river side for you to take with you should you wish to. Most are not given what you are, but I was given understanding. As well as a few tools to help me make a bit better life then most. I had an Axe, the message I was given said I was to help the people around me to understand and to wait for others. I was to try and keep the peace, and get others to move out from here to defend the ones here. it has worked. I have gotten them to do that, and I was to prepare for you. They marked you thou soldier by not marking you as they marked the rest of us".

You look at her funny and she raises her arm to show you the bracelet around it, " This is the mark of the makers of this world, they sometimes give more to some then to others and don't give them the bracelet. Some of these people are bad people, some of them are good. You soldier are a good man, you are not the first to not be marked to show up here. Others have passed this point before you, some of them not as armed or prepared as you are. Some of them have been killed by others like you on this very shore, the makers of this world tell us they will show up else where. Finding your way back after a on river world is often the struggle of struggles. The river goes one way, goes another. If you die and fall into the river, you are more likely to return to your friends then if you die on the land. But in your case soldier you will mostly lose what makes you special in this place, and someone else will take it and use it. So dying here is not a good thing for you, many kill themselves along the river as soon as they learn this. To allow themselves a chance to show up else where in hopes of finding a loved one or a person they miss, or in hopes of finding a better life somewhere down the river."

You look at her funny for a moment and shake your head, " I have no plans of following that path, I had no loved ones. And the one person I died with that mattered to me. She is mostly not even here, I am very upset that I died if that is the case and even more pissed off I had not been more careful."

The girl laughs and says " The Soldier of Justice is upset over his , kinda funny don't you think? finding no justice in your own ?".

You look at her for a moment, before asking " Why do you keep calling me the Soldier of Justice?"

The girl smiles and says " I am called the prophet, or the voice or enlighten one. In this place I have no name, the makers tell me to call you the Soldier of Justice. And when they told me this, I knew who you would be. You are my soldier, not mine to order just my soldier. The one I looked up to in the darkness as I got older, the one that inspired me to change my country and get rid of the bad things that once stood in there place. The makers of this world, had almost made me like you. But they decided I should improve the world as I had are own, improve this area and place and give you and others time to adjust so I got a bracelet and a message, and became the messenger."

You look at her and shake your head, " So when can I take off these dog tags? and when can I trash these old ones? from the trash I cleaned up on your behalf so long ago I guess it would be."

The girl once again smiles and says " The ones you hold, they are tags of men who are here, but they are names of people other then the ones you had killed. Some are whole if you look over them, others are damaged as the ones you had used as evidence in the report you gave. I know your life as much as I know mine, it was in the message. They showed me your life to allow me to relate to you better then the ones who came before you. Since you are the one I sent the others ones to help me prepare for and protect."

You look at her a moment and ask " So your saying, you lead others like me in a constant fight to protect this land or area of land to prepare for me to show up after my ? How long have you been here waiting?"

She smiles and shakes her head, " Far to long, the river is not always kind to us. But I as I have said have seen far more here and helped far more and done far more here then I ever would have in my old life. I unlike most have not lost hope, the makers make people like you to maintain the hope. Or to destroy it, the makers do not always see eye to eye."

You feel around your pack and pull out a candy bar you remember giving her in your past life and her eyes light up, you hand it to her. " I am guessing this was here as a greeting for you, since I have no reason to keep it."

She smiles and nods and says " Follow me back to the camp, and please keep your gun across your back, if you feel the need to stay armed please do so with your smaller hand gun with the gun pointed at the ground and safety on?"

You nod and follower her back to camp.

The village, do you find another face you know from your past?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)