More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 6 by Xenolan Xenolan

What happens now?

Valerie makes a discovery

You return to the castle by the back gate, and turn over the Sultan's horse to be led to the stables for water. Entering the main keep, you find Duncan waiting for you.

"She is unhurt, Sire," Duncan says quietly once you are close enough to hear a whisper. "Mademoiselle Valerie and her handmaiden are caring for her. I sent Magnus ahead to clear our way so that no one else saw us."

"Thank you, Duncan," you reply. "Do you believe she is the Vixen?"

"I do not know. She has said nothing, Sire. She matches what scant description we have, but so would fifty maids in the Kingdom."

You nod. "I will see to her myself," you say to Duncan.

"Sire, the opening of the celebrations... it commences in two hours and you still must get ready, it would not do if you were late -"

"I will be there," you assure him. "But I must see with my own eyes first that she fares well. One other thing - I want you to go to the Inn of the Dancing Maiden and speak to Melisande. Ask her, as a personal favor to me, to deliberately start rumors that we took a boy from Sir Reginald's tower, where he was being held prisoner for some petty crime. The rest of the details may remain vague - say that he was caught stealing from Reginald's men, or that he threw a rotten cabbage through the tower window, anything except that it was the Vixen. Assure Melisande that I will explain later why this is important. If any rumors are started which hold truth, I want them overwhelmed by false tales."

"Understood, Sire. I take my leave." Duncan heads away at a fast walk.


You ascend the steps to your chamber, barely noticing those who automatically jump to the side as you pass (one advantage to being King is that when one is in a hurry, no one gets in the way!). When you arrive in your rooms, you dismiss your valet and remove your boots and other muddied clothes yourself, changing for the moment into a dressing gown. The royal ceremonial robes are laid out for you, but you do not wish to go through the rigmarole of dressing in them just yet.

Once your glass shows you a reflection that is at least somewhat presentable, you go through the passage behind your bed which leads to the bedchamber of your mistress, and scratch at the door. In a few seconds, Valerie answers.

"Is she all right?" you ask Valerie without preamble.

"She is as well as one could expect," Valerie replies. "Yvette has helped her to bathe and is assisting her now with dressing. Duncan has explained everything. I have never cared for Reginald, but I would not have thought him capable of this!"

"I need to ask a difficult question," you begin, but Valerie holds up a hand.

"I can guess what it is. The answer is, I do not believe she has been by any man. I have seen the aftermath of that before, and she does not show the signs. But she has been badly frightened, of that I am certain." Valerie pauses. "And, I believe she is the Vixen."

"What makes you say so?" you ask.

"Her hands. Her fingers are calloused just like a bowman. And, she walks like one who is accustomed to moving silently. But there is more..." Valerie looks about her, then whispers low to you. "I believe that she is of noble birth."

"Go on," you prompt.

"I have had guests from the village before, and every one of them on her first visit looks about in awe at my chambers, unused to the richness of the furnishings and the view from the balcony. This girl barely raised her head."

"She may simply have been recovering her wits. She's had a bad time."

"Yes, but she also knew exactly how to stand and hold herself when she was dressed," Valerie says. "It is a clumsy and awkward thing to be dressed by someone else when you never have been before - you must know this, you had to become accustomed to it yourself. Yet she stood gracefully, accepted Yvette's assistance, and knew just what to expect. Yvette did not notice; she is used to doing it for me. This girl, the Vixen or whatever her true name is... she has been raised as a lady, perhaps even as a princess." Valerie suddenly kisses you, then holds you close and rests her head on your chest. "Whoever or whatever she is, Xavier, you are a good man for having rescued her," she says.

"There will be consequences," you say, returning her embrace. "I was not gentle with Sir Reginald. He was frightened at the time, but once he's had time to straighten his spine, I am sure he will seek retribution in his own way. I'm afraid I've made an enemy today."

"It was worth it, my love."

"Yes, it was," you agree. "I must prepare for the ceremonies myself, and it is probably best that I leave you alone in any event," you say to Valerie. "Please, let me know when she is ready to see me."


Your valet has finished helping you with your complex and rather uncomfortable outfit for the opening of the ceremonies when the you hear Yvette's small, quiet voice through the speaking-tube at your bedside. "Mademoiselle is ready now," she says.

Returning to Valerie's room, you are momentarily startled to see the transformation of the young woman who you released from chains that morning. She is clean and groomed, her hair tied back and her lips faintly touched with color. The dress that Valerie chose for her is dark red with black lace, in deep contrast to her pale skin. She is younger than she had first appeared in the cellar, scarcely older than Yvette's eighteen years... though her eyes have clearly seen much more of a dangerous life.

"Your Grace," she says softly, with a gentle curtsy.

"I hope you are feeling better now," you say.

"Much, Your Grace. I am most grateful to you, more than I can possibly say. You have treated me with kindness and generosity I have not known in many years. Those men harmed only my pride, but I feared much worse." She absently rubs her wrists, which you can see were slightly chafed by the irons - though the creams which Valerie uses to help maintain her youthful glow should help with that, and you are sure that Valerie would have spared some for her.

"There is a question I must ask," you say, "although I am nearly sure of the answer already."

"You need not ask," she says. "I am the Vixen. And now, I suppose I am your prisoner, Your Grace."

What shall you do with her?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)