More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by tallywhacker tallywhacker

How do you answer the woman's question?

You're a mom first

This was all strange and unfamiliar to Jessica, but she tried to put it in terms she understood. While her children kept her from wasting money on the lottery, she had seen what it could do to a person. Even winners ended up regretting playing since they couldn't comprehend their money.
You resolve not to fall for that trap and think of things you need before pleasure.

"The kids go back to school soon, so do you have any school supplies."

Heather looks quizzical at your request and takes a moment to realize what your asking, "Do you mean educational material? Barnes and Noble has a suite of career oriented thought implants."

"Barnes and Noble?"

"Was yours one of the planets they tried selling anachronistic media to?" Heather chuckles at the thought. "Anyway, we have series on naval combat, xenomorphic dentistry, atomic psychiatry, omnilingual hostage negotiation, and pretty much any other occupation you could name."

You browse over a selection of boxes. Each has a cartoon man performing the fantastical job provided. "Which one teaches times tables."

"I think it's covered in 'Accounting with Chaos Theory."

"Look, this is all very interesting, but do you have anything that will get my kids through high school?"

Heather ponders this for a time, struggling with the limited scope of your request, "We have a few remedial courses intended to provide sufficient education for social acceptance. It's intended for cyborgs and clones so they aren't an embarrassment every time they open their mouthes. It assumes it's teaching things growing in tubes, so it shouldn't skip anything, and it's subsidized, so you could get a kit of them for like five creds."

You look at the package. It takes a bit to puzzle through, but you figure out it comes prebuilt with college level math and science, and will generate courses for local history, literature and etiquette. It sounds like the best you're going to get, so you get three, so each of your kids can have their own.

"You know, these are reusable." Heather offers.

"Yeah, but they don't like to share."

"We have a few courses for training pets and slaves."

"No!" You spit, then stop in shock... "Slaves?" You ask incredulous.

"As merchants, we view providing our customers with whatever they desire to be our primary morality." Heather drones like she's reading an employee manual. "In accordance with temporal perfect edicts from The Fourth Imperialist Crusade's Treaty of the Gamalon III with the Zamouf Trans-Dimensional Republic as witnessed by the Prime Movers: all slaves on site are generated on demand and will only possess souls on request of the buyer, or have wholly voluntarily sold themselves into slavery even after offers of survival assistance for themselves and their families and extensive counseling, furthermore in all cases they find their status as chattels non-onerous and emotionally fulfilling. No guarantees, express or implied, are made by Pyramid Mall or it's affiliates and purveyors that any of these traits will carry on to their offspring, who per the temporal perfect edicts you are contractually obligated to give manumission in the event they do not." Heather perks up once she finishes her company-mandated speech, "We'll forward your purchases to your home once you finish your shopping spree. Now, where to next?"

Learn a trade, buy slaves, or get some pencils and other 'basic' school supplies?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)